Top 10 Sci-Fi films of all time | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Top 10 Sci-Fi films of all time

I've seen a few Sci Fi lists and I don't know, sometimes I think a franchise like the Terminator movies started as "Sci Fi" but really just ended as "action" movies. And I've seen people list Predator as a top sci fi movie and while it is awesome and a classic, I never really thought of that movie as sci fi. Like a movie like Stargate is sci fi but is easily digestable so it feels more like an action movie however a movie like Event Horizon is straight up evil sci fi.

Honourable mentions: Mad Max 2, original Total Recall, Children of Men, Moon (starring Sam Rockwell), District 9. I also kinda liked Starship Troopers.

Obscure mention: "They Live" starring Rowdy Roddy Piper was low budget and kinda cheesy but was still entertaining for me anyway.

Interesting list of films although there are some surprising omissions. I am surprised that Joss Whedon's Serenity is missing. While it did not do well at the box office, its continued appeal is testament to Whedon's brilliance as a writer, director, and source of original stories. Dark City is a real gem of a film, much better than the Matrix. I suppose that a sequel would have been difficult.

Eternal Sunshine, in my opinion, is a lesser film than The Truman Show, another of Jim Carrey's better performances. As to Equilibrium, I saw it and I found it to be too forced and slow. I think that the new Judge Dredd film is a better example of this type of film. Karl Urban plays the role of Dredd and his portrayal is much better than Stallone's performance. Lena Headey is scary in this film.

I think that the best piece of work in the Terminator mythology was actually the television series - Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The acting was much better, the stories more interesting (albeit a few were flawed and the writer's strike did not help), and the character of Cameron (played by Summer Glau) was the most interesting of the terminators. Arnold does good work but he is still essentially a one trick pony of an actor.

Another film that will make this list is Looper, featuring the best work done yet by Levitt and Willis. Likewise, another film missing from this list is District 9, a brilliant film that is original and very well done. Last item that should be there is Forbidden Planet done in the 50s. You owe it to yourself to see this gem which features some really interesting and surprisingly good special effects.

Obviously everyone's opinion differs and no one has seen them all but I'm interested to see if GTAM members generally agree with what Google searches come up with or do they have a different taste.
Try to stick to SF, not fantasy or horror. Some are debatable of course.

Here's my list, I'm sure I've omitted something and will regret it later.

1. Blade Runner (took it different direction than the novel but still set the standard for decades to come)
2. Twelve Monkeys (never seen Brad Pitt nor Bruce Willis play better)
3. Planet of the Apes (the oldest movie on my list I think but didn't age much)
4. Star Wars (a bit silly at times but so much fun to watch)
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (great to see Frodo being evil)
6. Gattaca (one of the slowest films on the list and yet so captivating)
7. Dark City (one of the most neglected gems out there)
8. The Terminator (the orginal of course, the 2nd part was almost a scene for scene remake and the others that followed were pure garbage)
9. Brazil (weird and awkward but so unique)
10. The Matrix (a bit of a Dark City ripoff but superb action and suspense nevertheless, weak ending takes a lot away)

Not sure if Being John Malkovich counts because if yes, then I'd replace The Matrix with it.

No order to this..

12 Monkeys: is a good film but it's just La Jetée remade for modern times.

The Matrix: was good but just another hollywood rip off. People argue what it's a bigger rip off of. Still entertaining.

Minority report, Gattaga, Children of Men: are mildly futuristic with good story lines and were IMO under rated.

Blade runner: hope they don't destroy it in the remake. Can't make robots/electric sheep in a format that could hold a typical North Americans attention span.

Akira: Will be destroyed if they make a live action version of this. Dragon Ball Z (garbage) should serve as a warning.

Ghost in the shell: Yes it's another anime but it's still a well made movie. Matrix ripped some concepts from this.

Road warrior: post apocalyptica better than MM and BTD.

A Scanner Darkly: for the attempt at making a rotoscoped film on a decent book.

I like the Predator, Alien, Terminator and Resident Evil film series but don't think any of them were that amazing. Mindless entertainment void of story.

No order to this..

12 Monkeys: is a good film but it's just La Jetée remade for modern times.

The Matrix: was good but just another hollywood rip off. People argue what it's a bigger rip off of. Still entertaining.

Minority report, Gattaga, Children of Men: are mildly futuristic with good story lines and were IMO under rated.

Blade runner: hope they don't destroy it in the remake. Can't make robots/electric sheep in a format that could hold a typical North Americans attention span.

Akira: Will be destroyed if they make a live action version of this. Dragon Ball Z (garbage) should serve as a warning.

Ghost in the shell: Yes it's another anime but it's still a well made movie. Matrix ripped some concepts from this.

Road warrior: post apocalyptica better than MM and BTD.

A Scanner Darkly: for the attempt at making a rotoscoped film on a decent book.

I like the Predator, Alien, Terminator and Resident Evil film series but don't think any of them were that amazing. Mindless entertainment void of story.
because-hipster-cat-is-too-mainstream_o_521147.png

I watched 2001 about 3 times recently. I get it, but I don't get it. I know it's popular to say it's one of the greatest of all time, but truthfully, it would not be in my top 10.

Soylent Green.

Day The Earth Stood Still.

War Of The Worlds (1953)

Alien.

Blade Runner.

2001:A Space Oddessy.

Planet of the Apes

Terminator

in no particular order.

Gattaca is my favourite movie, not just in sic-fi but off all movies. Slow moving yes, but a very interesting story, well done in a classic way that will never look that dated save for the computers.

Gattaca is my all time favourite Sci Fi movie. Almost on the same level as Terminator 2. Highly under-rated.
This is my favourite scene of all time:

[video=youtube;yRynilqRXwI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRynilqRXwI[/video]

I'm gonna force my kids to watch this :rolleyes:

Matrix has a recycled story line. This has been discussed by René Descartés
http://www.iep.utm.edu/brainvat/

I would have to say T2 was one of the best remakes ever. Normally remakes suck balls

My fave sci-fi is also on my list as best comedy.Morons from Outer Space.
morons-from-outerspace.jpg

My top ten list could be a combo of any of the fliks mentioned so far.

Wait, wait, wait a minute, anybody remembers...

Christine!

It's a classic! Both movie and the car.

Beautiful '58 Plymouth.

I'd love to have a possessed car like that.

Last edited:
Nothing constructive to add, just angry that somebody reminded me Equilibrium exists. "Gun kata"? Random dystopian future book burning? Excuse me while I throw up in my mouth a little. And I enjoyed Avatar, but not sure it's a top ten anything.

Just from the other titles in this thread alone, I don't think I could narrow it down to ten.

I can't just pick 10. So in no particular order, those that come to mind:
2001 (lmao)
Contact
Sunshine
Star Wars, Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back
Aliens
Matrix 1 and 2 (without the rave scene)
Inception
Blade Runner
Tron (for its time)
Tron Legacy
The Fifth Element
Terminator, Terminator Judgement Day, Terminator Salvation
Transformers
Star Trek Wrath of Khan
Star Trek (J.J. Abrams)
Starship Troopers (flame away, I don't care. I enjoyed it)
Stargate
Minority Report
Ironman

Last edited:
Well, the majority have been mentioned already (including Logan's Run and They Live!) so here are 10 honourable mentions that aren't necessarily on my top 10...

The 13th Floor
Existenz
Cube
The Chronicles of Riddick
The Last Starfighter
Enemy Mine
Alien Nation
Cocoon
12:01
Barbarella

Aw ****... few more came to mind:

Flight of the Navigator
Freejack
Johnny Mnemonic
Strange Days
Frequency
Galaxy Quest

I know there's a lot of hate for this film but Spielberg's AI was absolutely brilliant.

I enjoyed that one too

Lots of good picks already, can't think of anything to add at the moment. Love me some sci-fi!

I know there's a lot of hate for this film but Spielberg's AI was absolutely brilliant.

I can't tell if I loved or hated this movie. It stuck with me, I guess that's the important thing.

I remember that name but can't recall what it is about

W
Johnny Mnemonic
Strange Days
Frequency
Galaxy Quest

Loved Riddick. Loved Radha Mitchell in it too. Sweaty Radha yummy.

Johnny Mnemonic, thanks for the memories

Sent from my tablet using my paws

The only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is Event Horizon. Was a great idea for a movie with a good story line.

My fave sci-fi is also on my list as best comedy.Morons from Outer Space.
morons-from-outerspace.jpg

"They came. They saw. They did a bit of shopping." Been trying to find that on the net for ages.

"P-E-N-N. I'm not stupid!"

Back
Top Bottom