Finally happened - car backed into my parked bike and knocked it over.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Finally happened - car backed into my parked bike and knocked it over....

silvrsurfr

Thank God - my colleague and Manager of the bank caught the lady trying to drive off. They saw the whole thing go down.

The freakin lady, OF COURSE, had her ear piece's in talking on her phone, while she was backing up.

Damge:
-dent into gas tank - left handle bar bent in denting the tank. Whats the cost of this?
-the handle bars are wonky now. Hard to perceive with the eye, unless you know bikes, but when riding on the bike, can definitely tell steering/handle bars are wonky. I had to ride the bike home, luckily i dont live too far from work.
-left mirror busted off.
-seems like the fairing cracked right at where the mirror attaches to bike
-the fairing around the front left light is out of lined now
-fairing on left side is all scratched up.
-rear seat section is all scratched up.

Luckily, the shift lever didn't break off, and outside of the wonky steering, i made the rider back home on it.

Anyways, i took all the ladies info, contacted my insurance company. I have been assured this is not my fault, (obviously) and will not affect my premiums. (hopefully...you never know)

Now i wait for the call from the inspectors or whoever they send over to review the damage.

for those in the know - i have a 2011 650r. Think this will be a fixer upper, or write off? I'm thinking, gas tank needs to be replaced, fairing -if cracked - will need to be replaced, and i have no idea about the wonky steering?? any ideas from those with knowledge?

I'm calming down now - but i am ****** because it will be a couple weeks if not longer before i ride again. Dammit!!

(and there is L&L tonight which i wanted to go to)

It will be in the thousands to repair for sure.
I would definitely take it to your own shop and get a quote (Or at least price it out with OEM parts) to make sure you are both in the same ballpark.
Most of the time there inspectors look at visual damage and not how it drives, If the steering is wonky make sure the forks aren't bent.

also check if your headlight is loose, if they tabs broke its not visible until you start taking plastic off..

Any recommendations for bike shops to bring it too? And yes, definitely, i want my bike fixed strictly with OEM parts or nothing!

I feel for ya. same thing happened to me last week. My tank wasn't dented though. Mostly damage to the fairings and crankcase cover. I was qouted about $3000 to repair by a honda dealer.

Just an fyi: L&L is thursday nights, today is wednesday.

Terrible... sorry to hear it man. Keep me posted on how it goes...

BTW.. L&L tonight? It's a Wednesday :confused:

Don't know what area of the city you're in, but Snow City Cycle could do a once over on your Kawi.

the damage to my busa in a similar incident came out to $6500. Insurance may try to write the bike off as it saves them money (they recoup some of the payout with sale of the bike for salvage).

it's up to you whether you go this route.

Daniel at Heritage is also good for an assessment.

And yeah, check the alignment of the forks, etc.

I'm not too familiar with your bike, if any of the fairing brackets are bent (which they may be if your headlight is out of alignment with the front fairing), they'll need replacing as well (it's impossible to bend them back perfectly straight).

Also, expect the bike to be out of commission once you drop it off at the mechanics. Insurance won't let you ride it until it is fully repaired/safetied.

Did you say the woman tried to drive off? This is my biggest fear for my bike..if there are witnesses to her attempting to flee an accident is there anything else the cops can charge her with? I'd want the library..nevermind the book...thrown at the cacky fingered witch.

I can't stand stupid ****ing bimbos that can't drive correctly!!
They are always the "miss know it all" type too !!!

I'll be DRIVING :D from downtown to L&L if you need a lift.
You can wear your gear and sit in the back seat if it makes you more comfortable.

That sucks!
Being downtown, and with parking so tight, I often fear some moron hitting the bike.
Hope the repairs are done quickly.

Sux dude. Life imitates art or vice versa: reminds me of that seen in the movie "One Week"

sucks that it happened. This can go either way as fix it or right off. . .

Shouldn't be a write off. Similar thing Happened to my cbr. $2800 in damages. Carlo at Corsa Mechanica is a great guy to deal with! Good luck, and don't stress.

Back
Top Bottom