blackberry 10 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

blackberry 10

I think you are mixing it all up here. We're talking mobile/wireless infrastructure and in that realm they are not faster than the 1st world. They are incredibly slow in comparison. I get your point that they might skip intermediate steps and can take bigger leaps to catch up but they are still playing catch up.

You need to then think of the end user. Even if the infrastructure gets there, how much of the population can really fully utilize it? If your average joe in many developing countries is looking for a smartphone, he likely cannot even buy an iPhone so he looks for an entry level model like a cheaper android unit or a blackberry curve. Then there are the costs incurred with running the phone and having a smartphone that is more efficient on bandwidth is something that an informed customer who NEEDS to keep cost down would care about. When money is in short supply, that matters.

And the scale of value for even running a basic cell phone let alone a smartphone is totally different. I was in Jordan last year and I found out that even running a prepaid cell phone costs as much there as it does here (sometimes more) yet wages (I was talking to a guy with a wife and 2 kids and he was makeing $300 per month) and everything else are much less so the scale of value on a mobile phone is totally different.

I get that you think RIM is a cooked goose, thats totally fine, opinion noted but trying to say that security, encryption and efficiency do not matter is silly. It matters and is why many companies will migrate off BB's and adopt Apple but are more hesitant to adopt Android. Because of security. Its why Samsung is trying to prove they can match BB's with their S.A.F.E designated phones

I don't know, maybe the point you are trying to make is that those attributes are not enough to keep RIM in the game? If thats the case, I probably agree with you. RIm has needed more than that.

Just a little story about a 3rd world country like Egypt:

By the early 1990s there were virtually no cell phones. By the mid to late 90s, cell phones were rare. Only high end management folks had basic Nokias. Meanwhile the land line network was in ruin. Egypt never fully implemented land lines let alone even TOUCH TONE DIALLING!

My family in Egypt is upper class, and even they only had 1 touchtone phone in the home! That was back in 1998.

By the time I visited again in 2001 EVERYONE HAD CELL PHONES! The newest Nokias of the time, they were even bragging about having had the newest Nokia in the Matrix.

Visit Egypt now, and witness how people will drop 2 months salary on an iPhone!

I will gauranty you that 3rd world countries leap frog intermediate technology. They will not adopt RIM products while they save up for an iPhone, they will simply get their hands on bootlegged or smuggled in unlocked iPhones from expats.

Unless you're talking about dustbowl 3rd world countries in Africa somewhere, no one will be excited over a product which is seen as shameful in the West. I said "developing" nations....which means up and coming.

Egypt by the way jumped right into the mobile industry to the point of setting up Wind mobile in Canada. They didn't waste any time with Cellular networks or pagers or text pagers or analog phones or any of that. When they finally jumped into the industry it was straight into digital GSM networks.

As I say, developing countries immitate what is currently the hottest product in the West, they reverse engineer incredibly fast and eventually begin to innovate.

China buys antiquated or bankrupt Western companies, reverse engineers their products, sells of the stock to locals to buy time while the R&D departments come out with an evolution. I am refering to the British auto company Rover in this case, back in 2005/6 I believe. Now they are buying oil companies in North America. UAE almost bought the US Port Authority and the list goes on. I believe UAE own P&O ferries now too. These are major first world developed products / services / businesses.

This is the way the developing nations operate. Don't expect them to purchase second or third tier Western products. Even so they already went through that with Nokia. Indian companies are already in the development stage of cars, motorcycles and tablets! The Asian Tigers are past that stage, and they make their own products. Who does RIM plan to sell their crap to, Mongolia, DRC? Even Africa will soon become a market to peddle Chinese or developing world products as a trade off for resources!

Look for example at the developing market of Turkey and how they expanded into central Asia and parts of Africa in the past 10 years. Developing markets cannot compete in tech and service sectors in the 1st world, so they offer their services to resource rich 3rd world nations.

Trust me, there will be an Indian phone in the hands of poor rural Indonesians before a BB is. And if the village saves up enough for a 1st world phone, it will either be an HTC, a Samsung, or an iPhone! And if none of those....an iPhone Chinese rip off!

One of the only industries that follows the model RIM is banking on it aviation, aerospace, and the military industries. All of these gladly sell off second hand or second tier products to developing or 3rd world nations. The reseach and technology is so advanced, the buyers are so huge and limited, and the industry is so secretive and protected by governments that it is not likely a developing nation will be able to catch up their military or aviation equipment, let alone find a market to sell it to. Russia and China being the only "developing" world exceptions here, and even they sell their second tier equipment to 3rd world nations. You don't see many British firearms in the hands of Africans, where as Chinese AKs and AK ammunition is rampant.

The firearms industry follows the typical low tech industry models, where as the super high tech industries follow the model RIM thinks it is in. Hoping some Malaysian would be happy to have a small Bombardier fleet of planes for inter-island flights. If I heard that from Bombardier I would agree, but not from RIM. RIM is actually hoping for an Airbus style market growth, selling mid size planes to everyone else in the world while Boeing and McDonald Douglas rest on their laurels cornering the 1st world market, then bam out of nowhere Airbus is a big player. Not gonna happen in such a (now) low tech, widely dispersed industry that is fairly resource unintensive with high margins.

Last edited:
I have no idea why you keep going on about leap frogging intermediate technologies. Nobody is arguing that dude.

It's like, Im a Cambodian and I can finally afford to buy a PC. What do I do? I buy what is on the market at my pricepoint which is likely going to be current or close to current technology. It will probably be equip with Windows 7 or even for the sake of argument Vista or XP.

Of course I am not going to mimic the steps the 1st world countries took in buying PCs. Im not going to buy a 286 then 386, then 486, Pentium 1, 2, 3 etc... Im not going to buy a DOS computer and then move to Windows 95! Of course I am going to bypass those steps. Of course my progression from "No PC" to "Got a PC" is going to be different. The reasons for that are obvious.

Your assumption seems to be that you believe RIM products are "intermediate steps" that have been made obsolete by Apple/Samsung. Am i correct in understanding this? And as such you think nobody will buy RIM products. If you visit BB sites like crackberry or pay attention you'll hear RIM still point out that they are doing very well in Indonesia, Nigeria and South Africa where they are the number 1 choice still. It was only late last year I believe that they slipped out of the number 1 spot in Canada. This is just fact not opinion, not fanboy hype. You need to chill, there is no need to get all worked up about what brand of smartphone you rock.

The rest of your post goes off on some tangent that makes you sound like a disgruntled ex-RIM employee or something. Whatever dude.

I have no idea why you keep going on about leap frogging intermediate technologies. Nobody is arguing that dude.

It's like, Im a Cambodian and I can finally afford to buy a PC. What do I do? I buy what is on the market at my pricepoint which is likely going to be current or close to current technology. It will probably be equip with Windows 7 or even for the sake of argument Vista or XP.

Of course I am not going to mimic the steps the 1st world countries took in buying PCs. Im not going to buy a 286 then 386, then 486, Pentium 1, 2, 3 etc... Im not going to buy a DOS computer and then move to Windows 95! Of course I am going to bypass those steps. Of course my progression from "No PC" to "Got a PC" is going to be different. The reasons for that are obvious.

Your assumption seems to be that you believe RIM products are "intermediate steps" that have been made obsolete by Apple/Samsung. Am i correct in understanding this? And as such you think nobody will buy RIM products. If you visit BB sites like crackberry or pay attention you'll hear RIM still point out that they are doing very well in Indonesia, Nigeria and South Africa where they are the number 1 choice still. It was only late last year I believe that they slipped out of the number 1 spot in Canada. This is just fact not opinion, not fanboy hype. You need to chill, there is no need to get all worked up about what brand of smartphone you rock.

The rest of your post goes off on some tangent that makes you sound like a disgruntled ex-RIM employee or something. Whatever dude.

1) RIM isn't a "entry price point" product. I would imagine buying a slightly antiquated product at a low price could still work to their advantage in the 3rd or developing world. But they aren't priced that way. The Playbook was a high priced flop and their subsequent attempt to save it below at-cost levels was a disaster because it smacked of desperation, in a market where the "hype-factor" is the ultimate selling point. Apple sells on usability for the masses and aesthetic hype ALONE! RIM have neither! Why the hell would a Cambodian average person buy a phone at a high price point, languishing hype appeal with a terribile use-interface and dated aesthetic? It is even rapidly losing its business hype cache, by the week!

2) If RIM isn't leading technology they aren't worth copying in the developing world. No one looks to aspire to be number 2 or 3 or even 4 (as Microsoft is poised to move past RIM). Why would anyone in Nigeria, SA, or Indonesia CONTINUE to use RIM?

3) The next batch of far East copy cat products will fill the niche for entry point products easily, much the way HTC vollied from 2006 onwards. And the likes of the new Nexus and Kindle Fire will lay waste to any RIM attempt to come in at a low price point. Samsung have products out the ying yang, from the most basic phones for a Zulu village elder to an Indian student. RIM has nothing on 3rd world price points. RIM only has cache, and they are losing it rapidly.

4) Hanging on by their fingernails to outdated stats about who uses RIM in South Africa isn't going to cut it in the face of losing homeground! Those stats are out of date as they are currently locked into contracts or in the process of saving to buy a new phone. The more worrying stats are that even RIM loyalists are holding off buying any OS7 product a whole year until the OS10 mirage appears. That's a phenomenal loss and disaster. You think the 3rd world is saving 2 to 6 months salary to buy a curve? Why bother when they need more time to save and in the end will get the phone that grants them the biggest status in their local society. When people save for months for a phone, they aren't looking for a phone that simply does the job...there are plenty of recycled, beat up Nokias out there to do the job. They aspire to join the ranks of the global elite....and if those elite don't like RIM, neither will your average Cambodian.

5) I don't work for RIM, though I do have a BB. I have my issues with iCrap too, but in the end, through extensive use of both, RIM is faltering badly.

6) Maybe you missed this story, but even NY thieves have handed back BBs, upset that the person they mugged didn't have an iPhone! So why is it that you think the developing world, or those less materialistically fortunate, wouldn't do the same? http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/12/thief_blackberry_iphone.php Picky thief? Anecdotal? Sure, but the way everyone is jumping all over the shrinking (even black market) for BBs, its telling of an waning market, even among those who are at lower price points.

7) RIM has been harping on about their global good standing for over a year now, and not capitalizing on it, simply flogging the same tired phones they can't peddle over here, attempting to stave off chop shop take-overs, skiddish share holders, and instill some confidence in the 1st world markets. This ploy should have got them through 1 tough shareholders meeting, not upwards of 4, several botched press releases and a pathetic convention in May. It is a testament to the lack of anything new emerging.

8) Is anyone excited about seeing the Playbook OS on a phone that looks like a iPhone 4? Really? Is that what the new hype is? Windows 8 is about to smack down RIM and challenge Apple in less than 4 months, with a productive tablet that is fully integrated with my phone and pc / laptop / xbox / tv. What the hell does RIM have left? They couldn't even manage to sync their phone to their tablet up properly for nearly 10 months? RIM are no where in the PC and tablet world and have no alliances in place! RIM still is the best Enterprise phone sure, but Microsoft will take back what is theirs in a matter of months. Oh and the Japanese have been swiping their phones over quick pass machines (as wallets) for quite some time now....it's a gimmick that isnt treading water. It is not the savior of RIM. Do you recall how long it took to roll out chip and pin cards? And how recently that infrustructure roll out was? You think everyone is going to switch over to RIM specific pay passes? No chance, if and when it does happen it will be a cross platform feature, and you can bet Microsoft or Windows or Google have the clout to push something like that out into the market.

9) Quite frankly RIM should be doing something like Google glass. Their name is all about progressive innovation, yet Google is the one pushing boundaries and leaking them a year in advance, building hype and market testing. Where are my RIM executive business glasses, instead of my overpriced Porsche lemon? Really, after the PB and Porsche bombs, and Torch botched executions and luke warm receptions respectively, what possible hope could you have? Oh, and did we forget the network shutdowns last year?!?!?! Still trust their services? PS I have a PB too....the updated one, with email and all....trust me it doesn't set the world on fire!

10) I have dear lifelong friends at RIM. I know their mortgages and incomes are on the line. I know RIM has tanked a healthy chunk of Canadian Pension Plans. It is in no one's interest to see them go down. But their failures must be exposed and studied so this mistake isn't made again. This isn't a pathetic Avro Arrow heritage story gone wrong because of our big bad bully neighbour, this is a Canadian failure of its own making! There is no reason why Canada should flounder so badly and a country like Korea outclass us in what was for a time our "specialty".

3 reasons to love Blackberry.

1) You'll have to pry the keyboard away from my cold dead fingers.

2) I can leave this thing lying around and nobody will steal it. Great!

3) Cos of all RIMs problems, all their stuff is on fire sale. Free BB's, free software upgrades, cheap Playbooks, etc.

Keep at it RIM... can't wait to get my grubby paws on a discounted BB10 phone.

If they go out of business, so be it. Their fault, not mine. Android is taking over the world anyways.

As I said in an earlier post....encryption and security ARE NOT selling points in the 3rd or developing world! Blackberry strengths don't play over there and the developing world's volumes are a poor last ditch attempt by RIM to appear current.

"In separate developments late Wednesday, RIM countered reports that said the company had agreed to hand over encryption keys to the government in India that would allow access to secure emails and its BlackBerry messenger services.
“RIM is providing an appropriate lawful access solution that enables India’s telecom operators to be legally compliant (with BlackBerrys) to the same degree as other smartphone providers in India,” the company said in an emailed statement.
RIM said the access agreement does not extend to its enterprise communications, or business customers.
“RIM cannot access information encrypted through BlackBerry enterprise server as RIM is not ever in possession of the encryption keys,” it said.
The company “maintains a consistent global standard for lawful access requirements that does not include special deals for specific countries.”"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...job-cuts-possible-source-says/article4457143/

Anymore talk of developing world sales keeping the company boyant is a smokescreen for cheesed off shareholders and that's all it is. If RIM wants to stream line and play to its only remaining strength, it should prepare for a switch to become a private US Government contractor in mobile communications encryption and security, working and exclusively AGAINST the developing world!

Check out the next round of layoffs too....in total that is nearly 66% of the company since the start of layoffs, nearly 10,000 (2000 + 5000 + 3000) of their 15,000 or so employees. That leaves 2000 BB10 employees who could be on the block within a year, and another 2000 hardcore encrypters, and say another 1000 admin / marketing / damage control employees.

First they said they were laying off 2000 mostly over seas positions, then 5000 across the board positions, now another 3000 retail and ancillary positions, leaving just the BB10 core. We know that's a total gamble, and possible vapourware too, so I personally see the company down to 3000 employees becoming 1 of the rainbow of companies that supplies other phone companies with some sort of service or product; like 1 of the umpteen component / software firms that no one hears of that go into an iPhone. And even at that they may run into up and coming stiff competition. I have no confidence that they could lock up that market and dominate at that. Their track record is that they couldnt lock up a monopoly if it were as simple as stuffing a boardgame under their bed.

gRIM news for investors.

Maybe there is yet another reason to love RIM.....cheap house prices in Waterloo.

Last edited:
Good thing they didn't give him an NHL team..

I figure Blackberry people will be clicking on this thread

1) free Updated OS for PB has been released

2) Bestbuy dropped the price for a PB to $180
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/blackberry-tablets/31042.aspx

Great price for a decent tablet and pairs beautifully with BB.

I got an open box PB haggled down at best buy from $200, down to $170. At that price....it's a sweet little gadget. It is not a power tool to accomplish any serious work though. It can get you out of a pinch when needing to fire off a slightly tweaked document, but lacks polished word / spreadsheet processing power. With a couple apps and a lot of screen swiping / open tasking, one can cobble together a professional looking email from the beach....but it will take you 3 to 4 times as long.

Again, good gadget for that kind of price. Sucks if you paid $250 or over!

BB stuff is a bargain as a fire sale product as you mentioned before. If everything BB was at that kind of price point, they could hurt the market, but sadly at that price they are hurting themselves and it cannot be sustained.

I have mine sync with my BB and with the keyboard it works pretty good, and for ~$200 you really can't go wrong

I have mine sync with my BB and with the keyboard it works pretty good, and for ~$200 you really can't go wrong

Agreed. I love my playbook. To the points above tablets as a whole are not the PC replacements people thought they would be.. they are great for doing something on the run, excellent for entertainment and travel.. in my business I use it for showing photo's to clients, looking up properties on the road, e-signing contracts etc.. but I still need a laptop for getting down to business. That said of the tablets, the playbook is a powerhouse.. unlike the admittedly dated blackberry OS, the playbook os is new, rugged and progressive. I would challenge anyone to find something that can be done on an ipad on an android tablet that can't be done on a playbook. Note that I did say can't be done, not that the app has not yet been made available.. that's not a RIM issue, it's a developer issue. I do admit SOME apps (not as many as people make it out to be) are missing, but its not an issue of them not function on the playbook, it's an issue of the perception of lack of interest in it. Unfortunately that's a chicken and egg thing.. the developers didn't want to write apps because they thought no one would buy one.. people didn't buy one because the developers weren't making the apps.. and it goes round and round.. but it has gotten significantly better, and continues to do so. RIM has put significant efforts into bringing developers on board for the new platform but it will take time. Apple didn't have all the apps it has now the first year their OS came out either. And when they launch their next OS, they'll have to build them up again.

The sync options are going to be greatly improved with BB10 as well because the playbook and the phones will be running on the same platform. A lot of stuff in the works there for some pretty cool synergies, bother between phone and tablet and also phone and car among other things. Remember 60% of cars already run on RIM's QNX platform whether you know it or not (and whether the trolls want to agree or not, it's a fact. Call GM, audi, and many MANY more.. onstar, most in dash nav system, computerized displays, in car diagnostic systems ect run on QNX) so the possibilities there are endless as far as what kind of vehicle information can be accessed from the phone/tablet, and what kind of things you will be able to control from it.

Some pretty cool stuff in the works.

I do admit SOME apps (not as many as people make it out to be) are missing, but its not an issue of them not function on the playbook, it's an issue of the perception of lack of interest in it. Unfortunately that's a chicken and egg thing.. the developers didn't want to write apps because they thought no one would buy one.. people didn't buy one because the developers weren't making the apps.. and it goes round and round.. but it has gotten significantly better, and continues to do so. RIM has put significant efforts into bringing developers on board for the new platform but it will take time.

Not only developers don't want to develop on the platform because of small amount of users, but also the crappy api, crappy support, crappy hardware. A monkey can copy and paste code on line and develop an app for Android, not so much for bb. If anyone ever develop on bb, you will know the pain of waiting for it to sign and deploy. Also, lacking of developing tools is also a big drawback. There are no good emulator, no automated testing tools, no good debugging tools.. list go on.

Bb did a great job using QNX on playbook but it is 2 years too late. It still suffer most of the bb problem I listed above to make it unpopular.

Is QNX on BB10 still vapour-ware? Have they actually released anything to beta people? Or is this just wishful thinking still?

I really hope HorizonXP chimes in on this thread.

He's an app developer and I read on other sites that he developed some spanking apps for the BB. He apparently impressed a few other developers at the BB DevCon convention.

I believe he can tell us if BB10 is the real deal.

Invictus.... RIM put out some alpha devices for the app guys to have something to work with.
http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-dev-alpha-hands

RIM has really been reaching out to developers for BB10, they set up a series of Developer Conventions and apparently in every country they at near full capacity, or sold out.
http://www.blackberrydevcon.com/

Last edited:

He's an app developer and I read on other sites that he developed some spanking apps for the BB. He apparently impressed a few other developers at the BB DevCon convention.

Invictus.... RIM put out some alpha devices for the app guys to have something to work with.

RIM has really been reaching out to developers for BB10, they set up a series of Developer Conventions and apparently in every country they at near full capacity, or sold out.

Agreed. I hear he did a motorcyle app of some sort.

They seem to focus on the phone form..I'm curious how their port of QNX is going. How are the dev tools? How is the integration? How much success have they had porting their basic apps over? I believe they've pushed back their launch date? I'm curious what the realistic launch date is and how many important app developers are on-side. Time is a factor..I'm curious if this will be a good, solid launch...or death by a thousand cuts..

Not only developers don't want to develop on the platform because of small amount of users, but also the crappy api, crappy support, crappy hardware. A monkey can copy and paste code on line and develop an app for Android, not so much for bb. If anyone ever develop on bb, you will know the pain of waiting for it to sign and deploy. Also, lacking of developing tools is also a big drawback. There are no good emulator, no automated testing tools, no good debugging tools.. list go on.

Bb did a great job using QNX on playbook but it is 2 years too late. It still suffer most of the bb problem I listed above to make it unpopular.

What you say regarding the dev tools was true of BBOS, but you obviously have no knowledge of the dev tools released for BB10 (QNX). I am not a developer myself but I know many and I am told they are best in class.

Is QNX on BB10 still vapour-ware? Have they actually released anything to beta people? Or is this just wishful thinking still?

No beta, but the alpha has been released to developers. I have had hands on time with it and it's truly excellent. For a very general picture of it, think of a supped up feature rich version of what's currently on the playbook.

HorizonXP is fairly active on the blackberry forum, he seems pretty knowledgeable. I had also heard about his showing at blackberry dev con.. would be interested to hear his candid thoughts outside the blackberry fan forum.

Agreed. I hear he did a motorcyle app of some sort.

I did not hear about a motorcycle app.. why do I not have this installed? I certainly hope he chimes in now so he can tell me where I can get it.

They seem to focus on the phone form..I'm curious how their port of QNX is going. How are the dev tools? How is the integration? How much success have they had porting their basic apps over? I believe they've pushed back their launch date? I'm curious what the realistic launch date is and how many important app developers are on-side. Time is a factor..I'm curious if this will be a good, solid launch...or death by a thousand cuts..

The port of QNX is fully functional and the dev tools are excellent as I said above.. the integration of Blackberry core apps is the hold up in relation to the launch date being pushed back.. each app was re-written by a focused team, and all work well.. but they now need to be meshed together properly. A direct quote from the CEO spoke to the fact that he could have maintained the original time line, and had all the features on the phone.. but he wanted the extra 2 months to properly integrate everything together for a perfectly polished best in class flow on the device. Love them or hate them.. one thing that's pretty hard to argue is blackberry has always had fantastic integration of their apps... the messages with the calendar with the contacts management etc.. being able to go from the call log to saving the number to adding a note for it, to pulling up a reverse directory for it without leaving the first app.. he wanted the experience with BB10 to be as seamless and that's why the extra time. He's now said publicly that they will launch in January. As for developers there has been an active push by rim to get developers on board.. from hosting developer events in cities around the world (including one here in toronto not long ago) to providing developers with the alpha devices, to the best in class tools.. and from what I've told heavy support from RIM itself. There has even been reports of RIM sending it's own dev teams to some of the majors (skype netflix etc) to offer to help or make their apps for them.. as was said above, the developer events have been sold out around the world.. the dev's seem to be quite excited about BB10 and happy with the tools. Also it runs the android engine, so almost any android app can be ported to BB10 by its developer in a matter of minutes.

I don't claim to have a crystal ball.. but I certainly think they are doing everything right. I'm personally excited for BB10 and I hope for the best.

Last edited:
For those who think RIM can still depend on the developing or third world markets:
http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwi...nfoId=2674&directoryId=5006&treeId=3746&tab=0

Huawei G6600 Qwerty phone, Sleek and slim, 2.4 inch screen, give you a broader viewpoint; All Band design, let you enjoy the global journey at ease; and the powerful IM and E-mail processing functions, meet your wrok needs. G6600, Communication from the world will no boundaries.

Might want to try at least proof reading their website if they want people to believe they`ve made a quality phone..

Back
Top Bottom