Parking ticket backlog? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parking ticket backlog?

daught

Hows the parking ticket backlog in Toronto these days?
Any one know an obscure language that they wont find an interpreter for :p ?

I don't know but every single one of my tickets make it to court somehow. And I get a lot of parking tickets.

I received a $250 'park in fire route' ticket 18 months ago and my trial was last Friday. Thus I would say it is probably around 18 months which means you should be able to beat it at trial. I requested disclosure 6 weeks, 2 days before trial (had fax proof). I also called in a week before and it wasn't ready. Went in for trial and prosecutor said "option 1 reduce fine by at least 50%, option 2 go to trial. Was your car parked there or not?". I replied with "Do you have my disclosure?" She (nice young prosecutor) asked when I filed for it and I told her when and that I phoned in last week. She told me it takes six to eight weeks to prepare disclosure. I just looked her in the eyes and said nothing. Then she said take a seat and when I was called up my charges were withdrawn.

Most people in the courtroom just decided to have their fine reduced. Everything was fast, fast, fast. Seemed like they were just trying to get as much revenue in with the least amount of resistance. Anyway it was a great experience and was worth missing 3 hours of work to save $250.:)

you should always request disclosure atleast 8 weeks before your trial, if you get your notice of trial within 8 weeks... then request as soon as possible

@BubbaL00, the prosecutor could have argued you did not give them enough time to prepare the disclosure; JP may have asked why you didn't request for disclosure as soon as you received your Notice of Trial

TPS Parking Enforcement rarely write notes, they have very little to say other than what's written on the face of the offense notice; if you got this ticket via private security, they are trained to write a half-page worth of notes and take pictures - BUT they rarely appear at trial

11b Charter arguments w.r.t. Parking Tickets
http://www.ticketcombat.com/parking/R_v_Cassimatis.pdf

Last edited:
I can't believe the courts waste their time with parking tickets. In the UK you could appeal your ticket via email if you had a good reason and 80% of my tickets were dropped that way. The rest were legit tickets I took my lumps for.

Parking ticket court is a farce and a waste of money for everyone involved.

I can't believe the courts waste their time with parking tickets. In the UK you could appeal your ticket via email if you had a good reason and 80% of my tickets were dropped that way. The rest were legit tickets I took my lumps for.

Welcome to canada,my friend! the land where you get ticketed for speeding over 4km/h and insurance companies that have license to rip you off!

If they don't 'waste their time' on parking tickets, then there's no reason to pay them. No reason to pay them means no penalty, which therefore means effectively no enforcement. Why not just save money, then, by not employing parking control officers?

What were you doing parked in a fire route anyway? What would have happened if the EMS vehicle could not make it in time to save someones life just because people are too lazy to park properly. All parked in a fire route or handicapped should be "No Stopping" zones and automatic tag and tow should be in place.

Also, a new system is being developed called "Adminstrative Penalty", Vaughan is starting on this process

http://www.vaughan.ca/vaughan/departments/enforcement/facts_about_administrative_penalties.cfm

it would fall under the all encompassing general by-law for private-property parking, "Parked without owner's permission"; this carries a $30-40 penalty

HOWEVER it allows them to tow/impound the vehicle at the owner's expense (atleast $350 to get out of the impound)

they don't need their own by-law for police/reserved parking on private property

Welcome to canada,my friend! the land where you get ticketed for speeding over 4km/h and insurance companies that have license to rip you off!
My friend got a ticket for 3km/h over last year. I didn't believe him, at the very least I figured the cop reduced it. I saw the ticket myself, no R, he says the cop wrote the ticket for the exact amount he was going over!

Which reminds me, we're still waiting for the court date, getting close to 11b time! Woot.

-Jamie M.

I got 2 parking tickets in september of last year (2011) while parked downtown. I had trial for one of them in September of this year, I still haven't received the notice of trial for the second one. I've heard systemic delay doesn't count towards 11b, so how will I be able to argue it?

I got 2 parking tickets in september of last year (2011) while parked downtown. I had trial for one of them in September of this year, I still haven't received the notice of trial for the second one. I've heard systemic delay doesn't count towards 11b, so how will I be able to argue it?

Systemic delay does, in fact, count toward an 11b finding. If the delay is 'unreasonable', then you can be successful with an 11b filing. What is 'unreasonable' is not a cut and dried number.

What were you doing parked in a fire route anyway? What would have happened if the EMS vehicle could not make it in time to save someones life just because people are too lazy to park properly. All parked in a fire route or handicapped should be "No Stopping" zones and automatic tag and tow should be in place.

LMAO. You have quite an imagination. You should try thinking things through before you type out whatever comes out of your rash thought process.

LMAO. You have quite an imagination. You should try thinking things through before you type out whatever comes out of your rash thought process.
i have to agree with BubbaL00, you have to look at how the City of Toronto defines Parking and the by-law associated with fire routes http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_880.pdf

these two parts below are relevant to the conversation, and i believe the definitions speak for themselves; it allows for regular folks to be parked in a fire route

§ 880-14. Parking prohibition.
A. No person shall park or leave a vehicle in a fire route.
B. Subsection A does not apply to the owner or driver of an ambulance, police, Fire Department, public utility or other emergency, rescue or repair vehicle or other equipment while actually engaged in emergency, rescue or repair activities or operations, as the case may be.

PARK or PARKING — When prohibited, the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except when standing temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or passengers.

What's this like today? Just got a ticket on my own street

Back
Top Bottom