Race license? SOAR, RACE? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Race license? SOAR, RACE?

$600 to $1000 a weekend... what do you guys do for a living??? I was really hoping to race next year but that is really expensive

Thanks for the responses guys. Is there a mentor program out there that can help a person out...

Once you're there you'll find a few :) The racing community is really friendly and more experienced racers are often very happy to drag you around the track, talk about setup, strategies, etc., as long as you are sincere. And comping a few drinks once the day is done doesn't hurt, either!

$600 to $1000 a weekend... what do you guys do for a living??? I was really hoping to race next year but that is really expensive

My weekend bill is usually half of that.

I Purposely bought a lost era bike for that reason, bike consumes the same gas as the generator and the minivan. It's easy on tires, there are grids large enough to pay out tire contingency money which also helps.

I figure a Sat/Sunday at a race weekend would cost me the same as doing a double weekend track day.

The key difference is going racing make track days feel like riding in the green group all day.

That's why most don't do all weekends in a season. But yeah, new tires, registration, Friday practice and incidentals add up fast.

If you're just starting, you don't have to buy into the whole season. Try a weekend, then see if you want to do another. My guess is you probably will, lol.

If you're just starting out you likely dont need to be buying new tires. One good set of take offs should get you through a weekend. Mount up a fresh set before finals on Sunday then use that set for practice and qualifying the next weekend.

Registration for two classes is $210
Gas to and from the track $150
One set of good take offs $150

So, bare minimum you're looking at $500ish. As you get faster, the cost goes up from there.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

with all the tyres that you work through, how much is a tyre change at the track? Or I should preface is there someone there to change tyres through the weekend? (Soars and race)

Tire changes are very reasonable at the track and there's atleast one vendor to change/buy from. An extra set of rims makes it a lot easier, one rim with your practice tire one with your race tire, some people have even more.

Pick your class carefully like JayV said, and it CAN cost a lot less than that.

I have a FZR400 that I've owned since before it was a vintage bike. Tires last 3 to 4 weekends. Don't have tire warmers therefore don't have a generator, therefore I don't need a fancy big trailer, therefore my tow vehicle is a compact car.

Tire changes are very reasonable at the track and there's atleast one vendor to change/buy from. An extra set of rims makes it a lot easier, one rim with your practice tire one with your race tire, some people have even more.

I have one set with slicks (normally on the bike) and one set with rains. Very common arrangement.

Realistically spending 6000 dollars a year on a motorsport related hobby is probably one of the cheapest forms of motorsports that exists. You should go ask how much the drag car guys spend and come back with whether you think thats still expensive. Tire's are the biggest expense above what a weekends TD would cost you, the faster you go the quicker they wear out, but if you can make it in the top 5 you at least get some contingency money back.

It certainly isn't free though.

Realistically spending 6000 dollars a year on a motorsport related hobby is probably one of the cheapest forms of motorsports that exists. You should go ask how much the drag car guys spend and come back with whether you think thats still expensive. Tire's are the biggest expense above what a weekends TD would cost you, the faster you go the quicker they wear out, but if you can make it in the top 5 you at least get some contingency money back.

It certainly isn't free though.

compare it to what some guys spend on golf in a year. not far off

So, bare minimum you're looking at $500ish. As you get faster, the cost goes up from there.

Not to mention food and other necessities (oil changes, filters, bike maintenance). I lower my cost by buying take-offs from vendors/faster riders. But with my increasing speed, gas gets used up quicker, tires don't last as long, etc..

I always have a $100 emergency fund with me... I needed new tires one round, ran out of gas the one prior, needed a new chain in July, my canopy collapsed in the rain storm and I bought GOOD one that will last a lifetime. My tire warmer crapped out in June and had to get it repaired.

Anything can happen. Now I need to get my forks and shock serviced this winter and repair the bodywork from my latest mishap. Plus I want to paint my gas tank.

So easily $3,000 minimum in a year.... and I only race SOAR. This doesn't include the spare/replacement parts I bought because I'm so goddam crash prone :(

But is it worth it? You're goddam right it is. at least to me.

Last edited:
Not to mention food and other necessities. I lower my cost by buying take-offs from vendors/faster riders. But with my increasing speed, gas gets used up quicker, tires don't last as long, etc..

I always have a $100 emergency fund with me... I needed new tires one round, ran out of gas the one prior, needed a new chain in July, my canopy collapsed in the rain storm and I bought GOOD one that will last a lifetime. My tire warmer crapped out in June and had to get it repaired.

Anything can happen.

So easily $3,000 minimum in a year.... and I only race SOAR. This doesn't include the spare/replacement parts I bought because I'm so goddam crash prone :(

Crashing definitely sucks!

I think I'm at about $7000 this year but i have made back $2000 in tire contingency with a chance for $450 more next weekend.

Crashing definitely sucks!

I think I'm at about $7000 this year but i have made back $2000 in tire contingency with a chance for $450 more next weekend.

Yeah... at least you make podium/contingency lol.

I'm still classified as rider-in-progress. :p I need to replenish my spare parts bin this winter.

Last edited:
I always have a $100 emergency fund with me...

In case you run out of food and need to buy something from the concession? Thats about what 100 bucks would cover lol, i usually bring 300 on top of a full set of spares, rearsets, bars and levers. I go with the philosophy that once i get to the track i will spend whatever i have to, and just not look at my bank account until monday.

I'm lucky enough to have awesome friends and shop rapport to not have to worry about it. Worst case scenario, TD Bank is 5 mns from Grand Bend. But I've never had to run to that yet.

I get more and more impressed by the race/track community each time I go: lending parts, helping repair bikes, power sharing... and I'll do the same and help without hesitation if time/situation permits.

Back
Top Bottom