2009 Zx6R Electric Problem | GTAMotorcycle.com

2009 Zx6R Electric Problem

HunGJaI

I never had a problem with the bike before but after doing the recall problems started up...

I did my voltage regulator recall like 1 month ago...didn't really ride it until now... my lights would start flickering, my dash light will also flicker... but if I kept my RPM above 2,000 my lights will be "brighter"

Mechanic is telling me my Stator might be fked up (tested it)...cuz the volt regulator was not doing it's job properly before hand...

Any other reason?

What output did the stator put out?

Test your stator output at specified RPM in the service manual, if you need a new one I have good spares I can sell you for cheap...

Easy to diag do it and KNOW what the problem is rather than guessing.

Thanks EVERYONE

Big THANK YOU TO JOHNNYP636 for help me change and replace the broken stator...

I really wished kawa would have recalled both the R/R and stator...

No problem, I understand your frustration but just to give you an idea I know a lot of people with 09-2012 ZX6R's and work on a lot of them as well. And yours was the first I have ever seen with a burnt stator coil windings...So I dont think it is a common problem, you just had bad luck with yours...

No problem, I understand your frustration but just to give you an idea I know a lot of people with 09-2012 ZX6R's and work on a lot of them as well. And yours was the first I have ever seen with a burnt stator coil windings...So I dont think it is a common problem, you just had bad luck with yours...

How did you test the stator?

How did you test the stator?

Run the bike and hold the RPM at 4000, the alternator/stator should output 54V or more, and at the battery should read 14.2-15.2V coil resistance should be .11-.17

Then just to visually confirm after his failed the tests, when I removed the stator cover and looked at the stator itself, the windings and the coating on them was all burnt up.......

There is also a chance that the windings are fine but its actually your rotor magnets that have weakened , but that is even more rare on such a newish bike

multimeter

But what setting on the mulimeter? Ohms? Test the stator wires that go to the rectifier? With the bike running? Sorry so many questions, i have tried to test it a few times but i dont know if im doing it right and i get no results. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Run the bike and hold the RPM at 4000, the alternator/stator should output 54V or more, and at the battery should read 14.2-15.2V coil resistance should be .11-.17

Then just to visually confirm after his failed the tests, when I removed the stator cover and looked at the stator itself, the windings and the coating on them was all burnt up.......

There is also a chance that the windings are fine but its actually your rotor magnets that have weakened , but that is even more rare on such a newish bike

What all did you have to remove to get the stator wires out? It seems like i have to take off the radiator to get the wire/plug out from under the gas tank. I got the bike half way taken apart

What all did you have to remove to get the stator wires out? It seems like i have to take off the radiator to get the wire/plug out from under the gas tank. I got the bike half way taken apart

don't have to remove a lot. the plug is usually under the tank / besdies the cover. just gotta be a little clever about it.

don't have to remove a lot. the plug is usually under the tank / besdies the cover. just gotta be a little clever about it.

Thanks for the help. I got the stator changed out.... Still having the same problem:banghead:
Bike will not hold a charge, will only run for a few minutes before the cluster shuts off then seconds later it dies. The voltage regulator was replaced under warranty. It only has 1140 miles on it!!! I cant think of what else it could be.

your rectifier is on the right side of your bike inside the fairings just above the turn signal. Both plugs are there one from the stator to the rectifier and one from the wiring harness to the rectifier...When I remove a stator, I pull the wires out and tie an other piece of scrap wire or string to the end of it before pulling it out. This allows me to use it to pull the new wiring back accross without having to lift the tank and remove the airbox to get the wire routed back accross to the rectifier...

$5 donation accepted for that tip which will save you 30min

This is where Im at right now. Just trying to figure out how the stator wires come out.

Back
Top Bottom