What rifle should I buy? | Page 20 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What rifle should I buy?

I'll take Flaherty's over Fail and Lemorons any day of the week. Much better service, plus you're supporting a local business. Competitively priced, too.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try Flaherty's tomorrow. Just like car shopping one dealers says this, while another says that.... some say the 870 sucks, while others say the quality issue has been fixed. Same goes with the Mossberg 3 barrel package. It was so much easier buying the BPS for my son than choosing one for myself.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try Flaherty's tomorrow. Just like car shopping one dealers says this, while another says that.... some say the 870 sucks, while others say the quality issue has been fixed. Same goes with the Mossberg 3 barrel package. It was so much easier buying the BPS for my son than choosing one for myself.

I was lucky that my brother-in-law, a hunter with 30+ years experience, sold me his 870 package. He was an army weapons tech in his past days, so I know my 870 was cared for and is as reliable as a swiss clock.

I got my first turkey last spring, day after opening day (26th of April) with a 28" smooth bore on the 870, full choke, and #6 shot. I don't know how old my 870 is... but I would guess at least 10 years. It works great.

The one thing to consider, if it matters to you at all, is the shotgun listed with the most accessories available is the 870. It can accept Chinese barrels meant for the Grizzly shotgun as the Grizzly is based on the 870 -- for example:
https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/grizzly-remington-870-folding-stock/
https://www.canadaammo.com/product/...-dominion-arms-grizzly-remington-870-shotgun/
https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/2-shot-mag-extender-for-grizzly-and-remington-870/

It is also easy to find chokes or any replacement part at any retailer. I have no idea how the other shotguns compare for finding parts as I have never owned one.

Last edited:
Fishing world in Hamilton is a great store. They have a nice mossberg 835 buck & tom combo 12g that falls into your budget.

I've handled and fired both but my experience with smoothbores is pretty limited. Liked the way the Mossy cycled and shouldered better, plus it's lighter. <-- Not an expert opinion Also, the Benellis are worth the extra cash if you got it lying around.

Thanks for the help. After visiting several gun shops, and lots of hemming and hawing, I ended up buying the 12 ga. Winchester 28" SXP Black Shadow 3.5" chamber with 3 Invector + choke tubes. Not as nicely finished as the Browning BPS Hunter I bought my son, but I'm sure to have some fun. Now to find a spot to pattern them and a guide to take us on our first hunt (Turkeys) - yup, we took the course. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.

SXP Black Shadow is a very smooth-cycling gun. Light, which may be an issue if you go crazy with hot loads. It's definitely on my radar and the Turks have a proud tradition of making good smoothbores. Unless I see Supernovas go on sale at Flaherty's next month, I might give it some extra serious consideration, especially since my main interest lies in rifled barrels and I'm having trouble justifying $600+tax on a shotgun to myself lol Then again, there's always the "buy once, cry once"...

Thanks for the help. After visiting several gun shops, and lots of hemming and hawing, I ended up buying the 12 ga. Winchester 28" SXP Black Shadow 3.5" chamber with 3 Invector + choke tubes. Not as nicely finished as the Browning BPS Hunter I bought my son, but I'm sure to have some fun. Now to find a spot to pattern them and a guide to take us on our first hunt (Turkeys) - yup, we took the course. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Take me with you. lol

Buy a turkey choke......

Hit the farms and knock on doors ask for permission to go hunting, unless you have friends that go Turkey hunting, not many hunters will give up spots they already have claim too...

Thanks again for all the help, we will be going to Oshawa Skeet and Gun Club to fire our first shells, then try to bag some turkeys.

I've decided my first restricted firearm will be a S&W M&P in 9mm. Probably gonna do some trigger and sight work and use it for IPSC after I use the next year to practice with it.

Also got in and paid up my dues to the Algoma Rod and Gun Club, $315 for the year and no additional fees (besides for trap/skeet etc.) 24/7 indoor pistol range at 15m. Very excited

Last edited:
A couple of notes..

1) Running 9mm luger will leave you at a huge disadvantage at any decent distances that rifle matches are being held. Go with .223rem. It's just as cheap as 9mm

2) Rifle matches are not a given in our IPSC section. While this year we have 1 rifle and 2 3gun matches, in the last 4, there were only 2 official rifle matches held.

3) You might be better off diversifying into other disciplines like 3gun/multigun, service conditions and CQB. Only CQB has 9mm as a viable caliber

4) In general you're better off running a drop-in trigger.. Also for the AR platform, there's never an end. Mine will be getting a loudener (comp), free float and a buffer (cheaping out on the trigger for now). General rule of thumb is that the optics should run the same amount of $$$ as the rifle itself

A couple of notes..

1) Running 9mm luger will leave you at a huge disadvantage at any decent distances that rifle matches are being held. Go with .223rem. It's just as cheap as 9mm

2) Rifle matches are not a given in our IPSC section. While this year we have 1 rifle and 2 3gun matches, in the last 4, there were only 2 official rifle matches held.

3) You might be better off diversifying into other disciplines like 3gun/multigun, service conditions and CQB. Only CQB has 9mm as a viable caliber

4) In general you're better off running a drop-in trigger.. Also for the AR platform, there's never an end. Mine will be getting a loudener (comp), free float and a buffer (cheaping out on the trigger for now). General rule of thumb is that the optics should run the same amount of $$$ as the rifle itself

The M&P is a 9mm handgun :p but I do appreciate the AR advice all the same as that's number 3 or 4 on the "do-want" list.

Do-want:

1. 9mm duty-style handgun (check)
2. Model 94 in .45-70 or .30-30 (checkarooni)
3. SKS (Check, russian laminate)
4. Ruger SR-22 (more expensive than I thought)
5. Colt M1911A1
6. AR-15 build
7. Norinco M305 in .308
8. Remington 700 in .300UM or .338 (for moose)
9. Hand cannon
10. Accuracy International AWM in .338LM
11. Start my WWII battle rifle collection

Last edited:
The M&P is a 9mm handgun :p but I do appreciate the AR advice all the same as that's number 3 or 4 on the "do-want" list.

Lol had me a bit confused since this was mostly a rifle thread and S&W does make an M&P line of AR's, so I figured they might also come with 9mm uppers ;)

Lol had me a bit confused since this was mostly a rifle thread and S&W does make an M&P line of AR's, so I figured they might also come with 9mm uppers ;)

I guarantee they do :p but you're right 9x19 would be silly in an AR

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I guarantee they do :p but you're right 9x19 would be silly in an AR

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not necessarily.. Run it in a short barrel (7-11") upper and you get a half-decent pdw for any vehicle-mounted personnel that needs to keep the "collateral damage" down. Wouldn't be a bad option for law enforcement as long as they had a real rifle for backup. With that being said, those who hate us because we suck have a better solution for that usage scenario :cool: I know some guys who run CQB matches with 9mm uppers or pistol-caliber carbines, though.

First off, I intended to post this in the "We know you ride, but do you shoot" thread, but I think that thread is gone.

That thread never went anywhere. There might be value in the moderators combining both threads!

Back
Top Bottom