Problems getting ownership for dirtbike in ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

Problems getting ownership for dirtbike in ontario

danielzak1990

Hi im seeking any type of help.
I have bought a 2004 suzuki rm 125
I bought this bike private and without ownership because i was told all i had to get is a BILL OF SALE and AFFIDAVIT .
I got both of those things and when i went to the service ontario office in mississauga they said they couldnt not register the bike. Because they dont have any info about it in their system. They said it wouldnt be an issue if any of the previous owners had it registered. But since the bike had never been registered they said they need a ' NVIS'
When i called the suzuki of canada
They told me that nvis is only issued once to the original owner that bought that bike new. And they couldn't realese that information to me.
I have no idea what to do next..
Did anyone have a problem like that?? Please any help is appriciated

Your cooked dude, unless you can get the papers from the previous owner or he gives you the contact of who had the bike before with actual papers your toast. Most likely stolen IMO. Sorry but if you manage to get some numbers ran and they figure out it's stolen, your not going to go far after that.

Sounds like you've exhausted pretty much every options besides riding it like that.

The bike isnt stolen. Before i bought it i had the vin number checked at the police station and at the service ontario.
Police didnt have it reported stolen and mto didnt have any info on the bike which means its not stolen and theres no leans on the bike.

The original owner thay bought new in 2004 had never registered it And he sold it without ownership. I dont know how many owners this bike had. But the guy i bought for never needed an ownership because he ran on private tracks that dont require you to have one.

I called suZuki of canada and they told me that they have the vin number in their system. And the dealer that originally sold the bike is out of buissnes
and they are not allowed to give me the info of the first owner.

Im really frustrated because its an amazing bike , it runs awsome. I love it.
But the main reason why id like to get it registered is so i can run the government trails like the ganaraska.

Your cooked dude, unless you can get the papers from the previous owner or he gives you the contact of who had the bike before with actual papers your toast. Most likely stolen IMO. Sorry but if you manage to get some numbers ran and they figure out it's stolen, your not going to go far after that.

Sounds like you've exhausted pretty much every options besides riding it like that.

I see what your saying. But from what it looks like, none of the owners of that bike had it registered. It looks like it was a race bike.

The suzuki of canads said that they can write me a letter that this bike exists in their data base and it is a canadian bike and why they cannot issue the nvis
Thats the only option i can think of

Get Suzuki Canada and a Suzuki dealership to write you a letter stating the bike exists. You need to bring the bike to them for this, a photo alone is not enough. Those 2 letters plus the affidavit should get you an ownership. I've done this with a bike with no MTO history and had a brand new ownership issued to me. Most people have no clue how to do this so they always say you're SOL, not true at all.

Thank you for your help.
I spoke to suzuki canada over the phone today thinking they will be able to issue me a new NVIS
After i found out that the nvis is only issued once. I asked to speak to the manager. And he told me that he can write me a letter saying thAt the bike exist and that its a canadian bike and why they cannot issue me a nvis.
He didnt mention me having have to bring the bike in. But if thats the case im willing to do it.
Can it be any suzuki dealer that sells motorcycles??

I jut wrote an email to suzuki canada
I will also call them tmr in the morning.
If anyone else has any information for me. Please anything you can help me.

Try a different MTO office - I've registered at least 3 bikes that were NEVER registered with the MTO.

You didn't buy magic beans when you bought into the statement that all you need is a bill of sale and affidavit (providing the bike is not stolen) - again, that is all I have used in the past with NO PROBLEM.

However, I have indeed ran into problems at certain MTO offices - no matter how politely I explained to them what they should already know, they gave me problems. I simply went to the next closest MTO office and walked out with green plates 10 minutes later.

It really does make a huge difference - if you already have your affidavit and bill of sale, try another office - chances are you'll be fine.

Here are the bill of sale and affidavit templates that worked for me many times in the past:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p6terwnoikxnp96/ZDLVSS8nBW

Last edited:
Usually your ok with bill of sale and affidavid,some MTOs dont know what to do.I had several bikes with just hand written bill of sale and affidavid,only once did I go to a dealer and got a letter that indeed I had the same bike as on the bill of sale.Sometimes you get lucky and they even give you blue plates for a dirt bike lol. If you still have problems go to a different MTO

Usually your ok with bill of sale and affidavid,some MTOs dont know what to do.I had several bikes with just hand written bill of sale and affidavid,only once did I go to a dealer and got a letter that indeed I had the same bike as on the bill of sale.Sometimes you get lucky and they even give you blue plates for a dirt bike lol. If you still have problems go to a different MTO

THis, you just got unlucky at the office, try a different one, or just go in there adn thell them yo call a supervisor.

Get Suzuki Canada and a Suzuki dealership to write you a letter stating the bike exists. You need to bring the bike to them for this, a photo alone is not enough. Those 2 letters plus the affidavit should get you an ownership. I've done this with a bike with no MTO history and had a brand new ownership issued to me. Most people have no clue how to do this so they always say you're SOL, not true at all.

yep, had this done for my KX250. MTO told me they could not issue an ownership or green plate because it's a competition only bike (WTF?) just by **** luck the parts manager of the local Kawi dealership that I know well walked in to do paperwork. She took me back to the dealer, wrote me up a letter stating the bike is legit, etc and with the affidavit and b.o.s. I was good to go

I have already called and emailed suzuki of canada and explained my situation, i asked them for the letter.
Im waiting to hear back from them they said 24hrs i should hear back from
Them.
Its really good to hear that other ppl had the same problem and got it figured out.

The mto people are useless, i went to 3 dofferent offices and at each one they gave me a different answer..
One normal person i spoketo there told me that if that bike had ever been registered by any of the previous owners. I wouldnt have this issue affidavit and bill of sale would be enough. And they would give me a new ownership without a problem.

Anyone else with anymore info . I would appriciate it.
And ill keep people posted on what i hear back from
Suzuki

One normal person i spoketo there told me that if that bike had ever been registered by any of the previous owners. I wouldnt have this issue affidavit and bill of sale would be enough. And they would give me a new ownership without a problem.

you mean the bike has been registered before ? My bike was a us bike the MTO had no record of it, i went with bill of sale, and affidavit, and had no problems.

No the mto in ontario, has no record of this bike what so ever.

I have a bill of sale and affidavit.
But they still gave me problems

No the mto in ontario, has no record of this bike what so ever.

I have a bill of sale and affidavit.
But they still gave me problems

go to a dealership and have them write you a letter on company letterhead stating the bike is not a competition only bike and can be registered. Then, make an effort or claim you made an effort to contact the original owner but you can't find them. That will be enough for an ownership.

I've dealt with this before.

You need to physically show up at a Suzuki dealer with the bike. They will write a letter stating you were in possession of the bike.

Then get your local police station to do a check on the VIN to confirm it's not stolen.

Then go to MTO with all your papers and you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom