Top 10 Sci-Fi films of all time | GTAMotorcycle.com

Top 10 Sci-Fi films of all time

DemonPig

Do not cast your pearls before swine
Site Supporter
Obviously everyone's opinion differs and no one has seen them all but I'm interested to see if GTAM members generally agree with what Google searches come up with or do they have a different taste.
Try to stick to SF, not fantasy or horror. Some are debatable of course.

Here's my list, I'm sure I've omitted something and will regret it later.

1. Blade Runner (took it different direction than the novel but still set the standard for decades to come)
2. Twelve Monkeys (never seen Brad Pitt nor Bruce Willis play better)
3. Planet of the Apes (the oldest movie on my list I think but didn't age much)
4. Star Wars (a bit silly at times but so much fun to watch)
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (great to see Frodo being evil)
6. Gattaca (one of the slowest films on the list and yet so captivating)
7. Dark City (one of the most neglected gems out there)
8. The Terminator (the orginal of course, the 2nd part was almost a scene for scene remake and the others that followed were pure garbage)
9. Brazil (weird and awkward but so unique)
10. The Matrix (a bit of a Dark City ripoff but superb action and suspense nevertheless, weak ending takes a lot away)

Not sure if Being John Malkovich counts because if yes, then I'd replace The Matrix with it.

Slightly modified new list:

1. Blade Runner (took it different direction than the novel but still set the standard for decades to come)
3. Star Wars - as an original trilogy (a bit silly at times but so much fun to watch)
4. Gattaca (the slowest film on the list and yet so captivating)
5. Dark City (one of the most neglected gems out there)
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (great to see Frodo being evil)
7. The Terminator (the original of course, the 2nd part was almost a scene for scene remake and the others that followed were pure garbage)
8. Planet of the Apes (the oldest movie on my list I think but didn't age much)
9. Brazil (weird and awkward but very unique)
10. Serenity (simple but so well put together, with a healthy dose of non-cheesy humour)

Films I still haven’t seen but think they have a chance of making the list:
The Quiet Earth
Westworld
Fantastic Planet
Soylent Green
Moon
The Tree of Life

Last edited:
Perhaps Alien? and while not everybody's cup of tea 2001: A Space Odyssey is classic. I also always enjoy watching The day the earth stood still...finally, another great book and movie was The Andromeda Strain.

Obviously everyone's opinion differs and no one has seen them all but I'm interested to see if GTAM members generally agree with what Google searches come up with or do they have a different taste.

8. The Terminator (the orginal of course, the 2nd part was almost a scene for scene remake and the others that followed were pure garbage)
10. The Matrix (a bit of a Dark City ripoff but superb action and suspense nevertheless, weak ending takes a lot away)

Bang on with Blade Runner as #1....but I respectfully disagree with 5, 6, & 7.

I'd put in there instead:

Alien/Aliens
Jurrasic Park
and even the Fifth Element.

Though I'm sure we all got different tastes ;)

Here's my quick list:

1. Blade Runner
2. Empire Strikes back
3. Alien
4. Planet of the Apes
5. Aliens
6. Star Wars
7. The Terminator
8. Predator
9. The Fifth Element
10.Jurrasic Park

Aliens...all
Blade Runner
Terminator 2 ..all combined
Star Wars...ac
Planet of the Apes...ac
Matrix...ac
Space Balls
2001 Space Odyssey
Twelve Monkeys

Love Space balls....always laugh

Last edited:
Aliens
Blade Runner
Terminator 2
Star Wars...all combined
Planet of the Apes
Matrix...all combined
Space Balls
2001 Space Odyssey
Twelve Monkeys

ALL of the Star Wars films and ALL of the Matrix films?!?

LOL! You sir are high. :lmao:

ALL of the Star Wars films and ALL of the Matrix films?!?

LOL! You sir are high. :lmao:

Ya I am...nice buzz going. Sure...some part 2 and 3's suck ...big deal. Just throwing them all in the same 'pot'

Ya I am...nice buzz going. Sure...some part 2 and 3's suck ...big deal. Just throwing them all in the same 'pot'

I see where you're going.

yeah I definiltey try to forget about the Phantom menance and the 3rd matrix

Matrix being a Dark City ripoff? LOOOOL You sir are on crack. Both movies came out about the same time. Dark City was DECENT but it was NO matrix. Even Equilibrium is better than Dark City.

Also, I recently watched Brazil and thought it was overrated garbage and I normally like weird films. I really like Eternal Sunshine though....even made my GF watch it. Also Donnie Darko and the Canadian film Cube. OH yeah, also The Thing was solid.

Matrix being a Dark City ripoff? LOOOOL You sir are on crack. Both movies came out about the same time. Dark City was DECENT but it was NO matrix. Even Equilibrium is better than Dark City.

Also, I recently watched Brazil and thought it was overrated garbage and I normally like weird films. I really like Eternal Sunshine though....even made my GF watch it. Also Donnie Darko and the Canadian film Cube. OH yeah, also The Thing was solid.

Equilibrium hidden jem...

STarTrek Wraith of KHAN.... KHANNNNN..... KHANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

Fantastic Voyage (rachel walsh!)

Independence DAy

DUNE

FLASHHHHHH GORDON (pure cheese)

Saw Equilibrium the other week......was a cool concept

Then is the Batman and Avengers/Ironman's Sci fi too? I guess
I'd have to throw them in the mix, the Bale Bat is very good. Saw the Avengers...was great.

Saw Equilibrium the other week......was a cool concept

Then is the Batman and Avengers/Ironman's Sci fi too? I guess
I'd have to throw them in the mix, the Bale Bat is very good. Saw the Avengers...was great.

watching this spoiled avengers for me..... because its so true and now I can't get it out of my mind

[video=youtube;QDajL441mZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QDajL441mZc[/video]

Gattaca is my favourite movie, not just in sic-fi but off all movies. Slow moving yes, but a very interesting story, well done in a classic way that will never look that dated save for the computers.

I really enjoyed THX-1138 which in my opinion was George Lucas best film. I used to love Star Wars as a kid, now I just cant watch them, new or old.

Solaris (new one, have not seen the original) is another great sic-fi film, and fits in with the slow moving category.

Lol...very good. But they could do this to just about any movie ever made. Maybe the Avengers wasn't a "great movie" but it was great to watch and I wasn't bored...so killed a couple hours and not regretted it...lol.

Original The Day the Earth Stood Still
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Quiet Earth
THX 1138
Akira

I love sci-fi...hard to choose just ten. There are some great ones already listed.

I'd like to add...

Pandorum
I am Legend
The Fly
2001: A Space Odyssey
Logan's Run
Tron
Never Let Me Go
The Abyss

Not sure if Being John Malkovich counts because if yes, then I'd replace The Matrix with it.

From this list I say STAR WARS because it's the only one I've seen lol....but waiting for Cloud Atlas to come out...seems like it might be a good sci fi movie

Back
Top Bottom