Top 10 Sci-Fi films of all time | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Top 10 Sci-Fi films of all time

My fav's
Alien/Aliens
Children of Men
District 9
the Matrix
Moon
Europa Report (I can't remember if I liked it, just that it was worth a watch)
Labyrinth (Fantasy, but that's ok)
Star Wars (duh)
Inception
Prometheus - I know it got a lot of hate, but I tried to look past that and just enjoy it. I like that they're pretty much at an alien armoury.
The Abyss
Tron
Cloverfield
I.Robot
Contact - Only because the book is fantastic

That's all I can think of for now,

Honorable Mentions
Pacific Rim
Terminator
Star Trek (new)
Gravity

What about books? I'm very picky with my Sci-Fi books. There's a lot of crap to sift through. I just finished Red Mars, and Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson and they are fantastic. I also suggest the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons as well as Illium.

I was amazed at how great a read Planet Of The Apes is. Can't recommend it enough, and it's sooo hard to explain to my friends that it's not quite the movies.
The same author wrote "The Bridge Over The River Kwai". Just sayin'.

My current (and ever changing) top 10 list includes:

Dredd - love the way he never removed his helmet, and zero romance.
Pacific Rim - this movie rocked my world
Oblivion - the BluRay has a feature where you can watch it with soundtrack only. No dialogue.
Repo Men - for some awesome violence
Attack The Block - It's probably not original, but it's fun.
The new Star Treks, and Wrath Of Khan.
Serenity - all hail Whedon.
Reign Of Fire - for the Bale haters.
12 Monkeys - the television series is filming.
Fifth Element
Priest - I'm the guy who liked it.
...and a bunch of the usuals.

Dishonourable mention: wtf happened to Enders Game? Incredible book. If you haven't seen it, don't.

Dredd - love the way he never removed his helmet, and zero romance. ...

... Dishonourable mention: wtf happened to Enders Game? Incredible book. If you haven't seen it, don't. ...

Those 2 factors solidified "Dredd experience" for me. No cheese.

As for Ender's Game - I waited for that movie for 20 years ... I haven't actually even seen it yet. From what I've read, heard, few short clips - I don't think I ever will. Don't want to get angry.

Those 2 factors solidified "Dredd experience" for me. No cheese.

As for Ender's Game - I waited for that movie for 20 years ... I haven't actually even seen it yet. From what I've read, heard, few short clips - I don't think I ever will. Don't want to get angry.

The Karl Urban "Dredd" was more true to the comic. I had a lot of friends from the UK, when I was a kid, and we'd sit around reading stuff like "2000AD" for hours. "Rogue Trooper" might also make a good movie.

1: Blade Runner
2: Star Wars
3: Tron (and some of the new one as well)
4: Equilibrium(Enjoyed more so than the Matrix)
5: I Am Legend (Crazy to think what life would be like if we didn't have Big Willy Style To Save us!!!)
6: Space Balls
7: Wall-E (Great movie! Don't care what you say!)
8: Star Trek (New)
9: Avatar
10: Evil Dead (Bruce BABY!)

Something I cannot wait for is a new Dune. I want to watch the documentary on Jodorowsky's Dune, but I can't get through the old movie for the life of me. It's friggin bruuuuuutal!

Something I cannot wait for is a new Dune. I want to watch the documentary on Jodorowsky's Dune, but I can't get through the old movie for the life of me. It's friggin bruuuuuutal!

See if you can find a copy of the miniseries then. It's far better and closer to the book. I swear, that crappy movie put Herbert in an early grave.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/

Back to the Future
A Clockwork Orange
E.T. - The Extraterrestrial

John Carpenter's The Thing, best practical SFX ever. A terrific film few remember: Reign of Fire. An oddball French film that always stuck with me: Alphaville.

Serenity got me watching the Firefly series. So ****** off it got cancelled after one season! Such an entertaining show compared to the pulp they usually regurgitate on networks.

Firefly. Yeah. I've watched it a dozen times at least, and it's definitely the best of Whedon, which, in my opinion, is saying a lot.

Watched Moon on Netflix based on the comments - didn't disappoint, though I don't think it's a top ten for me.

Anybody watching "The Last Ship"? Basically it's Battlestar Galactica, but on a ship. (I know.) Much better than the title implies.

Morons from Outer Space.
20508969_main_zoom.jpeg

Just watched Jodorowsky's Dune. Amazing!!! If you happen to download a copy, it doesn't have subtitles. I used the program the guy in this video uses and it was super easy, worked like a charm. Anyone a fan of documentaries or sic-fi should watch Jodo's Dune.

I'll add a couple:

-The Cube
-Logan's Run (Farrah Fawcett -Yay!)
-The Andromeda Strain (scared the crap out of me as a kid!)
-Rabid (Marilyn Chambers)

A lot of classics on the list, can't pick just 10.

Planet of the Apes is my all time favorite movie.

I'll add a couple:

-The Cube
-Logan's Run (Farrah Fawcett -Yay!)
-The Andromeda Strain (scared the crap out of me as a kid!)
-Rabid (Marilyn Chambers)

A lot of classics on the list, can't pick just 10.

Planet of the Apes is my all time favorite movie.

- The Cube - Never seen it. Maybe I should?
- Logan's Run - Farrah Fawcett; yay! Farrah Fawcett dies before she can become annoying; yay! A remake is in the works; boo!
- The Andromeda Strain - An excellent nail-biter, with a sci-fi premise.
- Rabid - That was just odd. Struck me as a sci-fi slasher flick.
- Planet of the Apes - THE ORIGINAL. I saw "Battle for the Planet of the Apes" in a drive-in, when I was 10 years old.

Back
Top Bottom