Opinions on beginner bike choice? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Opinions on beginner bike choice?

ZERO_5

To make a long story short after a couple years of riding, I bought a 2011 GSXR 600. I'm contemplating getting off the street all together and I think I may only do track. The only way to find that out is to go try it out. My question is though, would it be better to sell the 6 and buy a 250 to get some track experience or is it not worth the hassle and I should just run what I have? Sell the newer bike to buy an older already track prepped 6 or am I better of starting with a fresh bike? Thoughts and opinions would be great.

That is, a sensible question. You obviously want to become a better rider.

I have been riding litre, 600 bikes on the street for a while and for the most part, have and continue to enjoy them.

Last year, I had decided it was time to improve skills preferably off the street. I watched and asked many track riders their opinion on how best to begin. The majority were in favor of smaller is better to learn proper technique and becomming somewhat fast.

I had decided on an SV650 as a platform given the running costs, size of local Ontario tracks and availability of parts. I wasn't wrong. In the year and a half of having done about a dozen track days, my track riding abilities have improved so much so that I can run with the 600's and at times even overtake litre bikes, given the size of the track of course.

But this wasn't the point, my goal was to focus on body position, braking, corner entry,follow through and lowering lap times all while understanding the right lines on various tracks. While I may be nowhere near many skilled track riders, I have improved vastly on the mechanics on getting the job done on any track.

The way I see it, the learning curve would have taken much longer. It would have taken much more time, time I really don't want to waste as I am 55.

Now, I am at the point where I would entertain a 600 for dedicated track use but still enjoy the little SV.

To sum up, I found this to be the case with a smaller displacement bike. As you become more comfortable, track time slows down allowing you to impliment various techniques that you may have read, seen and or visualized in your head. It works.

I don't know much about a 250 but would think it is also a good platform to begin. Whatever you decide to do or get, good luck in your venture.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess my first priority should be getting some track time in.

Before deciding what bike to buy and change things you already have a whole lot, why not try the track first? See if you like it (which you WILL), and build some basic skill and etiquette for riding on the track. As you develop you would really enjoy your GSXR on the track (where it's really meant to be riden). There are plenty of track into programs out there, one that comes to mind: http://www.racer5.ca/

Whatever decision you make: sell the street bike and buy a track/race prepped bike with tons of spares. It will be MUCH cheaper and you'll save enough money to buy the extra track goodies (generator, tire warmers, TIRES etc...) to make the experience more enjoyable.

Although self-building was fun for a first-time experience since I did everything myself (no engine work) but I'll never do it again :p (would have saved approx $2-3K)

To make a long story short after a couple years of riding, I bought a 2011 GSXR 600. I'm contemplating getting off the street all together and I think I may only do track. The only way to find that out is to go try it out. My question is though, would it be better to sell the 6 and buy a 250 to get some track experience or is it not worth the hassle and I should just run what I have? Sell the newer bike to buy an older already track prepped 6 or am I better of starting with a fresh bike? Thoughts and opinions would be great.

Your gsxr has big piston fork slipper clutch just tape it up and go if u like it. Than it a guestion of cash

That's what I did last season. I've always enjoyed street, but was thinking I'm becoming too reckless on constant basis. So I went for a track day. The very next morning I called my insurance company and cancelled my insurance. Haven't regretted it ever since! As for getting a 250, I don't know, I'm certainly not an expert to give advice, but I my guess is that you'll be disappointed if you switch. They say you'll learn better on the 250, which is most probably true, but I wouldn't trade my 1000 for even a 600, when you downgrade your power you'll feel deprived.

Couple of things to consider

Track is great but for some of us, riding is a lot more than just going fast. So do not sell your street bike until you are sure than you are done with the street.
I have a street bike and a race bike but I started by taking my street bike to the track, however a couple of things to consider:
1- if you crash you are **** out of luck
2- You will not fully enjoy your track day as you will be very concern about point #1

Track is also not for everyone, so take advantage of a track school with Bike rental, I believe they also rent the bikes without having to take their school, not sure about this last point

This way oyu can test the waters and not have to sacrifice your street bike.

Then once you have tried it out, you can make a more informed decision on what to do.

If oyu are going track only, then sell your street bike and get a track prep bike

This is not advice, this is just my opinion

If you can afford to, buy a cheap track bike to start and keep your street bike. If you decide to ride track only your street bike still has all the value and can be sold later on. I had both for two years, sold the street bike last week before I lost my liscence.

Couple of things to consider

Track is great but for some of us, riding is a lot more than just going fast. So do not sell your street bike until you are sure than you are done with the street.
I have a street bike and a race bike but I started by taking my street bike to the track, however a couple of things to consider:
1- if you crash you are **** out of luck
2- You will not fully enjoy your track day as you will be very concern about point #1

Track is also not for everyone, so take advantage of a track school with Bike rental, I believe they also rent the bikes without having to take their school, not sure about this last point

This way oyu can test the waters and not have to sacrifice your street bike.

Then once you have tried it out, you can make a more informed decision on what to do.

If oyu are going track only, then sell your street bike and get a track prep bike

This is not advice, this is just my opinion

+1. I agree

I agree with what has already been said. There is no right/wrong, just preference. Few years ago I bought a prepped 02 GSXR600, and am now building a 2010 GSXR750 I hope to race in AM Superbike in the future. Even an old(er) SS will get you to the front of expert category with enough skill development, so don't worry about the age of the bike at this point in your rider development.

That said, swapping down to a 250 may only be a short-term decision and you could end up looking for another bike within a year or two. So, selling your 2011, buying/selling a 250, then buying another sounds to me like a lot of stick hockey. Taking advantage of the track schools that offer the smaller displacement bikes could be all you need (BTW, FAST also offers 250's.)

All parts wear out, so there could also be a few unexpected costs with replacing parts, etc., that is only a result of when in their lifespan you happened to come into ownership of the bike. Also consider that with any purchase you should get the suspension refreshed and set-up properly, possibly also a valve clearance check if the seller does not know when it was done last. So these things should be considered on top of whatever you end up paying for a dedicated track bike.

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but your development as a rider may actually be fastest on your current bike. You already know it (and its maintenance history), and those gixxers can even be raced pretty much stock. You won't need to upgrade anything until it wears out first, then you can decide if you want to stay with stock or go for more specialized parts. At the very least I'd suggest getting a set of track bodywork and case covers to start out. Change the rest as you feel you need to (e.g., clip-ons, 520 chain conversion, rearsets)

So as long as you are not trying to make a podium contender, keeping your current ride may be somewhat more expensive but it could also give you less headaches. Just something to consider...

Good luck with whatever you choose!
John.

Back
Top Bottom