Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding... | Page 128 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding...

Aluminum? Add another syllable: Alumin-EE-um.

That's just ridiculesterous.

In defense of the most abundant metal in the Earth's crust, the entire civilized world calls it "aluminium" with the exceptions of Canada and America (as far as I'm aware).

All of the metals on the periodic table of elements that end in "um" end in "ium", with the only universal exception being platinum, for Spanish reasons (platina so easily turns into platinum, I guess, and when you discover an element, it's yours to name). A linguistic error in illiterate North America caused people here to call it "aluminum", when it was originally named "aluminium" in Denmark.

Trust me, I'm a scientist :)

In defense of the most abundant metal in the Earth's crust, the entire civilized world calls it "aluminium" with the exceptions of Canada and America (as far as I'm aware).

All of the metals on the periodic table of elements that end in "um" end in "ium", with the only universal exception being platinum, for Spanish reasons (platina so easily turns into platinum, I guess, and when you discover an element, it's yours to name). A linguistic error in illiterate North America caused people here to call it "aluminum", when it was originally named "aluminium" in Denmark.

Trust me, I'm a scientist :)

Hmm. I always thought aluminum was the original spelling which goes against popular opinion...Sir Humphrey Davy (a Brit) named it that way, then changed it to aluminium later. Trust me I'm a chemist.

Hmm. I always thought aluminum was the original spelling which goes against popular opinion...Sir Humphrey Davy (a Brit) named it that way, then changed it to aluminium later. Trust me I'm a chemist.

He called it "alumium" first, then changed it to "aluminum", then settled on "aluminium" finally.

He called it "alumium" first, then changed it to "aluminum", then settled on "aluminium" finally.

....and aluminum was the more widely used term even in the uk until later on. There's other odd language instances too such as sulfur and sulphur. Even though sulphur is the original term, sulfur is used in most international journals.

I have lived in Canada for nearly 100% of my life. I spell things the "American" way, if you want to call it that, dropping unnecessary letters in "color", etc. The "k" in "knife" and "knowledge" both piss me off because they are logically stupid. I pronounce it "aluminium", because that's its actual name and it sounds different if you drop the "i". As for sulphur versus sulfur, both names existed long before humanity even came up with the Scientific Method or faked the idea of Jesus being divine, so it more a matter of efficiency rather than correctness. "Sulfur" makes more sense, as it is doubly efficient to make an "f" sound with an actual "f" than with a "ph". Not my fault your typesets all sucked so you used a "ph" to not confuse "f" with "s".

Oh, I also call it "zee" (like most of the world does) and not "zed". Who the hell thought calling it "zed" made any logical sense? Weirdos. Zeta (ZEE-tah), the origin of Z came long before the bastardization of it by the French into zede -> zed.

Anyway, rant over.

Last edited:
I use the English pronunciation of ZED.
I use it for almost all of my letters:
A = aye
B = bed
C = ced
D = ded
E = ed
?

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Oh, I also call it "zee" (like most of the world does) and not "zed". Who the hell thought calling it "zed" made any logical sense? Weirdos. Zeta (ZEE-tah), the origin of Z came long before the bastardization of it by the French into zede -> zed.

Anyway, rant over.

Led Zeppelin or Led Zeeppelin.....:)

Last three bikes I've owned Zed x 9, FZed 1 and FZed 09. Anytime you substitute the Zed to the Zee it doesn't sound right. Gives me 1980's flashbacks of road and track tv.

"Eff Zee Arr" sounds perfect. "Zee Ecks 6,9,10,14,2389573479569,whatever" also sounds perfect. Perfectly perfect, as just perfection intended.
"FAY-zer", after all, not "F'zd-er".
All built with aluminIUM bodies, I believe. but I could be wrong about that.

Back
Top Bottom