More car tire(on a mc) fun | GTAMotorcycle.com

More car tire(on a mc) fun

U should be a mod there, u can ban alot of ppl

Those guys are all stubborn idiots. No point arguing with them. Car tires are not designed for leaning. Shoulder wear would be extreme and the contact patch minimal when applied on the motorcycle. Resulting in super fast wear and very little safety when cornering. The thing is, a lot of those dumbasses corner at 10km/h so they don't lean.

Super fast wear?? Just goes to show how much you know.
My last car tire had 30,000 Kms on it and it turned far better than any motorcycle tire and with far more traction.
It,s always the ******** that have never done it that make stupid know it all comments.

My last car tire had 30,000 Kms on it and it turned far better than any motorcycle tire and with far more traction.
It,s always the ******** that have never done it that make stupid know it all comments.

So there's no downside?

Why do you assume there has to be a downside? Its a goldwing not a zx10r.

People have been running car tires on those things for 1000s of miles without incident, by the sounds of it. Not sure why old rick up there has a pickle in his butt about it.... maybe someone installed a car tire on his GW while he was asleep.

I don't have a problem with it.I just get a laugh out of the darksiders that won't admit that the only reason they do it is to save money.Nobody can convince me that a car tire is safer.
No,i don't have a pickle up there.Lol.

I ran into a group of these guys running car tires down in Florida a few years back, they swear by them.
There idea is that it last much much longer, is cheaper and there roads are flat donors perfect for a car tire.
I agreed with them for the most part on that but when the one guy said he could hang with me around any corner with his car tire is when the discussion turned.
Long story short, I was asked to leave there little get together they wear having lol.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse...ark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles.htm

I ran into a group of these guys running car tires down in Florida a few years back, they swear by them.
There idea is that it last much much longer, is cheaper and there roads are flat donors perfect for a car tire.
I agreed with them for the most part on that but when the one guy said he could hang with me around any corner with his car tire is when the discussion turned.
Long story short, I was asked to leave there little get together they wear having lol.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse...ark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles.htm

Hahaha, maybe he saw u with those saddlebags.
That thing u have there is a deadly sleeper dude

As motorcycle safety expert and AMA hall-of-famer David Hough said during our recent conversation on this topic, “Motorcycle engineers get up awfully early in the morning to calculate what works best for bikes. An owner who disregards the engineers’ advice should think carefully about his or her talents in being more clever than the engineers. The owner who installs tires not designed for the task must take full responsibility for the results.” While the practice of fitting a car tire to a motorcycle may work suitably for some—even over many miles—there is no escaping that the rider must accept full liability for a practice that is not endorsed by the industry. Riders must consider carefully what accountability they may have as they openly encourage other riders to adopt a practice that is ardently discouraged by virtually all experts in the industry, including those who have no financial gains in selling more motorcycle tires.

If there's no downside, then I would assume that bike tires would be engineered like car tires to begin with. Is that an unreasonable assumption?
That, and that we would simply put car tires on motorcycles all day every day.
Its like saying a snow tire, an all season tire, a trail(mud) tire, a summer touring tire and a summer track tire have the same properties. Which is kinda silly. And thats just car tire wise.

Now when you go for a different type of vehicule all in all im thinking the rubber compounds and structure of the tire will differ...

Rear car tires are actually a lot better than motorcycle tires for cruisers, but not sports bikes.
A lot has to do with tire pressure too, it is kept low so that the tire flexes and aligns with the road surface.
The contact patch on a car tire is actually much bigger than it is on a rounded MC tire.

Watch this video and you look how much of the tire is on the road, its a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKhoFbL7Fo

Just because it CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

Are you an Engineer?

Rear car tires are actually a lot better than motorcycle tires for cruisers, but not sports bikes.
A lot has to do with tire pressure too, it is kept low so that the tire flexes and aligns with the road surface.
The contact patch on a car tire is actually much bigger than it is on a rounded MC tire.

Watch this video and you look how much of the tire is on the road, its a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKhoFbL7Fo
Using a car tire is assuming you will never have to swerve at maximum lean angle to avoid hitting the refrigerator that fell off the truck ahead of you.Or never wearing full gear,because you will never crash.Good luck with this thinking!

If the maximum lean angle of your couch doesn't surpass the tire's ability to flex, then there is no problem. In fact, you'll have way more contact patch with the car tire while its flexing.

Considering how many people are doing this every day, safely, for millions of miles, Im gonna have to go ahead and say there's no real factual problem with it.

You can assume whatever you want, and pretend that engineers know best, but at the end of the day its real world results that make or break the idea. It works fine. Deal with it. :lol:

All the bs put aside wether it works or not the fact remains that there is a huge following of riders that use the car tire.
But car tires are not designed to ride on the shoulders like that.
Yellowwolf runs the Dragon in 11 min on motorcycle tires on his goldwing, I would put money down that if he tried that on a car tire things would be much different.
So it's not rite I say that goldwings can run car tires because they don't need to lean like as bikes.
Bottom line is car tires are designed for cars.
In heavy rain the edge of a car tire will not perform the way its designed to sipe water away. There are many variables to consider.
This issue can and has been beat to death.
For some the car tire is the way to go, I wouldn't be caught dead with one on my bike.

Back
Top Bottom