Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding... | Page 54 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding...

DSC_8066-L.jpg

Montserrat means "Saw (serrated) mountain" in Spanish

On our hike at the summit, we were surrounded by these jagged fingers of rock that reached up from the valley due to the differences in erosion and weathering of the limestone rock throughout the ages.

DSC_8074-L.jpg

You know how you can walk around with a pained expression most of the time and when someone points a camera at you and tells you to smile, you can turn on a happy face for an instant? Well, this is what that looks like...

It wasn't that bad, the weather turned out to be sunny, although it was sooooo cold up there!

DSC_8078-L.jpg

More saw-tipped peaks

DSC_8101-L.jpg

Tall fingers of rock overlooking the valley, must be popular with rock climbers

DSCN2808-L.jpg

Going back home, the weather turns nice again!

Last edited:
Good lord. I just had the most unproductive day at work, rapt by this odyssey. I'm speechless. Its breadth, the distance covered, the people seen, the places been... I'm overwhelmed and exhausted just reading this. Simply amazing.

Three words: Coffee table book.

Just got caught up with your thread, and it brought back so many memories. We were riding from Barcelona to Vitoria and back in 2012 and just had a fabulous time. Unfortunately we only had 2 weeks (8 days with the bike) so you guys will have time to explore the stuff we were just able to see briefly.

Are you still in Calella? If you haven't found it yet, check out GI-682 (Ctra. Blanes a Sant Feliu). Its a most amazing riding road that runs up the coast, and it's just to the north of you. Take all the luggage off and go nuts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ozl7dr7yi4

Here's a link to our (Karin's really) Blog for that trip. Feel free to pillage ideas. We did a lot of research before the trip and found lots of great roads, so PM me and I can send you my gpx files.

http://excellentadventures-karin.blogspot.ca/search/label/Spain

Sorry we weren't able to meet up in Croatia. Maybe next time. Till then, I'll just have to keep traveling vicariously through you guys. Thanks, Awesome trip!

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/195.html

map195-L.jpg

This is our third Christmas on the road. It's another low-key event for us, but that's all about to change. After three restful weeks in Calella, we're packing up the bikes again! But this time we've got company!

DSC_8287-L.jpg

Tajana and Iva have joined us on our trip!

Neda's high school friends have driven all the way from Croatia and they are spending a couple of weeks of their vacation with us. The reason we took an extended break in Calella was to prepare for the arrival of The Pula Girls. I remember how we used to travel when we were on vacation - wanting to see and do everything in what limited span of time we had. So I convinced Neda to take some time off beforehand in preparation for a whirlwind tour with her friends.

The girls descended onto our apartment bearing Christmas gifts - namely lots of food! All the Croatian favourites that put a smile on Neda's face and made me have to loosen the belt on my riding pants. They were very excited about traveling with us and were very curious to discover how we travel: how we packed all our belongings on the bikes everyday, what our pace felt like, how we lived on the road.

DSC_8113-XL.jpg

Looking down onto our Barcelona neighbourhood

Barcelona is only half an hour away from Calella, so the next day, we gathered all the belongings that we had strewn all over in our settled-in apartment and got ready to leave. The Pula Girls got the answer as to how we pack our bikes: Very slowly. I anticipated this and Neda and I started an hour earlier to stuff all our belongings into various dry bags, liners and jacket pockets. Everything had a place and it was rare to leave something behind because of the Tetris-like hole it would leave in our crammed luggage.

All the girls did was throw a suitcase into the trunk of their car. And despite the hour head-start we had on them, they were still waiting for us.

DSC_8107-L.jpg

More free parking in downtown Barcelona

Through AirBnB, we found a rustic apartment right in the downtown area, which turned out to be not so expensive since we were sharing the costs four ways. Unfortunately for the girls, parking in downton Barcelona is super-expensive. Some places nearby were asking €40 a day! That was more than what their share of the apartment was! They found parking quite a ways away, but it still cost them €24 per day.

In contrast, we rode up onto the sidewalk outside our apartment and left the bikes parked there. Free. The girls may be discovering how we travel, but we are also learning how expensive our trip could be if we were doing it by car. I estimate our costs would have easily doubled in some of the larger cities we were visiting just because of the parking alone!

DSC_8300-L.jpg

La Boqueria

We are leaving all the planning of the trip to The Pula Girls. This is their vacation so we are merely tagging along and following them to all the places they want to visit in Spain. It feels good not to have to plan at all.

One of the places we visited was La Boqueria, one of the largest markets in Barcelona where you can pick up all sorts of fresh vegetables, meats, pastries, sweets, etc. I loosened the belt on my pants a little bit more in anticipation...

DSC_8347-L.jpg

The minute I saw this octopus on the counter, I knew it was not going to last very long

DSC_8356-M.jpg

As predicted,The Pula Girls all ordered octopus salad

DSC_8352-L.jpg

Iva is toasting to the start of a great Spanish vacation

DSC_8126-L.jpg

Barcelona is cold this time of year. Iva moves faster than we do, even off the bike...

We got a good idea as to how our trip was going to go. Iva and Tajana spent every waking minute exploring Barcelona. Neda joined them for most of it, opting out of the night-time events since she falls sleep early. And I let all the girls hang out by themselves while I relaxed in the apartment, venturing out for sporadic walks and meal-times. When they would come back, they'd regale me with all the things they saw and did in the city.

I felt tired just listening to them! There's no way I could travel like that! Not full-time, at least.

DSC_8220-XL.jpg

Barcelona Cathedral

DSC_8156-L.jpg

My favourite part of churches are the votive candles

DSC_8259-XL.jpg

Casa Batlló

One of the most distinctive features of Barcelona is the architecture of one of its residents, Antoni Gaudi. His modernist buildings are found all over the city. The Casa Batlló above is made to look like it was constructed out of skulls and bones - the skulls are the balconies and the bones are the pillars of the building. Gaudi decorated the exterior as if it was coral, you can see the marine relief and colours in the higher floors.

DSC_8255-L.jpg

Barcelona's longest pedestrian street, La Rambla, all decked out for the holidays

Like the rest of Spain, Barcelona comes alive at night. This was one of the busiest cities I've been to. It ranks right up there with New York City and Rome, and I can imagine it's what Tokyo also feels like. Although only having a population of 1.6 million, most of the people that we were swimming with and against on the crowded streets are definitely tourists. The cold night air was thick with the din of many different languages.

DSC_8269-XL.jpg

"Who knows where the road may lead us, only a fool would say"

Is it embarrassing that for the longest time, I thought La Sagrada Familia (The Sacred Family) was just the title of a cool song? It was only very recently that I found out the song (by Alan Parsons Project) is about a church designed by Gaudi and is one of the most famous buildings in the entire world because of its unique interpretation of gothic architecture.

I think it looks amazing, but like most of his buildings, it resembles something out of a twisted dream. Construction started in 1882, and it is still unfinished today. There is transparent protective wrapping around the bottom of the church that from afar looks like a spider web, lending to its nightmarish quality. The cranes towering above the church are a constant fixture and they say it will finally be complete in 2026, 100 years after the death of it's architect.

When construction is finished, it will be the tallest church in the world.

Gaudi himself is buried in a crypt at the basement of La Sagrada Familia. He died after being hit by a streetcar less than a mile away from the church he was building.

DSC_8191-L.jpg

"First we'll have some of these, then we'll have a bit of those, then..."

*sigh* While the girls stock up on supplies, I go shopping, looking for a bigger pair of pants...

DSC_8338-L.jpg

The bone-building, Casa Batlló, during the day

DSC_8342-L.jpg

Close-up of the top of the building

DSC_8365-L.jpg

I'm not lion when I tell you I'm having a great time!

DSC_8368-L.jpg

Watching the boats come in for the start of the Barcelona World Race

In a few days time, a fleet of two-man yachts will leave from here and race around the globe to arrive back in Barcelona in three months time. The ships are only 18m long and they will have to survive three oceans, 12 climate zones and 23,000 nautical miles. Very extreme!

It's a bit funny contrasting those race statistics to our own trip. Based on how slow we go, we're never going to be able to boast: "xx kms! xx countries! in less than xx days!!!"

DSC_8403-XL.jpg

A bit of modern architecture amongst the old

DSC_8404-L.jpg

Some girl-stuff happening in our apartment. I walked in, took a picture and left.

Neda is having such a great time hanging out with her old friends! Iva and Tajana are the first friends that have visited us while on this trip! We have been traveling with only ourselves for so long and although we are good company together, Neda does miss being all girly and doing girly-things.

The dynamics are working out very well, because the girls' pace allows Neda to do all the things she wants to do without feeling like she has to drag me out when I'm feeling lazy (which is most of the time). For me, I've never lived with a bunch of women before and it was eye-opening how much talking, giggling, talking, finger-nail painting and talking goes on...

Last edited:
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/196.html

map196-L.jpg

We are on the move again!

Lugging all of our soft bags on and off the bike is a bit of a pain, but at least in Barcelona, Iva and Tajana didn't have to wait for us since they parked so far away. We ended up leaving at the same time, and headed south on the coastal road. It was a very scenic ride, here's a short video:

[video=youtube;VlcPDkacJ1E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlcPDkacJ1E[/video]
Barcelona to Valencia

Although the sun is shining bright, it's still a little chilly. Neda and I are bundled up in all of our layers, meanwhile the Pula Girls are sweltering because of the greenhouse effect inside their car tailing behind us. They tell us that we look very synchronized in front of them, with our staggered positioning. Cool!

DSC_8464-L.jpg

Enjoying the twists and turns along the coast

The girls wanted to stop in Tarragona, which is about an hour south of Barcelona. When we arrived, I realized why: there's a Roman amphitheatre right in town! Tajana paid the admission price to go inside, since she is a historian by profession. Neda and I looked over the railing because we were too cheap to pay. Iva said she'd keep us company.

DSC_8413-L.jpg

The Tarragona Amphitheatre could house 15,000 people!

DSC_8422-L.jpg

After walking around for a while, Tajana yells up to us: "Neda! Iva! Ours is better!"
I'm starting to sense a pattern...

Because we left a bit later, we arrived in Valencia after dark. This is going to be a problem for us because while the girls like to pack in as much sightseeing as they can during the day and arrive at night, Neda and I prefer to ride while the sun is still shining. It's a bit safer for us, and at this time of year, it's also a lot warmer. We were freezing when we arrived!

DSC_8656-XL.jpg

Valencia oranges outside our apartment

Valencia is known for its sweet oranges, but the orange trees that the city planted as decorations must have been genetically engineered to taste bad. There were a few half-eaten oranges lying on the ground under the trees - a warning to other tourists not to pick them. Neda seems to think there aren't enough nutrients in the soil for them to grow properly on the streets.

They did look juicy enough though...

DSC_8478-L.jpg

Iva brought decorations from home so every apartment we're staying at can feel Christmas-y!

Neda found us a great apartment in Valencia, it was even cheaper than Barcelona and it was way nicer. We're discovering that Barcelona is a bit of an expensive outlier - that the rest of Spain is actually priced quite fairly. Also this was the off-season, so I think we were getting very good deals.

DSC_8474-L.jpg

New Years Eve Dinner in our very swanky apartment

It is soooo nice to be celebrating the holidays with friends! The meals are more elaborate and we help lighten the girls' stash of Croatian alcohol. I tell Iva that we're actually helping because now she will have to carry less on the way back to Pula. She replies no, she is slowly replacing the Croatian booze with Spanish ones to bring back home! :)

The green "flowers" above are made from artichokes, compliments of Tajana. Delicious!

DSC_8483-L.jpg

So you wonder why I am not in a lot of these pictures...

We thought we'd go into town for the New Years Eve countdown, so being responsible adults, we planned to catch a streetcar. In our drunken haze, we didn't notice that we were waiting at the wrong side of the bus stop and that these streetcars were going *away* from the city.

DSC_8486-L.jpg

Nice face, Neda. And yes, we brought glasses with us to the bus stop, because we're classy that way...

So by the time we realized we were on the wrong side of the bus stop, we were too late to make it to the city, but at that point we didn't care too much. We took our bottle(s) of wine and champagne and merrily made our way to the beach (did I mention our apartment was right on the beach?). This was a waaaay better idea.

DSC_8505-L.jpg

As midnight approached, there was much drunken Croatian singing and dancing on the beach! :)

With the clocks on our iPhones counting down the last seconds of the year, we popped the cork on the champagne and made a toast to 2015! Wow, 2015. I know people normally say that time speeds up as you grow older, but so much has happened in the last two and half years that it actually seems a lot longer than that!

Time seemed to have rushed by faster when we were back in Toronto. As each carbon-copy-day stacked up on the tray of the Xerox machine, I found that I ended up skimming through every sheet because they were filled with the same details of the same commute, the same job, the same routine, and before I knew it, pages of half-read years piled up behind me.

Time moves normally now. Every day is different for us now and we're eager to greet each new day, devour its pages like a good book.

I may not know how many years I have left in my life, but I'm going to try to put as much life as I can in those years.

DSC_8538-L.jpg

In the distance, fireworks were going off in different parts of the city. Happy New Year, Valencia!!!

We are going to kick off the first day of 2015 with a ride! I really thought Neda would be hung over, but she pulled it together and managed to get onto the bike okay. We figured with January 1st being a holiday, it would be a great day to cruise around the city with no traffic. The girls went off by themselves to do their own sightseeing and we made plans to rendezvous later on in the day.

DSCN2845-L.jpg

There's a familiar sight! I had to get Neda to stop at this roundabout for a quick picture.

We've actually been to Valencia before by motorcycle. On our European tour seven years ago, we passed through the city like a hurricane but one of the few pictures I took was of this statue, because the hotel we stayed at before was right here!

I'm so glad we're keeping a record of all our travels because there's absolutely no way I would remember all these details.

DSC_8548-L.jpg

Valencia train station

DSCN2847-L.jpg

And guess what? Neda found another Arena in Valencia...
She said we had to ride around it to get a better look

Later that day, we met up with Iva and Tajana and I told them we saw another arena in downtown Valencia. Iva replied, "Yes, we saw it too. Ours is better."

Haha! Right. Of course.

DSCN2860-L.jpg

Our rendezvous point with the girls was the City of Arts and Sciences. This is what it looks like as we rode towards it

The City of Arts and Sciences is a huge, sprawling tourist attraction composed of a bunch of buildings that look like they were purpose-built for a Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica movie. When the girls suggested we meet there, I had no idea this even existed. How the heck did we miss this the first time around?

Oh yeah, because we were riding to a different country almost every other day...

DSC_8604-L.jpg

Unfortunately the buildings were closed for New Years Day, but that didn't stop us from frolicking around

These buildings house different exhibits, loosely related to science. Most of them remind me of a giant Darth Vader and his Samurai friends buried up to their eyeballs, with only the tops of their helmets poking above the ground.

DSC_8621-L.jpg

L'Àgora, pictured behind the bridge, is a covered entertainment and sports complex

DSC_8623-L.jpg

Tajana takes a breather from her hectic sight-seeing schedule to check up on e-mails

DSC_8653-L.jpg

More sci-fi statues. This one reminds me of the aliens in A.I.

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/197.html

map197-L.jpg

The girls are waiting for us again. It was a tedious process walking to the parking lot, riding our bikes to the front of our apartment then taking a couple of trips in and out of the building to load up all our bags again. Meanwhile, the girls were sitting in their car, watching us with bemusement as we fussed around with all manner of straps, tie-downs, dry bags and tank bags, etc.

It reminded me of when we used to snowboard and we had a few skiers in our group. When we reached the top of the lift, the skiers would stand around impatiently and watch us as we sat down on the snow to fuss around with our bindings before heading down. Invariably, the skiers would tell us that they would just meet us at the bottom or meet us at the chalet for lunch.

So I think that's what's going to happen. We left Valencia together, but because of the different pace and scheduling, we might just meet up at the next apartment and compare stories at the end of the day.

Motorcycles and cars just travel differently.

DSCN2896-L.jpg

Taking the path less traveled. AKA getting lost...

The girls wanted to see a place called El Castell de Guadelest, an 11th-century castle built by Muslims as a watchtower for defense. So we turned inland and the coastal scenery was replaced by semi-arid scrublands and the mountains of the Alicante province (La Muntanyas d'Alacant).

Along the way, our GPSs routed us along this broken road that turned gravelly. Neda and I were really enjoying ourselves as the scenery was fantastic and the road was a lot of fun, but I looked back often to make sure the girls were okay in their car. Tajana's little Opel Astra seemed to be handling the uneven terrain okay, and there was no oncoming traffic on the narrow "road" so it all worked out for everyone!

Here's a taste of the scenery before the road crumbled away and I had to use both hands on the bars:

[video=youtube;kSPADjFOvY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSPADjFOvY0[/video]
Riding the Alicante Province

DSCN2903-L.jpg

Back on the main road, and the Castell de Guadelest appears in the distance

Not much remains of the castle, but we could see the watchtower from the bottom. Once again, we opted to not pay the entrance fee, so Tajana the historian went up for a look while we walked around the town at the bottom.

DSC_8660-XL.jpg

View of the castle from the bottom of Guadelest

DSC_0822-L.jpg

I'm sporting my new palm tree hat. Picture by Iva

DSC_8661-L.jpg

Amazing semi-drylands of Alicante

DSC_8673-L.jpg

Girl-talk at the fountain in Guadelest

From Guadelest, the skiers parted company from the snowboarders. Iva and Tajana wanted to see Cartagena, but if we were to accompany them, that would mean arriving at our next apartment after dark, so Neda and I opted to head straight to our next stop. The roads around Guadelest are very entertaining and the two of us had a lot of fun until we hit the coast and then it was straight onto Roldan.

DSCN2905-L.jpg

Trying to find our next apartment, through the wastelands between urbanizacions

Iva booked our next apartment in a town called Roldan. It is what's called an "urbanizacion" in Spain, which is sort of like a gated community out in the middle of nowhere. These urbanizaciones are mainly created by ex-pats who want to live in a warm climate, but don't want to live in an expensive city or an expensive beach or mingle with the locals :(. So they create a community of houses and condominiums in the middle of nowhere, maybe also build a golf course, swimming pools and supermarkets nearby as well.

The result is a super-cheap place to stay with all the amenities for vacationers and snowbirds. Since this was low season (too cold for golfing), a lot of the apartments here are put up for rent for short-term stays. Our place in a golfing community was super-luxurious and cheap to boot! I wished we could have stayed more than one night, but this was just a pit-stop.

DSCN2917-L.jpg

We got lost and entered the wrong urbanizacion. But you get the idea... very ritzy...

From Roldan, skiers and snowboarders departed the next morning separately and headed into the hills of Andalucia! It was quite co-incidental that the next place the girls wanted to see was also where we visited on our last tour of Europe. Looking back on our path, we are actually doing our trip in reverse!

DSC_8692-L.jpg

Twisty roads in the rolling hills of Andalucia. That's me, riding somewhere in the middle of the picture!

DSCN2983-L.jpg

I think I have almost the exact same picture from the same area from our last trip! :)

DSC_8726-L.jpg

Pausing for a relaxing break by the fireplace *whew*

We have stopped in a small town called Alpujarra de la Sierra, which is just a few kms from Berchules, where we stayed seven years ago. I took a look at our path in the last few days and I'm astounded at our pace. You know when you're walking in the airport and then you step on one of those moving sidewalks and then suddenly you're walking twice as fast? Well traveling with The Pula Girls is nothing like that. Instead, it's like riding around and then suddenly being towed by a rocketship compared to how we usually travel.

And the funny thing is that the girls are doing twice as much as we were, cramming in all sorts of sightseeing in between stops. They are literally running circles around us! :)

DSC_8713-XL.jpg

Walking around the very tiny town of Alpujarra de la Sierra

DSC_8710-L.jpg

Looking out over our apartment. Andalucia is beautiful!

DSC_8729-L.jpg

Shaking the olive tree. There's a net underneath that catches the olives as they fall from the tree.

photo-L.jpg

Yes, I am deathly allergic to cats

Cats are bastardos. When you call out to them, they'll never come to you. But the minute you ignore them or go out of your way to avoid them, they make a beeline straight for you.

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/198.html

map198-L.jpg

I know now why we travel so slowly.

Every place we've stopped in Europe, we have been able to score free parking. But the drawbacks to keeping your bike out on the street is that you have to unstrap all the soft bags and bring them inside. Then rinse and repeat in reverse the next morning when you leave. So we are basically packing and unpacking twice a day. Something we rarely did in Latin America because we always rode the bike right into the hotel lobby... It's a Major Hassle. General Pain-In-The-***! Like Corporal Punishment! (HIMYM)

DSCN2995-L.jpg

Strap on, strap off. The Strapper.

The Pula Girls are waiting for us again. Since we only have a short ways to go for our first stop of the day, we leave Alpujarra de la Sierra together and start heading westwards on the very twisty Andalucian mountain roads. Iva has an idea to take a video of us riding away, so I combined some of her footage with mine to make a short video:

[video=youtube;Gn1gohRQH8c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn1gohRQH8c[/video]
Ewan and Charley better start looking for new jobs...

Iva is now the official RideDOT.com videographer. We are going to petition her to change her name to Claudio. Every ride needs a Claudio.

DSCN3012-L.jpg

Around the curve, the white village of Trevélez appears ahead of us

We meet up with the girls in Trevélez, which is known for it's air-cured Iberian hams, specifically the Jamon Serrano. The buildings are white-washed like all the Pueblos Blancos (White Towns) in Andalucia. They say that alkaline properties of the white limewash are anti-bacterial and is also a natural insecticide, but also the buildings are all the same colour for "social cohesiveness". The paint is a relatively recent development. No record of Pueblos Blancos can be found before 1920.

So in other words, "make it appealing for the gringo tourists and their cameras"...

DSCN3015-L.jpg

Gonna find us some yummy ham now!

DSCN3018-L.jpg

Instead, I found an I am un chien Andalusia

We did find a store selling the Jamon Serrano and perused the various sizes and shapes on offer. We wanted to buy a chunk that we could slice off for sandwiches while we were on the road. The owner came out and offered us some samples. They were delicious! Very salty, I like that. I know the Istrians also are well-known for their dried ham, called pršut, so I tried not to be too enthusiastic about the Jamon Serrano, lest I fall into the Pula Amphitheatre trap again...

"It's okay, but I prefer the ham in Pula"

"Don't be ridiculous, this is great!" They picked up a kilo of Iberico.

Oh.

DSCN3035-L.jpg

The owner of the store took us for a tour of his curing facility

Although the pork is not indigenous to the area, the clean, dry mountain air in Andalucia is favorable for curing the meats, and the Jamon Serrano here has been very popular since the 18th century. The Pula Girls remark on the slightly different curing process here. In Istria, the jam is cured with salt and pepper and a few spices, whereas in Trevélez, they only use salt.

mmmm... salt.

DSCN3048-L.jpg

The Pula Girls having a laugh

We ate lunch at a little outdoor diner in Trevélez, a tipico Andalucian dishe called plato alpujarreño with chorizo, eggs, potatoes and blood sausages. The sun was shining and we were all smiles and laughter. That's when it struck me that we've been traveling with Iva and Tajana for over a week now and it hasn't rained one single day. I think this is the longest stretch of good weather we've had since returning to Guatemala in September 2013 (not counting escaping to the Galapagos for a week).

I'm not superstitious normally, but I was starting to see the Pula Girls as a good luck charm. Like some kind of totem against rain.

DSCN3040-M.jpg

Enough of this dog and pony show, let's go!

About this picture: While the girls finished off their meal, I had some leftover blood sausage that didn't taste very good, so I packed it up and walked around trying to find a dog to feed. This little guy was hanging out with the horse behind him like they were buddies. He sniffed at the blood sausage and refused to eat it. Ok, so it's not just me, then...

A bit later, the horse's owner came out and the dog greeted him. They were all from the same family!

IMG_2330-L.jpg

I hope not.

It's only another couple of hours of driving to our next stop for the evening, Granada. Instead of finding an apartment, we were surprised to discover that the place that Neda found online for us was an entire house! Holy crap, every new place is better than the last. It really is better to travel in a group to share the costs!

We settled the communal grocery expenses the other night as well, and we calculated that we are feasting for a couple of Euros each. Not per meal. Per day. Wow!

DSC_8743-L.jpg

Walking through downtown Granada

DSC_8844-L.jpg

We are seeing these big bubble makers everywhere in Spain.

DSC_8768-L.jpg

Hanging out at the square

DSC_8770-L.jpg

Cathedral of the Incarnation

DSC_8776-L.jpg

Classical music fills the air

DSC_8794-L.jpg

Colourful Moorish lamps in a Granada store

There is a lot of Moorish culture in the south of Spain. The cities here have Arabic names like Jerez and Algeciras, which would not seem out of place in Northern Africa. There is also alot of this influence in the architecture and design here. The name Granada comes from the Arabic word Gharnáta. Funny that the Spanish conquistadors carried this name all the way across to Nicaragua. Seems like so long ago that we were there!

DSC_8898-L.jpg

We walked the back alleys trying to find a flamenco show, but they were all very expensive

DSC_8913-L.jpg

Strolling along the Carrera del Darro

DSC_8891-L.jpg

These street musicians were fantastic and kept the crowd entertained with their Spanish Raggae

DSC_8880-L.jpg

Quite by accident, we stumble onto the workshop of the famous luthier family Ferrer

There is a rich history of guitar-making in Granada, but many of the lineages of the current master luthiers can be traced to Benito Ferrer's workshop above which he started in 1875. Benito once gave a classical guitar to a young man because he could not afford to buy one. That young man's name was Andrés Segovia, who turned out to be one of the greatest classical guitarists of all time (his version of Leyenda was the soundtrack to our previous blog entry's video).

DSC_8916-L.jpg

This guy looks a bit sketchy

DSC_8930-L.jpg

Enjoying yet another sunny day with our good weather charms, The Pula Girls!

DSC_8911-L.jpg

A bit of foreshadowing in the background?

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/199.html

map199-L.jpg

Long day ahead of us, so we're waking up extra early.

The Pula Girls had originally planned to come to Granada to see the Moorish palace, Alhambra. We had booked our accommodations for two nights only, one day to see the palace and then leave the next day. However, we had no idea that you had to pre-book tickets to see Alhambra in advance. You can't just show up and go in and because the tickets are limited, they only allow you a small window of time to enter the palace.

So we didn't get to see Alhambra yesterday and we have to check out today so it's all got to fit in, somehow. I'm really appreciating the luxury of time that Neda and I have, compared to how Iva and Tajana are having to squeeze their tour into their jam packed and tight vacation schedule.

DSCN3058-L.jpg

Neda woke up to find that her bike had sent her a message overnight...

DSCN3062-L.jpg

Early morning ride to Alhambra, you can see snow capping the mountains of the Sierra Nevada in the distance. Brrr....

DSC_9172-L.jpg

Finally! We got tickets!

Truthfully, Alhambra wasn't even on my radar for Spain on this trip or our last one seven years ago. Neda had at least heard of it. The Pula Girls organized this excursion and I'm glad we got to go because it's a beautiful example of Medieval Moorish architecture. From all the readings I've done, they say Alhambra is the most visited site in Spain. For good reason too!

I have to be honest and say that I've never read One Thousand and One Arabian Nights, but I did see the Disney Alladin movie... I could imagine flying carpets all over the place and Robin Williams bottled up in every lamp here!

DSC_8941-L.jpg

The palace walls overlook the city of Granada

DSC_1384-L.jpg

General admissions lets you walk around the palace grounds. Tickets are for entry to the palace itself. Picture by Iva

Back
Top Bottom