Great Summer Reads | GTAMotorcycle.com

Great Summer Reads

Banger

Site Supporter
I seem to have a lot of time on my hands and I love sitting outside with a good book.
I would love to hear some of your reviews and suggestions for good books. I am reading "The Passage" right now. Excellent read. I just started but so far I am captivated.

No book genres are really off limits for me.

So far this summer I read the entire Hunger Games Trilogy for an easy read time kill. - Loved em
Divergent - Similar to the Hunger Games - Loved it
Fifty Shades of Grey - HATED it
Life of Pi - EXCELLENT
Sarah's Key - Amazing

Make some suggestions please.

bounce.jpg

Stephen Frey books are pretty good, Wall Street story lines.

\Have read a number of Steve Berry Books, somewhat similar to Dan Brown Novels. What I do like is he attempts to link correct Geography and History into the stories. At the end of the novel, he includes a section seperating facts from what has had some artistic license given.

Standalone Novels
Cotton Malone Novels

1. The Templar Legacy, Ballantine Books, 2006. ISBN 0-345-47615-8
  2. The Alexandria Link, Ballantine Books, 2007. ISBN 0-345-48575-0
  3. The Venetian Betrayal, Ballantine Books, 2007. ISBN 0-345-48577-7
  4. The Charlemagne Pursuit, Ballantine Books, 2008. ISBN 0-345-48579-3
  5. The Paris Vendetta, Ballantine Books, 2009. ISBN 0-345-50547-6
  6. The Emperor's Tomb, Ballantine Books, 2010. ISBN 0-345-50549-2
  7. The Jefferson Key, Ballantine Books, 2011. ISBN 0-345-50551-4

Last edited:
Personal Favourite: The Power of One, Bryce Courtenay

Stephen Fry books are pretty good, Wall Street story lines.

\Have read a number of Steve Berry Books, somewhat similar to Dan Brown Novels. What I dod like is he attempts to link correct Geography and History into the stories. At the end of the novel, he includes a section seperating facts from what has had some artistic license given.

Standalone Novels
Cotton Malone Novels

1. The Templar Legacy, Ballantine Books, 2006. ISBN 0-345-47615-8
  2. The Alexandria Link, Ballantine Books, 2007. ISBN 0-345-48575-0
  3. The Venetian Betrayal, Ballantine Books, 2007. ISBN 0-345-48577-7
  4. The Charlemagne Pursuit, Ballantine Books, 2008. ISBN 0-345-48579-3
  5. The Paris Vendetta, Ballantine Books, 2009. ISBN 0-345-50547-6
  6. The Emperor's Tomb, Ballantine Books, 2010. ISBN 0-345-50549-2
  7. The Jefferson Key, Ballantine Books, 2011. ISBN 0-345-50551-4

I love Dan Brown Books. I forgot to add that I am also reading Angels and Demons right now for the 2nd time. I love the book. I did not like the Lost Symbol as much as the other Robert Langdon series novels but still couldn't put it down. I will have to check out this author. Going to Chapters this afternoon.

Dean Koontz is a good author.

Watchers, Fear nothing, and From the corner of his eye were excellent reads!

I have read a few books!

Game of Thrones - The first 5 of 7 books are published. They are quite long, it took me about 6 months to get through 5 books. Average is about 800 pages.
Hunger Games trilogy. Really liked how they were written (1st person present tense). Hammered through them pretty quickly.
Michael Crichton books I generally like. Airframe, State of Fear, Timeline, Next, Great Train Robbery, Pirate Latitudes and Prey are among my favourites. I was disappointed with Micro.
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and now I have just started The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. They seem to start very slowly but they're very difficult to put down after that.

Ken Follet has some really great novels too. Pillars of the Earth, World Without End (read in that order) and Fall Of Giants are really good.

I have read a few books!

Game of Thrones - The first 5 of 7 books are published. They are quite long, it took me about 6 months to get through 5 books. Average is about 800 pages.
Hunger Games trilogy. Really liked how they were written (1st person present tense). Hammered through them pretty quickly.
Michael Crichton books I generally like. Airframe, State of Fear, Timeline, Next, Great Train Robbery, Pirate Latitudes and Prey are among my favourites. I was disappointed with Micro.
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and now I have just started The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. They seem to start very slowly but they're very difficult to put down after that.

Ken Follet has some really great novels too. Pillars of the Earth, World Without End (read in that order) and Fall Of Giants are really good.

Agreed. The two suggested by Follett will take you to a time you could never imagine. And after you've read the books you could look up the HBO series of the same name.

Also, if you like detective stories, try Michael Connelly. He wrote The Lincoln Lawyer but his better known character is Harry Bosch.

And, for pure fantasy, try the Stephen King Dark Tower series. http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/book/

Personal Favourite: The Power of One, Bryce Courtenay

i second that...actually, anything by him is great...

also try ann rule for true crime, greg isles for thriller, john grisham, anne rice, and a whole more i can't think of right now...

Agreed. The two suggested by Follett will take you to a time you could never imagine. And after you've read the books you could look up the HBO series of the same name.

Also, if you like detective stories, try Michael Connelly. He wrote The Lincoln Lawyer but his better known character is Harry Bosch.

And, for pure fantasy, try the Stephen King Dark Tower series. http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/book/

There's an HBO series!? I had no idea.

+1 for Michael Connelly. I have probably read a dozen or so of his books, The Brass Verdict is probably my favourite.

LOVED Girl with A Dragon Tattoo but didn't read the rest for some reason.....

Anyone who wants good bathroom reading - put anything by Max Brooks in there. Love his zombie stuff!

I hadnt read leisurely for years, then last summer i took on game of thrones

Read all books within 3-4 months, i couldnt stop. No too much fantasy for that type of book which i like.

If you liked Hunger Games, read Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. It is the original and 1000x better. Very mature and deep character development (pretty much developed like two dozen of the students in the book). My all-time favorite book by far.

Also an interesting short novel to read is “Rich Dad Poor Dad”

And of course, if you like paradoxes and philosophy, you MUST read “God’s Debris” by Scott Adams (Dilbert author).

If you liked Hunger Games, read Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. It is the original and 1000x better. Very mature and deep character development (pretty much developed like two dozen of the students in the book). My all-time favorite book by far.

Also an interesting short novel to read is “Rich Dad Poor Dad”

And of course, if you like paradoxes and philosophy, you MUST read “God’s Debris” by Scott Adams (Dilbert author).
I read Battle Royale then I saw the movie. Movie is messed up. Book was great.
Divergent by Veronica Roth is very good as well for this genre. Not quite as Adult but fun read nonetheless.

The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series is my all time favourite. Douglas adams also wrote a book called "last chance to see" which is very interesting and comes with his usual perspective that is laugh out loud funny.

"Theif of Time" by terry pratchett is very much in the same vein and was fantastic, plan on reading more of his disc world books.

"American Gods" by neil gaiman was really good. Supposedly he has another really good book but i forget the title.

"The fountainhead" By ayn rand is a classic that is more of an introspective into relationships and why we cling to certain things, attached to a fantastic story and an interesting ideal.

I'm not much of a reader but those books are ones that i really fell in love with. If you're near hamilton you can borrow any of them.

Thanks for that. I'm going to probably go pick that up tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom