Thinking of adding lighting? Read this first. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of adding lighting? Read this first.

Clearwater Lights manufacture high-quality visibility lights that can be dimmed with a rheostat. They are white LEDs capable of producing a lot of light without drawing a lot of power and they can be switched off easily.

You've got me there but as the hazard lights are actually the turn signals, on the vast majority of vehicles, it would seem rather stupid for a cop to charge you for it.

It's strange that the exclusion isn't there, but maybe it's because the requirements for signals are under Rules of the Road and aren't referred to as "lamps":

Requirements for signalling device
142(6) A mechanical or electrical signal device shall clearly indicate the intention to turn, shall be visible and understandable during day-time and night-time from the front and from the rear of the vehicle for a distance of 30 metres, and shall be self-illuminated when used at any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (6).

It's strange that the exclusion isn't there, but maybe it's because the requirements for signals are under Rules of the Road and aren't referred to as "lamps":

Requirements for signalling device
142(6) A mechanical or electrical signal device shall clearly indicate the intention to turn, shall be visible and understandable during day-time and night-time from the front and from the rear of the vehicle for a distance of 30 metres, and shall be self-illuminated when used at any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (6).

The issue Brian P was referring to was colour, not presence or absence of them. The section that you quoted states nothing about colour.

The issue Brian P was referring to was colour, not presence or absence of them. The section that you quoted states nothing about colour.
My point was that the restriction was on lamps flashing intermittent red light, and a signalling device is not referred to as a lamp. Therefore, a mechanical signalling device that meets the requirements of section 142 would not conflict with the lamp requirements/restrictions. I agree that it's odd there is no exception, I'm merely suggesting that may be why it's not in the section about lamps. That section does not include the use of lamps for signalling, just as section 142 does not address the use of hazard lamps for signalling.

I've got two Green GloRyders running at night. I've passed and rode along side countless Cops from Durham region to Toronto.

They will "Flash" depending on road conditions.

Never been stopped and I've ridden with them on all winter through to today.

View attachment 31655

Recently I was impresses with how visible a bicyclist was during the day with his flashing white light operating. He was coming towards me from at least 200 yards and really stood out.
So I thought, why not add this to my motorcycle. It would really help when approaching intersections these days.

My question has nothing to do with headlight modulators.

To be clear, I propose leaving all stock lighting as is, and just adding the white flashing bicycle light facing forward for daylight or maybe night riding.
Anyone have experience or opinion on the legality of this in Ontario?

Recently I was impresses with how visible a bicyclist was during the day with his flashing white light operating. He was coming towards me from at least 200 yards and really stood out.
So I thought, why not add this to my motorcycle. It would really help when approaching intersections these days.

My question has nothing to do with headlight modulators.

To be clear, I propose leaving all stock lighting as is, and just adding the white flashing bicycle light facing forward for daylight or maybe night riding.
Anyone have experience or opinion on the legality of this in Ontario?

I think that you'd end up running afoul of HTA 169 (2):

Alternating highbeams on other vehicles prohibited

(2) No person shall use highbeam headlamps that produce alternating flashes of white light on any vehicle other than a vehicle referred to in subsection (1). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 169 (2).

I think that you'd end up running afoul of HTA 169 (2):

Alternating highbeams on other vehicles prohibited

(2) No person shall use highbeam headlamps that produce alternating flashes of white light on any vehicle other than a vehicle referred to in subsection (1). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 169 (2).

He might be ok. They use the white strobe on school busses. If he only uses a single light, I would argue it's not alternating, it's flashing. I would argue that alternating was intended to account for left/right alternating (like on emergency vehicles). If he uses one of the good bike lights with multiple led's or multiple bike lights he could easily run afoul of the alternating rule. I would not run it at night or they could get you with 168.

They police could try using HTA 168 on him (this is the one they used to use to charge people who warned of speed traps by flashing their headlights). Kenzie put some light on this one in the past and got his charges tossed.

I have been running a headlight modulator for years in the dangerous-commute Brampton-Mississauga corridor and not once has a Policeman reacted to it. The same with my Brake Light flasher.

I can tell you that the Modulator is highly effective at preventing lane intrusions.

I may have accidentally wired my headlight directly through a relay to the battery and absent mindedly installed a 100 Watt Snowmobile bulb that I run on high beam all the time in order to be seen. Add a lightbar with two 55W bulbs and I am throwing a lot of light down the road.

I don't ride at night so my bike is configured to be seen during the day.

Back
Top Bottom