Looking to rent Workshop / Garage space in Toronto? (possibly shared) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to rent Workshop / Garage space in Toronto? (possibly shared)

avsjack

Hello all,

So a typical story I bet, I live in a condo and working on my bike in the basement is seriously frowned upon and I am really limited to what I can do there.

I am looking to rent some garage space where I can work on a couple of bikes, refurbish some small furniture, do a little welding/fabrication and listen to the radio etc.

A place on my own would be fine, but if anybody is looking for something similar, I would be happy to team up? :freaky

Please let me know if you are interested or know of anything, midtown/downtown Toronto would be great for me. Looking for a little old lady I guess, one that wants to make use of her empty garage :wink:

Hello all,

So a typical story I bet, I live in a condo and working on my bike in the basement is seriously frowned upon and I am really limited to what I can do there.

I am looking to rent some garage space where I can work on a couple of bikes, refurbish some small furniture, do a little welding/fabrication and listen to the radio etc.

A place on my own would be fine, but if anybody is looking for something similar, I would be happy to team up? :freaky

Please let me know if you are interested or know of anything, midtown/downtown Toronto would be great for me. Looking for a little old lady I guess, one that wants to make use of her empty garage :wink:

Would be interested but this sort of thing is dependent on the price. Think the problem with renting someone's garage would be heat, electrical and running water...

Rent a storage space. It seems they offer power to the lockers. I noticed some offer them as workshops.

Would be interested but this sort of thing is dependent on the price. Think the problem with renting someone's garage would be heat, electrical and running water...

and liability.

If your garage burns down due to the the tenant renting it, I doubt your insurance company would be very happy.

Also personal injury liability. If someone gets hurt on your property, nothing you can have them sign in advance can prevent them from suing. Case law has been heavily in favour of the hurt party, even if the property owner had done nothing to contribute towards the injury.

Full size van in the condo parking lot? Comes with the radio, you could rig up a generator/welder running off the van motor, small furniture refinishing works. Working on bikes in there would be tight though.

Espro, I will bear you mind if something comes up.

I did look at storage units PSY, but I did not see any advertised as workshops, any specific examples PSY?

I owned a 1400 square foot industrial unit a few years ago and floated the idea of renting out small spaces but the feedback was pretty negative. It costs about a buck per square foot to cover taxes, maintenece fees, hydro, gas, insurance etc. Divide the cost up over eight bikes and it pushed $200 a month all year.

Then the other problems would come into it. Insurance and zoning issues, personality conflicts, security etc.

I got replies offering $50 a month so I sold the place and worked my own solution.

While the OP may be decent, people tend to abuse these situations so the price is pretty heavy. Also do you do enough maintenence to justify a yearly bill of $2400 (using my numbers)

.Full size van in the condo parking lot? Comes with the radio, you could rig up a generator/welder running off the van motor, small furniture refinishing works. Working on bikes in there would be tight though.

Ding ding ding. Lol. I was thinking this exact same thing because it would double as a secure place for the bike when not working on it.

That just made me think of something else. How about an old crappy RV that you could park in the back of someone's property. I'm thinking of someone more out of the city of course. But even me in a townhouse in the middle of Brampton, I. Thinking that could be a decent solution.

I owned a 1400 square foot industrial unit a few years ago and floated the idea of renting out small spaces but the feedback was pretty negative. It costs about a buck per square foot to cover taxes, maintenece fees, hydro, gas, insurance etc. Divide the cost up over eight bikes and it pushed $200 a month all year.

Then the other problems would come into it. Insurance and zoning issues, personality conflicts, security etc.

I got replies offering $50 a month so I sold the place and worked my own solution.

While the OP may be decent, people tend to abuse these situations so the price is pretty heavy. Also do you do enough maintenence to justify a yearly bill of $2400 (using my numbers)

What I plan on doing in there is more than maintenance and therefore the cost for me is justified. I would certainly not be looking into renting 3000 sq ft and then start a full time job organizing it. There is a similar thread on here from last year, it seems to be going really well for them.

I am looking for my own space, if I know someone else is interested like stated above I can broaden my search criteria a little and this will give me more options.

Shame it didn't work out for you, condo life is tough when you have interests and hobbies.

Ding ding ding. Lol. I was thinking this exact same thing because it would double as a secure place for the bike when not working on it.

That just made me think of something else. How about an old crappy RV that you could park in the back of someone's property. I'm thinking of someone more out of the city of course. But even me in a townhouse in the middle of Brampton, I. Thinking that could be a decent solution.

I think you guys have been watching too much Breaking Bad lol

just rent a storage unit. i had a 10x15 climate controlled. i was like 140 a month

I said this before and I'll say it again...there are MANY of us in the same scenario...some of us need the space for storage ,some of us need the space to work on it.ALL of us have the same problem of condo living issues...why not group up and rent a big spot?

How far out are people willing to go though? Finding large spaces in the inner part of the city would be very difficult at a decent price point. Also security is another issue i cant see being sorted. Unless I knew the people VERY well I wouldnt leave my bike in a place where other people have access.

How far out are people willing to go though? Finding large spaces in the inner part of the city would be very difficult at a decent price point. Also security is another issue i cant see being sorted. Unless I knew the people VERY well I wouldnt leave my bike in a place where other people have access.

Security is going to be an issue, but if it came to a point when I needed to share, it would be with one or two, not eight. I am going to continue keeping my eyes out, and when I really neeeeed it, I'll take action.

Yeah location is tough too, this is why I was trying to avoid the storage mart scenario. Although, thanks for the link Yukoner, I need to call the Eglinton and Don Mills location, that is possible. I have been to that one before, the security is really good it seems

That security was the bigger obstacle. On my own I could leave tools anywhere I wanted, lock the door and walk away. I also didn't advertize what was in the shop by leaving the main door open when working on stuff. Having six guys and their friends coming and going could spread the word that the place was worth raiding.

Another factor is that it usually costs more to rent a place that is zoned automotive. If you keep your stuff inside and don't bother anyone you could probably get away without the automotive zoning. However if people started treating the place like a test track another tennant would likely call in the zoning cops.

As you said know your friends VERY well and also their friends.

Liability would be another issue and I wasn't prepared to take the hit for someone elses actions.

I don't call many people liars, but you sir are. What you stated is IMPOSSIBLE to do.

:)

I didn't actually realize that your suggestion of working the back of an old RV in a parking lot or someones back yard, outside of the city was actually a serious suggestion. Would my bikes and tools be safer over night in the back of a 'old crappy RV' or at storage mart unit shared with one other like minded individual?

How about an 8 X 16 enclosed trailer with tipouts or slide outs and a roof that raises? You have to build it.

I wonder if ppl can have a car dome in their parking spot, like the one they use in Quebec.
Your car and bike will be hidden :)
It's not a permanent fixture.

I wonder if ppl can have a car dome in their parking spot, like the one they use in Quebec.
Your car and bike will be hidden :)
It's not a permanent fixture.

If it's a condo, likely not as it encloses a space and would probably need changes to sprinkler systems to meet the fire code. It also changes the appearance of the garage and condos are big on consistancy of appearance. Thin edge of the wedge.

Back
Top Bottom