Motorcycle Detailing | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Detailing

Most of the detailing referred to here deals with paint correction/swirl removal, etc. If I was to pay good money for a detail job on an older/neglected bike, I would want a full fairings-off nitty gritty cleaning of all nooks and crannies, making all of the aluminum look new again (in addition to the paint work). I suppose those requirements would narrow the candidate field a bunch, and obviously up the price.

My orange dyed plastic(no paint) panels are faded in some places and they have surface marks from my backpack straps. What would be the best compound to rub that out? Can I get different grade paste, one to remove the scratches and one to polish?

Is a buffer much better than that polishing ball in a drill?

My orange dyed plastic(no paint) panels are faded in some places and they have surface marks from my backpack straps. What would be the best compound to rub that out? Can I get different grade paste, one to remove the scratches and one to polish?

Is a buffer much better than that polishing ball in a drill?

Poorboys has a product like that

http://www.eshine.ca/poorboys_super_swirl_remover_2_16_oz-1829.php?cat=12

That one is a medium abrasive, heard great things about this product
And then you can use a different polishing product. To finish off/seal it.

To apply it
random orbital polisher or by hand... but for swirl removing its really a LOT MORE effective with a polisher.
A regular buffer might damage your paint if you dont know what youre doing (as it might burn through your clearcoat/paint etc)

random orbital polisher = a buffer with a slightly abrasive pad? What compound do you put on the pad?

Can someone recommend a store with KNOWLEDGEABLE people that have the right stuff?

Also looking for something to polish my rims. They used to be shiny silver. What are they? Anodized aluminum? Bare aluminum?
Would this be good?
1422701_gallery_1145445.jpg

Last edited:
random orbital polisher = a buffer with a slightly abrasive pad? What compound do you put on the pad?

Can someone recommend a store with KNOWLEDGEABLE people that have the right stuff?

Also looking for something to polish my rims. They used to be shiny silver. What are they? Anodized aluminum? Bare aluminum?
Would this be good?
1422701_gallery_1145445.jpg

Autosol is good, i personally use blue magic and it works on my chrome lip for my car's wheels. Elbow grease sold separately lol

Random orbital polisher is not like a buffer in its mechanism... imma have to look it up but basically its not an 'even speed' rotation, thats why its called "random orbit". The buffer is most likely a rotary polisher and therefore has an even speed on the same area...
Here's an article that explains it better
EDIT) http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopi...02-orbital-buffer-rotary-polisher-part-i.html

wisdomdetail sells the stuff but i think you gotta know what you're looking for...dont know how much larry will answer questions

Most of the detailing referred to here deals with paint correction/swirl removal, etc. If I was to pay good money for a detail job on an older/neglected bike, I would want a full fairings-off nitty gritty cleaning of all nooks and crannies, making all of the aluminum look new again (in addition to the paint work). I suppose those requirements would narrow the candidate field a bunch, and obviously up the price.

From the description on their website, sounds like Crazy Chrome does that.
http://www.crazychrome.com/detailing.html

Dude told me that would clean it up to showroom condition. That's what I'm hoping for..

I haven't gone yet because I'm still waiting for my bike to have some damage repaired. That's being done on tuesday, so hopefully next weekend I can bring it in to be cleaned. I will be sure to post the results.

Damn I can actually get all my OEM fenders for $150. That's less than a polisher and all the compounds :)

I will be sure to post the results.
Please do. I'm in the same boat & look for someone that will do a FULL job with the fairings off & stuff.

Does anyone know if it's unheard of to ask a detailer to put silicone on the rubber components?

Wow, I found the best stuff to take grime off. Gojo hand wipes. Not only they are amazing at cleaning but they have some stuff in them that leaves plastic shiny. They are also really good gasket remover.

wrong thread!

Last edited:
wrong thread!

Last edited:
Sorry, I can't imagine paying someone to clean my bike, let alone $140.00.
well it depends what you want. A detailing is more than a simple cleaning. You need the tools and knowledge to do a paint correction. Some value that, some don't even notice swirls until pointed out to them because they simply don't really care about that, as long as it's "clean". I'm pretty anal so I have all the tools and compounds at home.

well it depends what you want. A detailing is more than a simple cleaning. You need the tools and knowledge to do a paint correction. Some value that, some don't even notice swirls until pointed out to them because they simply don't really care about that, as long as it's "clean". I'm pretty anal so I have all the tools and compounds at home.
^^What he said

That little detailing done once or twice a year will keep your bike looking brand new EVEN if youre using it as a daily driver. And also will make any other wash easier as with the wax, the paint will be more protected and grime will come off easier. Made a whole lotta difference on the car when i still cared, now i have a huge box with tons of detailing products, some that i use on the bike, a lot that i don't because well...my bike has a matte finish unlike the kind of finish i have on my car.

So adding the polisher + products + proper microfibers, adds up easily to $250 +++ of stuff. And for a car, it can take a good one anything from 4h to 6h depending on the amount of work that has to be done

Water wash with 2 buckets
Hand dry
(de-ironize +) Clay
(compound if necessary + ) Polish
Paint Cleaner
Sealant
Wax

My car went probably from 10 shades of yellow into white again it was actually impressive to see how much **** builds up and gets embedded in the paint

Anyhow im getting carried away, that's why it costs so much to detail.

Back
Top Bottom