Finally happened - car backed into my parked bike and knocked it over.... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Finally happened - car backed into my parked bike and knocked it over....

Dammit. Finally happened to me too. Had a tricolour CBR250 for about a year now. And I'm a Stickler for keeping it pristine.

Parked where I park every day at work, and this time at the end of a row on the street, in hopes this wouldn't be as likely to happen as when I leave it stuck between cars. Car must have reversed into it by accident, as it was down on the left side and they put back up somehow. The bike had moved from its original spot, so I knew instantly that it had been hit.

the frame sliders helped. The fairing came loose, but was more or less undamaged (1 cm hairline fracture, not noticeable). I was able to re-secure the fairing by removing and essentially reconditioning the inside of the fairing. The L-shape connector for the headlight inside the fairing was bent, so I had to bend it back. Headlight has basically no scratches. Pazzo lever has a nick but can be re-painted. No damage to lever, footpeg or gearshifter. The helmet was also on it but only had nicks. It looks like the helmet swang OUT away from the bike and was luckily not crushed by the bike (that would be noticeable).

Took approx 2-3 hours. Glad I didn't have to take it to insurance. Could have been worse if they actually ran it over. There are worse things in life.

I don't think I will park at the end of a row BEHIND cars on the street any more. It's almost safer when you park between cars because they both see you.

This happened to me a few years back. My neighbor, after a yard sale, had some free stuff on the curb. The idiot pulled around my bike to check out the free stuff, and then backed into my bike when she was leaving. Luckily the neighbor saw it happen and got her info. My bike ended up in better shape than before after about $2500 worth of replacement parts, and the garage was nice enough to give me all the damaged stuff back (scratched crash guards, barkbusters, etc.). I was really ****** off when it happened, and I lost a few weeks of riding, but it worked out ok in the end. With TD MM, no penalty to me whatsoever. They just said they would go after the idiot's insurance co.

It's about time for general servicing on my bike I think. I don't want to change the oil myself as I think it was done wrong by the previous owner. I would also like to get my front suspension and handlebars inspected as a result of the tip-over.

I am in downtown Toronto and both cyclewerx and motoretta are quoting me about $160+tax for an oil change and general lookover/maintenance of the bike. This seems like a lot. Am I being overcharged? Any other suggestions of centrally located shops?

I am new to highway driving and want to make sure the tipover didn't ph%#ck anything up. Driving A 250 at highway speeds already feels really unstable to me, I'd like to make sure there's no wobbling or anything further at play here.

if insurance company is going to 'write it off', dont let them.

'buy the bike back' then either sell it yourself on kijiji or fix it yourself.

For example, i'm looking for a 650 for a project ;p

It's about time for general servicing on my bike I think. I don't want to change the oil myself as I think it was done wrong by the previous owner. I would also like to get my front suspension and handlebars inspected as a result of the tip-over.

I am in downtown Toronto and both cyclewerx and motoretta are quoting me about $160+tax for an oil change and general lookover/maintenance of the bike. This seems like a lot. Am I being overcharged? Any other suggestions of centrally located shops?

I am new to highway driving and want to make sure the tipover didn't ph%#ck anything up. Driving A 250 at highway speeds already feels really unstable to me, I'd like to make sure there's no wobbling or anything further at play here.

Expensive..yes, but not outrageous. I paid nearly 300 for a first service on my bike that was essentially an oil change and inspection.

remember most of the cost will be labour at 90 an hour or so.

Considering you are 100% not at fault (parked bike), I'd personally be hoping for a write-off, assuming you could get a replacement without much or any financial loss. Other than that, essentially make sure fix everything good as new, since you aren't paying for it, and deserve to get it back in the same condition it was pre-accident.

Don't take it to honda powersports in Brampton unless you want MORE damage done to your bike.

Why is that? I bought my current bike from them and they at least did the PDI right and didn't manage to strip bolts/scratch the paint like Clarington did on my 250. That said, I've never taken it in to them for service, and will likely go to Markham Outdoor Power whenever I can't tackle something myself.

Expensive..yes, but not outrageous. I paid nearly 300 for a first service on my bike that was essentially an oil change and inspection.

remember most of the cost will be labour at 90 an hour or so.

I was told similar on mine as well (around the $200-300 range for an oil change and look over). For now, I've just been doing the oil and filter myself when needed, and if anything looks/feels off I'll look into it. At least imo bikes are built pretty well these days, and much like a car, nothing major should have to be done/checked for a while. At least on mine, there is a valve check indicated at 24,000km, so when that comes, I'll hand it over for the day and have check the valves and the rest out for me...as with the amount I ride each year, the bike will likely be around 3-4 years old at that time as well.

typically the parts are half the cost of the labor involved to do what needs to be done.

Get 4 liters of good quality oil and a filter and your about half of the total bill

I think it's close to 200 plus for an oil change on my new to me BMW, half of that is for the oil and filter, and the other half for the hour charge for them to change it, considering I would need twice as long, and any special tool, plus the chance of damaging something, I will let them do the oil change for a hundred bucks give or take, and I can walk around and look at the other bikes in the showroom....

now my FZ, I did the oil changes on my own, it was easy, less than an hour of my time, used cheaper oil, 6 bucks a liter X 4, plus filter, all in it was about 35 bucks and my own time...ohhh and the cost of a couple of beer while the old oil was draining....

I did mine because it was the first service on a brand new bike and I wanted the stamp on my file for warranty reasons and also a software update (which I can't do myself).

I was involved in a similar situation a few years back.
I was walking down the street and saw a parked car trying to leave. It knocked over the motorcycle parked behind it.
The driver was female Chinese.
She attempted to depart. I told her she had been involved in a motor vehicle collision and had to wait for the owner of the bike.
She pretended she didn't speak English and left (don't you have to at least read English to take the written test?)
So I waited for the owner. It was only a few minutes.
To say he was mad is an understatement.
I asked him to take some photos of the bike on the ground and take them and my name and phone number to the collision reporting centre.
I got a call a few days later from the cops, but I don't know what the final outcome was.
I hope the woman was charged and got a whopping big fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom