2013 Ninja 650 ABS - Disapointment! | GTAMotorcycle.com

2013 Ninja 650 ABS - Disapointment!

Audio

2013 Ninja 650 ABS - What a Disappointment!

After much research and careful thought, I traded in my 2008 Ninja 500, and pulled the trigger on a brand new 2013 Ninja 650 ABS which I picked up on Saturday. I did approx 200KM's of riding over the weekend, and to my surprise and dismay, the bike has a TERRIBLE, LOUD, buzzing/vibration noise coming from somewhere within the front fairing as soon as you hit the range between 4K -5K on the tachcometer. It's like clockwork. It happens every single time, and the buzzing/vibration sound is so loud and pronounced that it completely drowns out the sound of both the engine and exhaust. Below 4K and above 5K, everything is fine. It's very hard to isolate where the buzz is coming from. With the bike parked in neutral, you cannot re-create the buzz. It only happens when the bike is in gear. And the worst thing is that this buzzing is right in the sweetspot of where I normally upshift (around 4500rpm), so it makes shifting a horrible experience. It was actually embarrasing to ride this weekend, as I was getting looks from random pedestrians, and other riders over this incredibly loud buzzing noise as soon as my bike came into the 4-5K rpm range.

I'm really hoping this is a dealer assembly issue, since the bike came brand new, still in the shipping crate, and that there is a clear cut fix for this problem. I can't believe that Kawasaki would engineer or stand behind any product that exhibits this kind of intense of buzzing noise. Especially on a brand new bike! I'm already missing my 2008 Ninja 500! It never exhibited anything remotely like this. I know that a little bit of fairing buzz vibration is always normal, but on this brand new 2013 650, it is so LOUD and intense that this just can't be right!

I'm wondering if there are other 2012/13 Ninja 650 riders who have experienced or gone through a similar issue with their new bike?

Also, any recomendations on how I should aproach the dealership in getting them to solve this?

Last edited:
Re: 2013 Ninja 650 ABS - What a Disappointment!

Other than that noise, how do you like it?

After much research and careful thought, I traded in my 2008 Ninja 500, and pulled the trigger on a brand new 2013 Ninja 650 ABS which I picked up on Saturday. I did approx 200KM's of riding over the weekend, and to my surprise and dismay, the bike has a TERRIBLE, LOUD, buzzing/vibration noise coming from somewhere within the front fairing as soon as you hit the range between 4K -5K on the tachcometer. It's like clockwork. It happens every single time, and the buzzing/vibration sound is so loud and pronounced that it completely drowns out the sound of both the engine and exhaust. Below 4K and above 5K, everything is fine. It's very hard to isolate where the buzz is coming from. With the bike parked in neutral, you cannot re-create the buzz. It only happens when the bike is in gear. And the worst thing is that this buzzing is right in the sweetspot of where I normally upshift (around 4500rpm), so it makes shifting a horrible experience. It was actually embarrasing to ride this weekend, as I was getting looks from random pedestrians, and other riders over this incredibly loud buzzing noise as soon as my bike came into the 4-5K rpm range.

I'm really hoping this is a dealer assembly issue, since the bike came brand new, still in the shipping crate, and that there is a clear cut fix for this problem. I can't believe that Kawasaki would engineer or stand behind any product that exhibits this kind of intense of buzzing noise. Especially on a brand new bike! I'm already missing my 2008 Ninja 500! It never exhibited anything remotely like this. I know that a little bit of fairing buzz vibration is always normal, but on this brand new 2013 650, it is so LOUD and intense that this just can't be right!

I'm wondering if there are other 2012/13 Ninja 650 riders who have experienced or gone through a similar issue with their new bike?

Also, any recomendations on how I should aproach the dealership in getting them to solve this?

Vibration noise was a known issue with the 650R, in earlier versions. Some people got used to it. Others just went to their local hardware store and bought self adhesive auto weather stripping foam, then put it between the panel points where the vibration was coming from. A couple of enterprising folks even created a kit and sold it. The people who went the second route were much happier.

LePhillou has a legitimate question: Apart from that, how do you like it? If you like the bike, you'd be best off dealing with this minor annoyance.

I've got to say, it's far more than a "minor annoyance" when the buzzing/vibration is so loud that it completely drowns out the sound of both the engine and exhaust notes, and is consistently accross one of the most commonly used areas of the powerband (4K-5K). Somebody please tell me this is not normal for a third generation ninja 650 that is brand new!

My riding impressions so far (putting the buzzing aside) for the first 200KM:

-It's fast! Very torquey from the get go, and the engine pulls very hard and effortlessly, no matter what gear you're in (within reason).
-Braking is very strong, and can decelerate much more quickly than my Ninja 500. However, brake feel in both the lever and pedal seems to be lacking compared to my Ninja 500.
-Oncoming traffic seems to be very aware of this bike. The headlamp is very bright and front styling seems to get the bike noticed by those drivers trying to do left hand turns accross your lane. I also love the LED tailamp.

-The instrument cluster is very clear with a good layout, putting the tach front and center where you need it. The only missing thing is a gear indicator.

-There is night and day difference between the feel of digital fuel injection of the 650 vs. my 500's traditional carbed design. It seems like no matter what gear you're in (within reason), the engine is always in it's sweet spot.

-Engine compression is amazing! When you ease off the throttle, the bike decelerates very efficiently with no braking required at all. I found that you can stop the bike (in non panic situations) very easily by simply downshifting with no brake required at all, except for a quick tap on your rear to alert drivers behind you.

-The exhaust note is very satisfying to hear. Sort of like a deep throb, but not annoyingly loud.
-The clutch play is very light. Significantly lighter than my ninja 500's. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing yet. I think it depends on your personal riding style.

that's it for now.

Hey Audio, I own a 2012 ninja 650. My previous bike was 2010 ninja 250 and the vibration was the first thing I noticed as well. it turns out (at least I think) it has to do with the passger pegs and the plastic piece that they are attached to. It's being held to the frame literally by 2 bolts...so when you hit the 4-5k spot, it'll rattle, including my own foot pegs. It's annoying. I pretty much took it back to the dealership and they knew of the issue and tighted everything. Things will loosen up during the break-in period.

I do have to say the 650 is very durable. recently low-sided at speed of 80 km, and the damage to the bike was fairly minimal (I do not have frame sliders). left fairing rashed up with 1 small crack, left signal did not crack. The tiny piece of front fairing under the left front light had 2 cracks. no damage to the gas tank. clutch lever and handle bar only had a minor scruff mark at the end, no bends. shifter got bent slightly, still worked. kickstand in one piece, except the little knob got bent roughly at a 25degree angle. the only piece I lost was my left mirror, it snapped off at the stem. I picked up the bike, pushed it to the side of the road and it started up right away. I was thinking if it was my 250, the fairing would've been cracked in multiple places, left signal gone, front fairing would've been cracked, mirror snapped, shifter bent, etc.

I'd recommend you contact the dealership and notify them of the vibration you are experiencing and go from there. Other than that, hope you are enjoying the 650 as much as I have been (put on 21,000+ km since April)

-Engine compression is amazing! When you ease off the throttle, the bike decelerates very efficiently with no braking required at all. I found that you can stop the bike (in non panic situations) very easily by simply downshifting with no brake required at all
It's generally refereed to as engine braking, not the act of doing it, but how much there is of it. It's not specifically related to the engine's compression. And funny that you like it, most people ask me to get rid of it :)

-Jamie M.

You indicate that the buzzing/vibration is always there in a certain RPM range. This makes things pretty simple. Just bring it back to the dealer and explain the problem and how to reproduce it. It is then their responsibility to fix it. I would give them a chance to fix things before I tried anything myself.

Also, any recommendations on how I should approach the dealership in getting them to solve this?

Like others said the vibration is a very common problem on all the 650R models and usually can be fixed fairly easily. Although I have heard of some people that just cannot find it no matter how much foam they put on the bike.

You can find more info about the 650R here: http://www.riderforums.com/general-ninja-650r/ or KawiForums.com

Why are you shifting so low? Break-in? Unless something's changed in the mapping (it very well could have) I thought peak torque was around 7k petering out around 9k.

Jamie, why would people want to get rid of engine breaking characteristics? I love it. Although it can make the bike a little jerky at low speed if you're not quite smooth enough on the throttle in first/second.

Last edited:

Not sure what those people are riding, but on the gsxr the engine braking *can* be quite annoying if you're in the wrong spot (rev bouncing). At low speeds in a corner I'm sometimes worried if something comes up and I let off the throttle a bit it'll chop and make me unstable (sometimes even the slightest roll off, i'm talking like 5 degrees, will result in some extreme engine braking). Course this is all at slower speeds so you can just take stuff faster or clutch in a bit if you must.

@OP: What are your impressions of ABS vs non-ABS?

Kawi did a recall on all 2006-2009 650r to fix the fairing buzz.....
My bike was taken back to deal on this recall and pretty much all they do is take the fairings off and stick some padded foam tape "like Rob is talking about" in areas where it is know to buzz.

I would expect they will for the 2010-2013 models.

Vibration noise was a known issue with the 650R, in earlier versions. Some people got used to it. Others just went to their local hardware store and bought self adhesive auto weather stripping foam, then put it between the panel points where the vibration was coming from. A couple of enterprising folks even created a kit and sold it. The people who went the second route were much happier.

LePhillou has a legitimate question: Apart from that, how do you like it? If you like the bike, you'd be best off dealing with this minor annoyance.

Ive never had a bike that doesnt have vibrating noises.... :(

My FZ1 has a really annoying vibration noise caused by the cluster fairing rubbing up againest the front fairing @ 2xxx RPM....

Nothing foam tape cant fix though!

Thats cause you have never owned a Honda......no really all my Suzuki's, Yamaha's and Kawasaki had annoying buzzing. My Honda's zero.

Ive never had a bike that doesnt have vibrating noises.... :(

My FZ1 has a really annoying vibration noise caused by the cluster fairing rubbing up againest the front fairing @ 2xxx RPM....

Nothing foam tape cant fix though!

I feel for the OP. This is upsetting for someone who just shelled out for a brand new bike. And it seems Kawasaki can't build a Ninja without buzzing. That's just rediculous. Even my cruiser has rubber insulators on the cluster, gas tank, etc to stop vibrations. But I guess manufacturers know us old folks won't tolerate excess buzzing.

Take it back and tell them to fix it.
Then send an email to Kawasaki Canada public relations (not customer support) with the details you posted above. Make sure that email is cc'd to several motorcycle publications. Watch how fast they react.

Update to my OP:

So I took the motorcycle back to the dealership yesterday to try to solve the vibration/buzzing in the fairing that happens every time between 4K-5K rpm when the bike is in gear. According to them, this is the first time the dealership has ever seen this problem, and they have sold many of the latest generation 2012/2013 650’s over the past spring and summer. The mechanic made a first attempt by putting insulating foam tape around places inside the fairing he thought the plastic could be rubbing or vibrating. But after a test ride, this did nothing to solve the problem. Next, the mechanic called the Kawasaki Canada Technical Help Line, which is located in Montreal. The mechanic informed me that he could not communicate very well with the Kawasaki Technical Expert, because he only spoke in French and had a very strong accent. However, he did find out from Kawasaki Canada that this is a known issue but a technical bulletin has not been issued yet, and there is no specific fix from Kawasaki to solve the problem for the 2012/13 generation of bike. So…I took matters into my own hands, and told the mechanic about a homemade Youtube video I had found posted online, that was made by an American from KS for his 2013 Pearl White Ninja 650. In the video he located the source of the vibration coming from the bike’s instrument cluster, and it shows him fixing it with insulating foam tape. So the mechanic at my dealership took a cue from this information, and focused his time on the instrument cluster housing, took it apart down to the motherboard, and was able to isolate vibration coming from the unit. The end result is that the vibration/buzzing sound has been reduced by a good margin, but it is still not perfect. But much better than before. And I have to congratulate and commend the excellent work by the mechanic at my dealership to get this done, without any help or support from Kawasaki Canada. Meanwhile, my dealership did the right thing, and have made a committment of staying on top of Kawasaki Canada for an official fix to the problem. I'm really happy with the way my dealership handled this issue, and it is clear they stand by their customers.

Here is the youtube video I mentioned:

http://www.riderforums.com/general-...-2013-instrument-cluster-area-rattle-fix.html

Additonal Riding Impressions:

By the way, the 2013 drives incredibly well on the Highway. I rode it from my home all the way on the QEW (40KM's), and wow – it is so smooth. No wind turbulence at all. And you do not get blown around in the wind vortex when passing by big 18 wheeler trucks. The bike can de-accelerate so quickly through engine compression it is unbelievable! No brakes at all are required. If you do step on the brakes, the bike can just come to a stop so incredibly fast and smoothly it is quite something. Also, a lot more power on tap in the low end range, and throttle is very smooth. No exhaust smell whatsoever. The bike runs clean!

ahaha you wouldve need an interpreter at kawasaki...thats kinda sad

I CAN DO IT! lol

The bike I purchased this summer also had an annoying buzzing/fairing sound. I NEVER ride without my MP3 player shoved down my ears and blasting loud music so my bike can rattle like a farm tractor and I would not hear it anyways.

-Engine compression is amazing! When you ease off the throttle, the bike decelerates very efficiently with no braking required at all. I found that you can stop the bike (in non panic situations) very easily by simply downshifting with no brake required at all, except for a quick tap on your rear to alert drivers behind you.

Just make sure you verify that the quick tap is actually activating your brake light before you get rear ended.

The bike I purchased this summer also had an annoying buzzing/fairing sound. I NEVER ride without my MP3 player shoved down my ears and blasting loud music so my bike can rattle like a farm tractor and I would not hear it anyways.

Dude, seriously, every time you post something makes me laugh harder and harder. So how do you hear stuff around you with all that music 'blasting'?

Back
Top Bottom