Race license? SOAR, RACE? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Race license? SOAR, RACE?

Ok trying to find info on this with very little success. Id like to get into racing next year and am after info on getting a race license. From what I understand there are 2 series in Ontario, 1 run by SOAR and 1 by RACE. What is the process of actually obtaining a license and will it be good for both or do you need a license for each organization? Are you allowed to compete in both? Also are there ever times where both are on the same weekend at different tracks making you choose which to go to?

What are peoples experiences with each organization, is there one thats run and organized a little better then the other (no flaming and bagging an organization, just personal experiences please)?

Cheers

You also have the VRRA (Vintage Road Racing) 4 race weekends, 3 different tracks Shannonville (2x), Mosport and St. Eustache, QC. Of course you have to be into cool old bikes none of this modern crap...:p Very active and fun group

I wasn't saying it was better or worse, just throwing the option out there.

"^ either way, it's an added cost and hassle (the transponder needs to be charged and it's another thing to remember to do and to bring to the track - or you can hard-wire it to your bike's electrical system).

The Zoomius system that SOAR has been using, has had its share of software glitches, but as I understand it, SOAR is developing their own software - hopefully still using the same RFID tag, no cost to the racer and no recharging or wiring headaches needed.

I already have two other transponders from previous racing organizations that used other systems which became obsolete and are now expensive paperweights. I'd be quite content if the AMB transponder joined those in the expensive-paperweight box."

Thanks for all the info everyone. So to rehash, fast 2, sign up and get license, choose number, go racing...

Next Q. my track bike is a k6 gsxr1000 set up for superstock. What classes would I be able to enter? Also what classes are usually the most fun?

Thanks for all the info everyone. So to rehash, fast 2, sign up and get license, choose number, go racing...

Next Q. my track bike is a k6 gsxr1000 set up for superstock. What classes would I be able to enter? Also what classes are usually the most fun?

novice superbike, novice open sprint.

That bike limits your options ... and a litre bike is not the greatest for learning how to ride properly. Sell it and buy a 600.

Even in the two classes at SOAR and one class at RACE where a litre bike is allowed, most participants are on 600's anyway. And the "rookie" (SOAR) and "novice" (RACE) classes that are intended for new racers, only allow 600's.

That bike limits your options ... and a litre bike is not the greatest for learning how to ride properly. Sell it and buy a 600.

Even in the two classes at SOAR and one class at RACE where a litre bike is allowed, most participants are on 600's anyway. And the "rookie" (SOAR) and "novice" (RACE) classes that are intended for new racers, only allow 600's.

Im not learning how to ride, sorry if thats how it came across im just trying to figure out how the whole system here works. Being in novice to start with will let me learn the tracks and from there see how I go. Selling the 1000 would not be a wise move for me as thats where id like to end up anyway and the bike I have right now is well sorted and set up for me.

In RACE, there is only Amateur Superbike (no Novice Superbike class), so it looks like SOAR would be your best option with the 1K. I wouldn't suggest dipping a toe into RACE AM Superbike as your first race, even if you are reasonably competent at TDs (read: ride expert at Shannonville), racing is an entirely different animal. Have you tried to contact Chris Chappelle (Race Director) at Shannonville? He was great at answering my questions leading up to my first race.

All great responses. What I would like to know are : how of your time is required and what is the avg cost for the season?

One difference not mentioned so far is that RACE use the AMB transponders for scoring. Figure on spending $400 to purchase your transponder for RACE. SOAR use a different system with 'no cost to the racer' RFID tags. Also your location makes a big difference. If you live west of Toronto the travel to Shannonville for RACE events is just plain ugly. If you are east of the GTA, Shannonville and RACE makes most sense. parillaguy

Forgot to add - you can rent a transponder at a RACE event, so you don't have to drop a lot more on a transponder of your own. Still it's $45 per event. Definitely the RFID option is much more friendly.

All great responses. What I would like to know are : how of your time is required and what is the avg cost for the season?

For 2012:
Friday practice day (optional) - $140
Event Registration for 2 classes - $244.20 (I think 1 class is about $190ish?)
Transponder rental - $45
Gas, tires, food, beverages depend on your consumption :)
UHAUL trailer rental (if applicable) about $20/day (3 days)
There are also hotels offering discounts to RACE participants, but will still run you a couple hundred for the weekend.

That is for each of 6 rounds. May be wrong but as far as I know there is no discount for pre-purchasing all rounds.

Hope this helps.

All great responses. What I would like to know are : how of your time is required

All of it

and what is the avg cost for the season?

How much money do you have?

As far as a superbike is concerned, if you have to ask the cost, you can't afford it. They chew through tires in a mad hurry - a few sets per weekend for a faster rider. Then there's the tire warmers, and the generator, and the trailer, and something to tow it to the track with, and someplace to stay while at the track, and on and on.

Caboose483 is probably the best to answer what it costs to field a litre bike at a regional level and I know it has come up before on these forums. You don't have to spend as much as some people spend. But it's not inexpensive.

I'm quite content at my age to keep on riding my 60 hp vintage bike. But then there's the set of wheels that I'm in the process of getting for that bike, so that I can use modern 17" race rubber front AND rear ...

Here is how it goes (from my experience)

Called ken to give him a heads up that I will be taking the school and racing that weekend and talk about what race number is available (then call track side cuts to make you the numbers, they deliver them to the race weekend)

Faxed the forms
- Race license application (I think around 150)
- Racer 5 Friday school application (can't remember but somewhere between 150 an 200)
- Race entrance fee (Rookie class for me, around 120)

*all prices are subject to my terrible memory

Got all my crap together and made sure to be ready for the weekend - read all the info on the SOAR website about tech inspection etc

Showed up on Friday morning
- setup
-Get your bike certified
-go find the racer 5 trailer and make sure they know you are there to take the class
-Spend the morning with the folks of racer 5
-the class will end around noon
- Racer 5 will pair you up with one of their instructors, you will join the practice session in the afternoon were the following will happen
- the instructor will ride easy with you on the track to show you the lines
- once you learn the lines he will go behind you to observe You in order to see if you have enough skill to be safe to yourself and others during the race
. - once he is satisfied that you can race then he will give the go ahead for you to obtain your license

Make sure you practice as much as you can on that friday

Saturday
- do the practice session in the morning and you will have a 6 lap qualifier in the afternoon to qualify for grid position
- Try and join and endurance team (best thing I ever did)

Sunday
- Do your practice session in the morning and your 12 or 10 lap race in the afternoon.

Have fun, nothing like the first time you experience the feeling of 28 angry bikes all trying to squeeze through a small piece of real state called turn one

Im not learning how to ride, sorry if thats how it came across im just trying to figure out how the whole system here works. Being in novice to start with will let me learn the tracks and from there see how I go. Selling the 1000 would not be a wise move for me as thats where id like to end up anyway and the bike I have right now is well sorted and set up for me.

How much track time do you have? Is your 1000 already a track bike? You can start on a 1000 however there is no novice class for it. I started on a 1000 this year, also got told by everyone to sell it because I won't be able to ride it or afford it, haven't herd much from these people since and I'm doing ok.

Tires aren't cheap but in one weekend including Friday practice I'll use a set of scrubs (new tires from the last race) and do about 20 laps on a new set. Budget around $700-$1000 depending on doing Friday practice, tire consumption, fuel (tow vehicle/bike), and entry fees.

I think I spend a lot less than most people at a regional event.

My tire budget is one new rear per weekend and I run pump fuel. If I'm not being dumb and abusing my rear tire I can get two finals, two qualifiers and 6-8 practice sessions out of it before its done. That's more than most people will get out of a rear, especially on a superbike.

My budget for a race weekend is about $600... but that's a lot less than most ppl spend.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Also, if you get top 3 in your qualifying race you can run the pro race as well so potentially 2 races.

It's not that you can't start out on a 1000, it's just that it limits your options. And they're harder to ride fast on the tracks that are available at a regional level. For most people, a 600 is a better learning tool, and a 125 or 250 is better yet. You can't cover up errors by twisting the throttle on the next straight, you have to learn to not make those errors in the first place. Racing is a different world from track days.

hell for a new racer I would recommend a 12+ year old 600cc bike. cheap to get on one, you could race virtually every class, and lost era is some of the most fun and competitive racing going

It's not that you can't start out on a 1000, it's just that it limits your options. And they're harder to ride fast on the tracks that are available at a regional level. For most people, a 600 is a better learning tool, and a 125 or 250 is better yet. You can't cover up errors by twisting the throttle on the next straight, you have to learn to not make those errors in the first place. Racing is a different world from track days.

I hear ya, it definatly helped that I had a few days under my belt on a 600, however this is the tool he has to use so let's see how well he can use it before telling him it's not the right one for him. I was in the exact same position at the beginning of the year and I got the same answers, to sell my big scary bike because it'll kill me and everyone else for just looking at it and I'll go broke. If he can safely operate it and afford the rubber then who are we to say what he should or shouldn't ride.

Thanks for the responses guys. Is there a mentor program out there that can help a person out...

Thanks for the responses guys. Is there a mentor program out there that can help a person out...

Not officially but if you're not a mega huge douche you won't have a hard time finding help.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom