Yamaha wr450f supermoto conversion questions | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha wr450f supermoto conversion questions

You'll have to find an already Blue plated(Road legal) WR450F to start with. You can no longer convert dirt bikes to street. Then be prepared to shell out the cash.

Then you'll need:
Rims (17")
Tires (17")
Rotors (320mm front)
Caliper relocation bracket
Headlight/taillight/signals + associated electronics
Speedo/dash

Be prepared for lots of maintenance. Oil changes ALOT. Valve clearance checks ALOT.

The reason everyone buys DRZs is because they are bulletproof. The service intervals are on par with your average street bike. They last a long time and when you mod the hell out of them they actually go pretty quick.

WR maintenance isn't all that bad. Oil change every 3000 km's, valve clearance and spark plug once a year...

Also you don't have to worry about headlight tail light on newer models.

Get a set of warp 9 wheels (brake setup and rear sprocket included), and a RYCO moto kit off eBay and your good to go.

WR maintenance isn't all that bad. Oil change every 3000 km's, valve clearance and spark plug once a year...

Also you don't have to worry about headlight tail light on newer models.

Get a set of warp 9 wheels (brake setup and rear sprocket included), and a RYCO moto kit off eBay and your good to go.

I agree. I checked my valves again last night, they're still in spec and have never gone out of spec in the few years I've owned it. My SM/dirt WR's too old for you but it will be going up for sale within days, as will my son's XR50R

Yea, as long as you're not on the rev limiter all the time, valve clearances seem to stay pretty close.

You have to remember that the recommended maintenance intervals in the manual are for competition off road racing in harsh environments. Street riding is easier on the machine.

Cant comment on who insures supermotos/cost. You may have more trouble insuring converted bikes but I really dont know.
I recently got a quote for a WR250X on ThePersonal. It was about half what my 650R costs. Not sure about conversions though. Insurance generally doesn't like any mods so they might not be happy with a dirt bike/dual sport converted.

I thought the WR450f had a similar engine to the WR250R/X but larger. From reading the discussions here I was wrong?

I recently got a quote for a WR250X on ThePersonal. It was about half what my 650R costs. Not sure about conversions though. Insurance generally doesn't like any mods so they might not be happy with a dirt bike/dual sport converted.

I thought the WR450f had a similar engine to the WR250R/X but larger. From reading the discussions here I was wrong?
That sounds about right for insurance, but call to confirm as online quotes are generally way off.

WR450F and WR250R are two different animals in the engine department. The 450 is a high performance MX motor whereas the 250R is a detuned dual sport motor. You may have been thinking the 250F as it is more or less a smaller version of the 450F. The 250R/X and 250F are very different bikes.

That sounds about right for insurance, but call to confirm as online quotes are generally way off.

WR450F and WR250R are two different animals in the engine department. The 450 is a high performance MX motor whereas the 250R is a detuned dual sport motor. You may have been thinking the 250F as it is more or less a smaller version of the 450F. The 250R/X and 250F are very different bikes.

Oh I see. I didn't realize the F models were their offroad (not street legal) models. I thought the 450F was a street legal dirt bike.

I'm young with a clean record and the best price I could find on my ninja 250 was $3200/year

Gadzooks! Primmum insured my 06 FZ6 for under 400$ a year. (NOTE I always specify I want the most basic insurance required by law - no theft, fire collision etc - I consider insurance a tax and want to pay as little as possible)

Primmum wanted something like $4500 for liability only for me... Again, clean record, just young.

I seriously don't know where people get these insane insurance rates. I'm 28 now with my full M and am still paying $1200/yr for my 650R.

I'm almost 10 years younger than you and it was my first season, insurance in Ontario is a huge scam.

I'm almost 10 years younger than you and it was my first season, insurance in Ontario is a huge scam.

Oh your rate I understand. It's the $400/yr one I don't get.

Back
Top Bottom