Quick question for GoPro owners regarding mounts | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quick question for GoPro owners regarding mounts

veno78

I'm about to purchase a GoPro Hero2, the motorsports edition

My concern is with the mounts. Can the suction cup mount be taken off and put back on countless times? I plan on putting it on the body of my car and bike.

Also are the adhesive mounts a 'one time use' only?

I wanted to mount the camera on my helmet and on the side of the bike.

I have this fear that it'll someday fall off due to the mount wearing out and falling off or something.. that would be $400 wasted.

kinda like this: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?157022-Lost-my-GoPro-Hero-2!!!

the adhesive mounts are a 1 time use.

the suction mount is amazing. it can be removed and moved around to just about anything solid. just make sure you wipe the area down so that there is no dirt/dust under the suction so it will stick better

Never tried the suction mount, but the adhesive mounts are amazing, hold up very well. Other member have posted that you can remove them eventually without damaging the surface of the helmet/car/etc.

the adhesive mounts are a 1 time use.
false..the adhesive mounts can be reused or moved around. Use a hair dryer to heat it up around the edges and remove/relocate it. (search on youtube there is a perfect guide)
Also be advised the adhesive mounts can fall in hot summer days.. if they are in direct sunlight.
check out my channel there is a video of my suction cup mount coming off after 3 hours of continuous ride on a hot sunny day..

Suction cup mount has been great on my car on all surfaces (plastic, glass, metal) just make sure the surface is uniform ( can be slightly curved) and clean. I have adhesive mounts on my bike and helmets and they also work great.

Only thing I would change is accessibility to the 3rd party mic jack, I don't know how to use it inside the case (for possible vlogging/commentating
purposes). If anyone has suggestions on this let me know.

I have the motorsport edition too, and yeah the suction cup rocks! But just to be safe, I always tie a shoelace from the camera to something, just to be safe.

false..the adhesive mounts can be reused or moved around. Use a hair dryer to heat it up around the edges and remove/relocate it. (search on youtube there is a perfect guide)
Also be advised the adhesive mounts can fall in hot summer days.. if they are in direct sunlight.
check out my channel there is a video of my suction cup mount coming off after 3 hours of continuous ride on a hot sunny day..

hmm good to know!

Only thing I would change is accessibility to the 3rd party mic jack, I don't know how to use it inside the case (for possible vlogging/commentating
purposes). If anyone has suggestions on this let me know.

You need the skeleton case. Has an opening on each side for all the ports (not waterproof, obviously).

Thanks for the replies guys, I just ordered it. Now we wait.

Tying a shoelace is a good idea, but maybe a fishing line or something stronger instead?

Also what brand SD card did you guys go with?

I have this fear that it'll someday fall off due to the mount wearing out and falling off or something.. that would be $400 wasted.

kinda like this: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?157022-Lost-my-GoPro-Hero-2!!!
The mount does not cost $400.

If you're including the price of the camera, use a small safety line. Some upholstery thread will be cheap and will easily hold the weight of a Go Pro. You will have trouble breaking this thread with your bare hands without injuring your skin. If you want even more security you can find thread that is actually made of metal that will probably be even stronger. Worst case then is that you bang up your fairings a little if the camera is flying around.

damn that acceleration is nuts, I need to get me a 1000 soon.
The 1000 is TONS of fun, on the street and the track. You don't have to worry about which gear you're in so much on the street, pulls like a tank even in 6th :) She'll do over 200kph in 2nd gear too! lol.

On a tight track like TMP it's really hard to use all the power of a 1000. You can see in the video I'm rarely at WOT as I'm usually feathering the throttle to just keep the front tire on the ground!

-Jamie M.

Yeah, the suction cup can fall off. I already know a couple guys this happened to. Would strongly recommend a tether of some kind. I just used the cord you can use for glasses/sunglasses.

imho, the chest mount offers the best view followed by using a boom

I have the motorsport edition too, and yeah the suction cup rocks! But just to be safe, I always tie a shoelace from the camera to something, just to be safe.

+1^ I also noticed that the suction cup doesn't work if it's over top of a sticker label. It needs to be a clean part of the fairing or tank.

I found that the handlebar mount works really well

IMG_20120909_185749.jpg

IMG_20120613_192816.jpg

IMG_20120616_195622.jpg

Get some double sided tape from your local dollar store.... sticky mounts can be re-used that way. And chain cleaner takes all the residue off the bike without harming the paint/clear coat.

I love my rollbar mount. I mount it on the fork. Gives it a great POV.

[video=youtube;k97Ijbgw03Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k97Ijbgw03Q&feature=plcp[/video]

Back
Top Bottom