Motorcycle Maintenance Course | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Maintenance Course

Jatt

Hey, I was thinking about signing up for Humber's Motorcycle maintenance course to just get the basics down for keeping my '81 Honda running smooth, anyone taken the bike mechanic courses there (or any other GTA college they would recommend)?

I would recommend buying the repair manual and a good set of tools from Canadian tire instead of taking the course. There are plenty of Youtube videos you can watch and learn from.

I took it years ago: a complete waste of time and money. Nothing practical was learned. Oil changes? Nope. Brakes and tires? Negative. Chains? Batteries? Again no. Matthew is correct: buy/download the manual and learn on your own.

I took a couple of courses a few years back: Electrical and Maintenance. I was expecting something a bit different. Learning about how a bike makes electricity, dismantling a stator, and why there are score marks in a cylinder did not seem what I wanted to know. I mean, I wanted to learn how to wrench my bike to keep it safe. It was interesting and all, but if you are learning to try to save a few $ then spending about $700 for a couple of courses is not really good value. As suggested, a good manual, info from here, and save your money for good tools like a decent torque wrench might be a better approach if you're trying to learn to wrench your bike at least in my opinion.

I found both courses had a few students who needed to try to impress everyone with their knowledge and basically wasted a lot of time too. Annoying in any course.

BGFA, I had a very similar experience. Instructor was nice enough, but there was nothing I learned that I could practically and reasonably apply to maintaining my own motorcycle.

My friend is very serious about starting a motorcycle mechanics school in Mississauga.
But his school will be different. He will teach FIXING motorcycles.
That means, if something isn't working, you will find out why, and then proceed to fix it if possible.
Not like the schools today, that teach switching parts that do not work.
This kind of experience is very different. The customer will actually pay less because there are very few new parts. Of course the part will be replaced if no suitable repair is available.
We are talking about things like electrical components, linkages, shocks, switches, stators, etc.

If you are going to work on your bike you should get the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL. I've had my bike for 16 years and bang my head against the wall for not getting that damn thing, I will one day.

My friend is very serious about starting a motorcycle mechanics school in Mississauga.
That means, if something isn't working, you will find out why, and then proceed to fix it if possible.
This kind of experience is very different. The customer will actually pay less because there are very few new parts. Of course the part will be replaced if no suitable repair is available.
We are talking about things like electrical components, linkages, shocks, switches, stators, etc.

That's the type tutelage I'd pay for.

I'd pay a premium to be able to drop my bike off and have it come out perfect a few days later. The mechanics trade has specified "hours" per check and test. I would pay a lot more for someone who actually just solved problems without going on about how much work it was and how complicated it was. Not to complain, as I have been sold some efficient and cheerful service from some shops around town, but confidence is priceless.

Maybe I just need a butler who wrenches bikes?

I agree. Give me a price. Fix it for that price on the day you said. And shut the hell up.

I'd pay a premium to be able to drop my bike off and have it come out perfect a few days later. The mechanics trade has specified "hours" per check and test. I would pay a lot more for someone who actually just solved problems without going on about how much work it was and how complicated it was. Not to complain, as I have been sold some efficient and cheerful service from some shops around town, but confidence is priceless.

Maybe I just need a butler who wrenches bikes?

There are 4 things I would really like to learn and do on my own....

1. How to clean and lube the chain on my bike effectively and efficiently.
2. How to change oil and filter on my bike.
3. How to winterize my bike and store it properly.
4. How to get my bike started properly at the start of summer.

Just the absolutely basic maintenance a bike needs year after year.

I'd be happy knowing just these things. Anything more than that I would rather take it to a mechanic.

For BMW owners, Budd's offers these basic maintenance courses for free. Last ones were evenings in the spring (one evening oer type of bike) and went over chain maintenance, battery, winterization, oil and filter changes, and more. Nothing you couldn't learn on YouTube but seeing it done correctly right in front of you and having the opportunity to ask questions is very useful.

Damn. I gotta keep my eyes open for more of these kinda seminars.

I wish Honda dealerships did the same thing that Budds' was doing. But I guess they rather make you pay for oil changes instead.

I'd be happy knowing just these things. Anything more than that I would rather take it to a mechanic.

You wont learn any of the above in the maintenance course. I took one last year at Centennial College hoping to learn much of what you have indicated above. Absolutely useless.

Snow City Cycle and Marine (or is is Marine and Cycle) on Kennedy Rd. just north of Lawrence had some FREE seminars in May of this year. One of them was on oil/filter change and some other maintenence stuff. I learnt more in that 1 1/2hr than I did in 5 3-hr sessions at the college course. Check their website or call them to find out when will they be offering these seminars again.

Pay me $50 and I'll show you

All these things can be easily learned off the internet. Of course, it would be nice to have someone there to show you the ropes first time around. There are plenty of people who can show you how to do this on this board, no need to pay $50. Send me a pm if you're really interested and I can walk you through it the next time I changing my oil (Not till end of summer).

Back
Top Bottom