Yamaha wr450f supermoto conversion questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha wr450f supermoto conversion questions

matt220

Hey, I have searched kijiji and there are pretty much no wr450f supermotos for sale. Is there a reason for this? Not reliable enough for the street? Too much work to convert from a dirt bike?
PDo2G.jpg

I really like the bike's looks from 2009+ and would like to get a supermoto'd one (instead of a DRZ400) hopefully for next season if I can afford insurance and the cost to supermoto it. Cash is kinda limited, so what would be the cheapest I could convert a 2009+ model for minus the cost of the bike?

Parts list to supermoto the dirt bike:
-Tires
-speedo
-front and rear light
-license plate holder
-(anything I'm missing?)

Then once it's got all the parts to be street legal, what do I need to do to register it?

Thanks!

edit: If it's too much than I guess the DRZ would be my only option.

You'll have to find an already Blue plated(Road legal) WR450F to start with. You can no longer convert dirt bikes to street. Then be prepared to shell out the cash.

Then you'll need:
Rims (17")
Tires (17")
Rotors (320mm front)
Caliper relocation bracket
Headlight/taillight/signals + associated electronics
Speedo/dash

Be prepared for lots of maintenance. Oil changes ALOT. Valve clearance checks ALOT.

The reason everyone buys DRZs is because they are bulletproof. The service intervals are on par with your average street bike. They last a long time and when you mod the hell out of them they actually go pretty quick.

Welp looks like it's DRZ for me... Dammit Yamaha, make a road legal supermoto bigger than a 250!

I'll watch this thread; I have an 03 WR450F with both dirt and SM trim and it is blue plated (grand-fathered since before the law change). I haven't had the bike on the street in 2 years and barely use it anymore...

I'm basically just sitting on it to see if my son continues with his riding (and if he does, I'll still sell it and get a smaller, dirt only bike).

Last edited:
You cannot convert an MX bike and register it for the street in Ontario.

Get a DRZ if you want low, low maintenance or get a SMR510 if you want performance, 250 km oil changes and 5,000 km valve adjustments.

Insurance on my DRZ is around $800. I dont know your particulars though.

Planning to sell my bike soon, just wanted to clarify of some things.

- Not all companies insure supermotos? I was looking to get quotes, all the bikes were under dirt bike insurance. I believe you can't ride with dirt bike insurance on the street, yes?
- How would you compare supermoto insurance vs standard bikes (my fzr400- 1800/yr). cheaper? same price?
Thanks

- Not all companies insure supermotos? I was looking to get quotes, all the bikes were under dirt bike insurance. I believe you can't ride with dirt bike insurance on the street, yes?
- How would you compare supermoto insurance vs standard bikes (my fzr400- 1800/yr). cheaper? same price?
Thanks
You cannot ride street with offroad insurance. Cant comment on who insures supermotos/cost. You may have more trouble insuring converted bikes but I really dont know.

[h=2]Let me think...hell yes.

It may be incredibly hard to control on the street but would make a beast of a track bike.
[/h]

Thanks

Insured with TD/Primmum, full coverage

Honda RC51 $890.00

Aprilia SXV 5.5 $360.00

Back
Top Bottom