Hybrid License Class G/M2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hybrid License Class G/M2

El Cockblock

Hello riders and riderettes,

How many of you know about of the restrictions in this class of license? A lot of riders have it and could get in trouble.

After calling MTO and chatting with a police officer, could it be true that if you hold a hybrid license G/M2 you cannot have alcohol at all until you get your full G/M class?

Please read this:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/index.shtml#BAC

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/index.shtml#escalating

I searched for any info about this on GTAM and couldn't find anything, I thought it would be helpful if more riders share what they know/experienced about this.

My $0.02

ADMINS: is this something worth of stickies?

Last edited:
Those links are the escalation scales based on offences - not the actual restrictions. When you're driving your car (above the age of 21), you're still subject to the G restrictions - you're not bumped back down to a G1 or G2 restriction-wise just because you have an M2. If you're 21 or under, then yes, you're not allowed any BAC, even if you have a G.

Those links are the escalation scales based on offences - not the actual restrictions. When you're driving your car (above the age of 21), you're still subject to the G restrictions - you're not bumped back down to a G1 or G2 restriction-wise just because you have an M2. If you're 21 or under, then yes, you're not allowed any BAC, even if you have a G.

I was (vehemently) told that you'd be bumped back to G2 restrictions. Police officer and MTO said the same thing.

1-800-387-3445 / 416-235-4686
MTO

Last edited:
Really?
I had my "G" for a couple of decades before I got my wrote the test to get my "G/M1" Feb. in advance of my April RTI Learn-To-Ride course.
Whilst I had my "G/M1", are you saying I couldn't legally drive my car at night, or on the 400-series highways, or with any passengers? (i.e. "M1" restrictions)
Wow! I'm not saying I did that, but if I did, I'm glad I didn't get caught! :rolleyes:

Really?
I had my "G" for a couple of decades before I got my wrote the test to get my "G/M1" Feb. in advance of my April RTI Learn-To-Ride course.
Whilst I had my "G/M1", are you saying I couldn't legally drive my car at night, or on the 400-series highways, or with any passengers? (i.e. "M1" restrictions)
Wow! I'm not saying I did that, but if I did, I'm glad I didn't get caught! :rolleyes:

G/M2 class, pertaining to BAC only.

Last edited:
Wrong, if you blow up to .05 while in a car with a full G it does not matter if you hold an M1/M2. I've run into this situation twice and both times the officer has indicated to me that restriction for blood alcohol only apply to the operating class.

However if you do get nailed on your novice class (Or 21 and younger) you lose the ability to operate on any class until reinstated.

Wrong, if you blow up to .05 while in a car with a full G it does not matter if you hold an M1/M2. I've run into this situation twice and both times the officer has indicated to me that restriction for blood alcohol only apply to the operating class.

However if you do get nailed on your novice class (Or 21 and younger) you lose the ability to operate on any class until reinstated.

Then I guess MTO and the PO I spoke with gave me the wrong information.

We both have two different answers from the same source, doesn't help that they can't give a straight answer.

We both have two different answers from the same source, doesn't help that they can't give a straight answer.

Those ****ers... : putting fist in the air :

Last edited by a moderator:
Happens a lot with big institutions.

People will have different interpretations of what is to be done with said rule.

Words still leave place for misinterpretation unfortunately

Never believe the police about insurance matters if you get in an accident, as well. They have no idea what they're talking about and have given me incorrect information multiple times. Look up the fault determination rules instead.

Police will say anything to scare you out of drinking and driving.

I called the MTO to inquire and some reason got a different answer than both of you. The zero BAC is only in effect for novice and young drivers. The Hybrid is only in effect for the Novice Driver Escalating Sanctions, meaning that if you do any of the following:

• are convicted of violating any of the graduated licensing conditions;
  • are convicted of HTA offences that result in 4 or more demerit points; or,
  • receive a court-ordered suspension for an HTA offence that would have resulted in 4 or more demerit points
you get punished with the escalating sanctions. Under bullet one, the Zero BAC would comply.
However, as the girl from the MTO explained, who I made a point to make sure she confirmed it with her manager, that are only applicatable to the vehicle that coincides with the novice licence. I.E have a beer and drive with a full G/M2 license in a car, your good.

I am going to write a letter to their head office and see if I can get the answers in writing.

Hello riders and riderettes,

How many of you know about of the restrictions in this class of license? A lot of riders have it and could get in trouble.

After calling MTO and chatting with a police officer, could it be true that if you hold a hybrid license G/M2 you cannot have alcohol at all until you get your full G/M class?

Please read this:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/index.shtml#BAC

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/index.shtml#escalating

I searched for any info about this on GTAM and couldn't find anything, I thought it would be helpful if more riders share what they know/experienced about this.

My $0.02

ADMINS: is this something worth of stickies?

The restrictions apply to the license in question but keep in mind that you don't have a motorcycle license and a passenger vehicle license, but rather only have one license. Sanctions against your M effect your G.

I was (vehemently) told that you'd be bumped back to G2 restrictions. Police officer and MTO said the same thing.

1-800-387-3445 / 416-235-4686
MTO
You were (vehemently) told incorrectly. When you're in a passenger vehicle, your G-class restrictions apply. When you're on a motorcycle, your M-class restrictions apply. This has been discussed to death on this forum.

Edit: Rob makes an excellent point. The restrictions apply to your specific class, but the punishment (suspension, fines, points, etc) apply to your entire license (as he points out, you have only one license).

Back
Top Bottom