What rifle should I buy? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What rifle should I buy?

Here's the Cadillac of SKS scope mounts - Choate.. $80ish from hical.ca, drill and thread the receiver and bolt the mount directly to it. You'll never lose zero and it allows you to use your irons. No-brainer if you just wanna use one sight.
Choate_3.jpg

A cheaper, more versatile option, as effective as Choate would be to get an AK-style dovetail mounting plate (UTG makes'em and they also require drilling/tapping the receiver; I ebayed mine for under $20 shipped) and you can use any AK scope mount. I got one of these http://dx.com/p/fishbone-shaped-aluminum-alloy-scope-mount-side-base-for-ak47-44089 even though I'll get another.
sku_44089_1.jpg

Toolless removal and attachment without losing your zero and they hold their zero for anything but precision marksmanship. Most people don't have a practical reason for that but I can put it to a good use at my range. Price is half of Choate, but you have to source 2 parts separately, from a practical standpoint, they should be the same. - the side rail is for a tactical light, which means it's useless lol

You could go for a scout mount that doesn't require drilling and tapping. The cost is about the same. They replace the rear sight, so you either don't get to use it or you can get one with a built in rear sight but the problem is that it's identical to the stock sight which is brutal.
SKS-with-UltraDot.jpg

My recommendation is to take a pass on that

I definitely recommend upgrading the irons eventually, and Tech TS100 or TS200 are the only options that aren't a waste of money in comparison. Garand-style peep, works GREAT and you can use it with your stock front even though you're better off going with a thinner post (cheap enough). $80-90 range, only available from hical.ca. US sources won't ship to Canada

TS200.gif

Receiver cover rails or handguard rails or any other rails won't hold their zero. They can still be useful for other accessories, like a front grip for example. I'd definitely invest in either a buttpad (cheapest option) or an adjustable stock as the furniture on these rifles was designed to be used by stunted, malnourished 5'4"/120lb peons, so if you're anywhere close to normal size, you need to extend it a bit to make it more comfortable for shooting. You could go with the black rifle look of Tapco furniture, sniper rifle (why on an sks?!) look of a Dragunov-style stock or just get a friggin 1-2" buttpad lol

IMG_2384.JPG

Note that I do not recommend this sight mounting option, just showing what a more modern stock looks like.

Last edited:
And less than some people spend on a set of wheels.... They are a good example of Non-R semi auto black rifles that would probably appeal to ex infantry coming from an AR platform in 5.56 and 7.62 NATO.

Buy a war relic was covered.

If you don't mind me asking, where'd you pick up the Tavor and for how much?
I've been mulling over picking one up.

still surprised it's non-restricted

Sorry for the thread-jack OP.

as for hunting with a .223/5.56, don't do it. It won't kill the deer. You're likely to just maim it and never recover it.

If hunting is in the future and you don't want to buy another rifle, get a .30 cal rifle. My suggestion would be .308 Win (which is 7.62mm NATO). I'm not sure how accurate surplus/chinese military type rifles are, but in the brush of southern/central ontario, you're likely not going to need long range.

All the deer I've ever bagged has been within 100 m

loading your own ammo also dramatically reduces cost per round (i'm told)

I know it's a bit pricey, but have you looked at the Browning BAR semi-auto hunting rifles? their quality and accuracy are very good. A friend of mine picked up a used one for $800

BAR-ShortTrac-Realtree-AP-MID-031031-m.jpg

Last edited:
can someone explain that to me? how are AR-15 (10 rd cap) mags legal??

its a loop hole. LAR 15 is manufactured and registered as a PISTOL....pistols are limited to 10 rounds.

Because the LAR15 magazines are marketed and sold ONLY for LAR15 they can be 10 rounds....the fact that they fit into an AR-15 is irrelevant.

Now if the LAR15 magazine was marketed for AR-15 as well, then BLAMO it automatically gets limited to 5.

its a loop hole. LAR 15 is manufactured and registered as a PISTOL....pistols are limited to 10 rounds.

Because the LAR15 magazines are marketed and sold ONLY for LAR15 they can be 10 rounds....the fact that they fit into an AR-15 is irrelevant.

Now if the LAR15 magazine was marketed for AR-15 as well, then BLAMO it automatically gets limited to 5.

And on the same principle, I'm hacking one of my SKS' to accept an unmodified XCR-L pistol magazine - 10rds of 7.62x39 goodness - just the way Comrade Simonov intended it :cool:

I know about the loophole, although i still have trouble getting my head around it. I.E.: I thought the whole purpose of the magazine capacity restriction was to limit the number of rounds a centerfire rifle holds to 5+1. Being allowed to attach a 10 rd magazine to a centerfire rifle, regardless of whether it's a legal mag for a different pistol seems to defeat the purpose.

On top of which I had no idea someone started marketing an AR-15 pistol!!!
Woah! Just Googled it: that's retarded! how on EARTH is that a "pistol", LOL!!! it's just a Colt Commando without the buttstock!

stupid gun laws...:lmao:

Last edited:
The way the law was written, the magazine itself is a prohibited device. So if the magazine is marketed for a semi-auto rifle and takes 10rds, it's a prohibited device. However, if the magazine is marketed for a pistol, it's perfectly legal. Basically, you can thumb your nose at the spirit of the law while obeying the poorly written letter of the law. All in all, it's a stupid law, almost as much as the ATT shabang.

What do you guys think of the CZ 858?

I think it has what I am looking for in a reliable semi-automatic that uses cheap ammo, and I would consider getting this now in case our next gov't is liberal or ndp and they decide to ban a lot more guns based on looks.

I think it has what I am looking for in a reliable semi-automatic that uses cheap ammo, and I would consider getting this now in case our next gov't is liberal or ndp and they decide to ban a lot more guns based on looks.

EXCELLENT choice. I'm planning on getting one eventually. Reliable, more accurate than the SKS, looks mean, is lighter... Great little gun. There's also a B&T adapter that will allow it to take XCR-L mags if you ever wanna up the capacity. Many contractors in places where we don't wanna be prefer its selective fire cousin to anything coming out of the US or Mother Russia for that matter.

Okay, next Q -- where should I go in the Mississauga/GTA area to get my PAL/RPAL?
Does any place do it for less than $240 or are they all the same?
I might be able to challenge it and pass, but considering I probably forgot lots of stuff in the 20 years I haven't even seen a rifle means I don't really want to risk the $40 plus time just to have to spend more money and time later.

Sorry, a few more questions.

I was just researching the RPAL, and read that:
1. You can only get a restricted license for Target shooting and competition and are a member of a club, a collector and know the history, or employment or protection of life.

I could probably satisfy that under the collector group by getting a Russian Tokarev -- which is the only restricted item I am considering.

Is the collector group what most people categorize themselves as to get a RPAL, or what?

And if so, then this applies: "Consent to occasional inspections of the place where their collection is stored"

Does that mean that a non-collector or a non RPAL holder does not consent to occasional inspections?

At the end of the day, as much as I would love to own a few of the guns on the restricted list, I don't want to give up the police's need to have a warrant and/or probable cause to search my house. Do I only need to worry about giving up that right if I get an RPAL under the collector's reason?

I was not a member of a club when I got my restricted and non restricted. You do however need to be a member of a club to buy a gun for target practice as the temporary permission to transport is from the gun shop to your home and if you want to transport to a club you need to be a member already and they get you the ATT so you can transport to the club to your home.

I was not a member of a club when I got my restricted and non restricted. You do however need to be a member of a club to buy a gun for target practice as the temporary permission to transport is from the gun shop to your home and if you want to transport to a club you need to be a member already and they get you the ATT so you can transport to the club to your home.

Hmmmm... in that case, I wonder if I should get my RPAL? I was thinking of just going to Silverdale once every couple months on a guest pass since I don't think I would get full use of a $300 membership (I work the afternoon shift, so all of their evening events are not possible for me, and I certainly could not go every weekend -- too many other hobbies). I suppose I could still get the RPAL -- unless that automatically reduces my rights/protection from the law -- and just not get a restricted gun until I am ready to join a club.

Last edited:
Try guns.to - excellent weekend course. Go as a sports shooter - that way you have your options open. There was a recent court ruling against the CFO because they denied a guy his ATT due to no club membership even though there are plenty of day pass ranges in Ontario. With that being said, you're better off joining a range at about $200 per year but you can get your rPAL without being a member. I recommend Burlington - 24/7, indoor, heated, 50yd, target returns coming up this month. The inspections are a paper tiger. They don't have the staff to execute them. By the way, I'll be happy to give you a rundown of the basics but you should really join CGN. It's an excellent resource, friendly community and the red rifles subforum is one of the best out there.

Try guns.to - excellent weekend course. Go as a sports shooter - that way you have your options open. There was a recent court ruling against the CFO because they denied a guy his ATT due to no club membership even though there are plenty of day pass ranges in Ontario. With that being said, you're better off joining a range at about $200 per year but you can get your rPAL without being a member. I recommend Burlington - 24/7, indoor, heated, 50yd, target returns coming up this month. The inspections are a paper tiger. They don't have the staff to execute them. By the way, I'll be happy to give you a rundown of the basics but you should really join CGN. It's an excellent resource, friendly community and the red rifles subforum is one of the best out there.

Thanks Firestart. I am on CGN, and I will have to check out the red rifles subforum... but there is almost too much information there. Here I get more direct answers -- and might persuade more non-gun owners to follow suit as well.

CZ makes very high quality stuff from what I hear. I've yet to own one personally though.

Back
Top Bottom