Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding... | Page 149 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding...

DSC_0228-XL.jpg

So I found out that these monks don't live at Angkor Wat,
they all make pilgrimages to visit the temple

DSC_0231-XL.jpg

Another tourist, just like us. But dressed more snazzy...

DSC_0235-L.jpg

Interacting with the monks

DSC_0243-L.jpg

Walking a bit further away, we get a chance to snap the world-famous shot of Angkor Wat
reflecting off the pond in front of the temple. This is the picture on everyone's Instagram feed

What those Instagram photos never show you is where you have to stand to get the shot:

DSC_0402-L.jpg

Seems so peaceful and serene in front of the camera, doesn't it?

I am fascinated with tourism.

Having traveled to many of the tourist hot-spots, there's often a sharp contrast between the marketing of a destination and the reality. Everyone's picture of the Greek island of Santorini shows the solitary blue domes on spartan white buildings against the wide-open Aegean Sea. There's never any other people in the shot. But the reality is that there are thousands of sweaty tourists all crowding each other trying to take that spartan shot. And *all of them* continuing to perpetuate the marketing myth that Santorini is a peaceful, solitary getaway!

Stonehenge backs up right against a major highway. In Pisa, we took more pictures of the tourists miming than the leaning tower itself. I've heard that the Sphinx in Cairo is being crowded by McDonalds and shopping malls (I still want to see it though!). But everyone wants a picture of how it was a hundred years or a thousand years ago, when there weren't cities and highways, shopping malls and parking lots, and acres of concrete, glass and steel all dominating our landscape.

I find that so interesting.

DSC_0252-L.jpg

Here are two more of those sweaty tourists, lined up to get their picture taken in front of Angkor Wat

We've visited many of the "Top Ten" tourist spots in almost every country we've traveled to. Although we dislike crowds, there is a reason why these places are so popular. Angkor Wat is magnificent, due in part to the sheer size of it, but also all the way down to the well-preserved old grey stones and the odd monk walking around in orange robes (odd as in few, not weird).

DSC_0413-L.jpg

Neda spent a lot of time taking pictures of the lily pads on the pond in front of the temple

DSC_0253-XL.jpg

A horse is parked in front for more tourist picture opportunities.

DSC_0259-L.jpg

So this is a thing now...

We've kept this blog going for so long that it's not only just a diary of where we've been, but it's also become sort of a historical record of worldwide fads and trends. Back in 2012, we returned from a six-week trek to and from the Arctic Ocean in Alaska, and our friends in Vancouver informed us that Gangnam Style had become a thing while we were gone...

So let this be a record. As of right now, "dabbing" is a thing.

Personally, I find it a bit odd. (Odd as in weird, not few)

DSC_0332-L.jpg

Sun is approaching the golden hour and everyone is flocking outside

DSC_0335-L.jpg

The crowds outside the temple

DSC_0370-L.jpg

Are these monks also walking outside to get a shot for their Instagram account?

Not joking! I've seen a few monks tapping and swiping on their smartphones. So apparently it's allowed.

I've heard that they have special Buddhist SIM cards for their phones. There's a guy who sells it to them, he's called the Chip Monk...

(insert obscure Asus Zenfone reference here)

Awesome!

I get the feeling you've done Chiang Mai already, i'm jelly. I was there last May for the Loop and i hope to return soon.

Props on the side trek to Cambodia, it's on my wish list for my next run as well.

Originally posted at http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/381.html

map381-L.jpg

Mention the Khmer temple: "Ta Prohm" to anybody and they'll just stare back at you with no recognition.

Then say "the temple from Tomb Raider" and their eyes will light up, their heads will nod and they'll normally drop a comment about Angelina Jolie's body...

image7-L.jpg

So we're visiting the Tomb Raider temple today. Or I should say, we're visiting the temple *VERY EARLY* this morning.

Just like the Internet told us to go to Angkor Wat for sunset, we read that the best time to go to Ta Prohm is first thing in the morning, to catch the sunrise over the temple, but also to beat the crowds. They recommended to arrive for the opening at 6AM, and then watch the sunrise half and hour later.

So we drove in the dark at 5:30 in the morning, no headlights because I keep forgetting to plug the fuse back in. Who knew we'd be doing so much night-time driving?!? Also... it's COLD at 5:30AM!

We arrive a few minutes before 6AM. The dirt parking lot is entirely empty. Awesome! We hate crowds.

It was hard to find the entrance because there wasn't anyone lining up. We walked around the whole temple. By the time we came back to the parking lot, it was after 6AM. Still nobody at the entrance?

The sun was starting to rise and we were standing around waiting all alone in the parking lot. Well, not entirely alone. A stray dog came over to visit us. He looked at us quizzically. "Yeah, I don't know what we're doing here so early, either..."

Around 6:45AM, a security guard drove up in a pick up truck. We asked him when the temple would open. He replied, "7:30AM".

DAMN YOU, INTERNET!!!!!! You owe me an hour and a half of sleep!

DSC_0436-L.jpg

First one through the entrance of Ta Prohm. And just one other couple (we'll just call them Mr and Mrs Smith) who arrived at 7:30AM. Obviously their Google-fu was better than mine...

Last edited:
DSC_0475-L.jpg

The temples were interesting, but people visit Ta Prohm to see this: trees!

DSC_0476-L.jpg

Or rather, they want to see the roots of these trees creep down into the stones of the temple

So photogenic and creepy! They look like alien ooze has dripped from an interstellar faucet above, cascading over the tops of the temples and then petrified over time.

Hm... that almost sounds like the plot of another Angelina Jolie movie...

DSCN3230-XL.jpg

Looking around for interesting things to take pictures of

DSC_0506-L.jpg

So cool-looking!!!

DSC_0510-L.jpg

The roots have clambered all over the temples walls, gaining purchase in the nooks and crannies in their thirsty march for nutrients, soil and water

The Khmer Empire fell in the 15th century and Ta Prohm was abandoned, left behind for the jungle to consume. Over time, these trees sunk their roots into the limestone to extract the moisture out of it, crawling all over the structures.

Today, there is scaffolding in place all around parts of Ta Prohm, as restoration work is ongoing to reclaim parts of the temple back from the greedy Ents. But they've left just enough of the tree roots to maintain the mysterious and atmospheric creepiness.

DSC_0598-XL.jpg

Hey, look who came in to join us! Our friend from (VERY EARLY) this morning! We nicknamed him, "The Bone Collector"

DSC_0511-L.jpg

Anywayz... back to the treez

I also found out that it's not one type of tree invading the temple. There are a few species that botanists have identified. I like the name of one of them: the Strangler Fig. That totally sounds like the title of an Angelina Jolie film. I'm going straight to IMDB to check...

DSC_0518-L.jpg

The roots are so Maleficent-looking

DSC_0519-L.jpg

Yes, we actually went inside the temple, instead of gawking at the trees. Neda is looking for a Tomb to Raid.

DSC_0612-XL.jpg

I read that these trees are all decayed. I dunno, they look pretty alive to me...

The tree roots are everywhere. They pop up out of the ground in between the stone tiles. I was just thinking to myself, if you weren't looking down, you could trip over one.

And just then, I see Neda stumble ahead of me. She immediately grabs her right ankle and cries out in pain: "OW OW OW OW!!"

She hops over to a bench and we sit down to survey the damage. She reassures me that it's just a light sprain, but on the walk back to the bikes, she's visibly limping.

I hope that she'll be okay to ride. Thailand is demanding that we return in just 12 days (tick-tock)!

I felt horrible for Neda. We probably weren't going to be doing any hiking for a while, either... Hmm, is it a bad thing that I went straight there...?

It's funny (funny peculiar, not funny haha) that on this trip, she's injured herself so many times, just not while on the motorcycle: She's sliced open a tendon in her finger while using a can opener. She's slipped a disc in her back playing beach volleyball. I wonder if I should mention that she had to give up playing Candy Crush because she developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome...?

Girl, Interrupted her game-play by bad wrists...

DSC_0620-L.jpg

Our bikes, right where we left them, alone in the parking lot with no other cars around...

We spent over an hour at Ta Prohm, and only a few other tourists came in. Everyone else slept in! Or their Internet told them to come later on during the day!

So here we were, still early enough in the morning not to be stinking hot. We were originally going to do the third temple, Bayon, the next day. But since we were here anyway, we rode over. It was only 5 minutes away by bike.

DSC_0773-XL.jpg

On the way to Bayon, we saw this

From our education at the Elephant Sanctuary, we now know that it's bad for the animal to carry people on its back like that. Poor guy... :(

DSC_0639-L.jpg

More free parking for our motorcycles. And we have shade too!

DSC_0739-L.jpg

Inside Bayon temple

The name of the temple is a mispronunciation of "Banyon", a type of fig tree that takes root in the cracks and crevices of other trees or stones. It's also called a "strangler fig"...

Ah ha!

But there are no Angelina-Jolie-alien-ooze-movie-props here. If Ta Prohm is known for trees, then Bayon is known for:

DSC_0659-XL.jpg

Faces

The upper terrace of Bayon is home to the "200 Faces of Lokeshvara". Lokeshvara was a bodhisattva, someone who has attained Buddhahood. Bodhisattvas are a popular subject in Buddhist art. I guess they are kind of like the Saints in Catholicism.

Also, is it me, or is the word, "Buddhahood" one of the funniest words you can say out loud?

DSC_0668-L.jpg

There are lots of these giant stone towers on the upper terrace, containing two, three or more often, four faces - one on each side of the tower

There are over 200 smiling Lokeshvaras carved into the 37 towers up here. There might have been more stone towers (maybe up to 49 of them), but some of them have eroded and crumbled away over time.

DSC_0674-L.jpg

Although the faces are supposed to be of Loeshvara, some people think it bears closer resemblance to the king of the time, Jayavarman VII

DSC_0682-L.jpg

Kickin' it in da Buddhahood

Amazing morning for me checking out your pics of Thailand and my daughters pics of her 3 weeks in mexico and Costa Rica guiding for Quest Nature Tours.More coffee please.

Those monks are the original masters of Hi-Viz.

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/382.html

map382-L.jpg

We've spent three amazing days in Siem Reap visiting the temples at Angkor Wat but now the countdown on how long we can stay out of Thailand is slowly ticking down menacingly. We're feeling like there's just so much to see, and not nearly enough time to see it all.

Ugh, I thought we came to SE Asia to get away from FOMO, but it followed us all the way here!

DSCN3262-L.jpg

Leaving our hotel in Siem Reap

We're riding further south into the country. The scenery alternates between rural - the odd rusty tin-shacked house on stilts overlooking the road - and then every so often it opens up into a larger town. The water levels must rise fairly high that every house needs to be on stilts!

DSCN3270-L.jpg

Speaking of which, we stop for a water break

Back
Top Bottom