How bad are Chinese dirt bikes? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How bad are Chinese dirt bikes?

3k? We're talking 50's still right? Msrp for a NEW pw50 is $1300 and a ttr50 is $1850. Buy one that's 2 years old for a few hundred less and sell it in a couple years for $200 less. Or buy a cheap Chinese one for whatever they cost and throw it in the scrap pile or if you're lucky get $300.
Yeah..buy a used xr50 for $900 and when your kid outgrows it sell it for $850...

And get parts from your local Honda dealer (in the unlikelt event you need anything other than a spark plug) within a few days rather than weeks or possibly never. Oh and there's the fact of mechanics refusing to work on chinese junk so you'll need to know what you're doing (if you can get a part this month )

And I've had chinese pit bikes for riding around at the race track but I bought them used for no more than I happened to have in my wallet at the time haha

My best friend's son asked his mother for a motorcycle for his 11[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday and of course she blames me. So for his birthday I bought him his own helmet and gloves and promised to take him on a friend's crf70 since buying him a motorcycle was not an option. We spent the entire day on two 70s and had a blast. He was surprisingly comfortable on it and was jumping curbs and standing on his pegs in no time (it was actually pretty scary how good he was).

SO now I'm obsessed with getting this kid a bike and have been scouring kijiji and craigslist ads for something cheap or that needs some work so I can spend the next couple months fixing and customizing it for him for Christmas. I've been told to only buy Japanese but 10 year old Honda's are going for $1000 and anything closer to my price range is Chinese.

I'm trying to figure out whether it would be worth waiting for a project-worthy Honda to come up for sale for a few hundred dollars or to buy him a cheap Chinese dirt bike that he can bang around, learn on and outgrow.

My question to you guys is: how bad are Chinese dirt bikes really? Found one on kijiji for a ridiculously low price and very minor issues but I've only heard bad things about Chinese made bikes but he's going to beat it and it'll just be a starter until he shows enough skill and a true commitment to the hobby before his mother and I dish out for a nice Japanese dirt bike.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! And if anyone has an old 70-100cc dirt bike collecting dust somewhere or needs work, there's a future rider who's running around the neighbourhood telling everyone he rode a motorcycle that would love to have one of his own.

View attachment 30381

Like a disposable razor!

I would stay away from the Chinese stuff, friend of mine got pretty messed up on one. Front wheel bearing locked up, the fact that somebody else has mentioned it in this thread already makes me think it must be common

Back
Top Bottom