cbr 125 trip! | GTAMotorcycle.com

cbr 125 trip!

Brian P

Site Supporter
Pics from this past weekend. Ride started out Friday afternoon, and we just got home last night (Sunday).

Meet-up in Owen Sound ...

2012cbr125campingtrip001.jpg

End of day one ... Harmony Acres campground just south of Tobermory.

2012cbr125campingtrip004.jpg

Bright and early trip to the ferry dock

2012cbr125campingtrip005.jpg

On board the Chi-Cheemaun

2012cbr125campingtrip008.jpg

Scenic lookout from Hwy 6 on Manitoulin Island

2012cbr125campingtrip009.jpg

I didn't get pictures of the next part. We went on a back-road west out of Espanola but I think it was a wrong turn ... it was bumpy. Back to the Trans Canada then north on 108 to Elliot Lake to meet JohnR, who took us further north on 108 which turns into 639, a very fun road. Left on 546, another great road ... but it started raining. Right for a short hop on 554 which ends here ...

2012cbr125campingtrip010.jpg

To Chapleau for gas and a meal, then back to Wakami Lake Provincial Park via a long, bumpy gravel road.

2012cbr125campingtrip013.jpg

But this was the reward ... a clear, quiet lake straight out the back of the campsite, and it's far enough out of the way that there was hardly anyone else there. The post-ride swim was great.

2012cbr125campingtrip015.jpg

It rained overnight - stopped just long enough to get packed up.

2012cbr125campingtrip017.jpg

Wilderness with a road carved through it. Beautiful.

2012cbr125campingtrip018.jpg

There is ONE gas station and restaurant along that stretch of road.

2012cbr125campingtrip019.jpg

Espanola to Manitoulin Island is another scenic route.

2012cbr125campingtrip021.jpg

These photos are obviously faked.

No one can tour with less than 1300cc and a shaft drive

(great pics by the way, it sounds like a fun trip)

By this point people had started going their separate ways, leaving three of us.

2012cbr125campingtrip024.jpg

Waiting for the return ferry, we talked to the couple from Ohio on the Victory cruiser, who were on their honeymoon and were on the road for a couple of weeks.

2012cbr125campingtrip025.jpg

... and here's the ferry.

2012cbr125campingtrip028.jpg

Got home from Wakami Lake in one day, about 800 km (plus the ferry trip). 1600 km total ride distance over basically two and a half days.

For all the people that say a CBR125 is not a good bike for long drives and highways... would you disagree?

I was considering a 125cc but was apprehensive after being told it can't handle highways speeds and long distance, would love to hear your opinion.

Among 5 cbr125's on this trip, the only issue with ANY of them was that one of the riders tried to do the 129 gas station to Wakami and back without going into Chapleau for a fill-up. He almost made it ...

(wasn't me)

Looks like a great trip guys! Congrats on the safe and successful travels!

So what I get from this...my CBR250 will be OK for touring!? Sweet! Here I was worried I need a big beast to leave the GTA!

looks fun man! great trip!

Are those knobbies on that white 125? Details please..thanks

EDIT: Found the details on youtube.

Last edited:
That is Ride_Safe's bike ... and for the gravel sections, he was untouchable. The entrance road to Wakami Lake, and about 10 km of hwy 129, were gravel.

Dammit, I keep forgetting about this 125 ride EVERY year!

For all the people that say a CBR125 is not a good bike for long drives and highways... would you disagree?

I was considering a 125cc but was apprehensive after being told it can't handle highways speeds and long distance, would love to hear your opinion.

The 125 will do highways (not that comfortably) and you have to plan your overtakes way ahead of time. It will top out at 120km/h on average...although I have gotten it up to its max speed at 155km/h indicated when revs ran out.

Long distance....depends where you ride...the bike is happy between 80-100km/h.

How was that gravel section on 129? When I went through it in the truck it looked like it would be no fun on a bike.

It was manageable but obviously required taking it easy. The thing that sucked was that the gravel piece would otherwise have been the best and twistiest part of that road.

It seemed to very deep and loose when I went that way.

What was your total mileage / fuel consumption like? I probably burnt more fuel going to Dover and back then you did your entire trip haha.

I guess I should post my pictures as well...

Harmony Acres Campground, just before Tobermory
yce46.jpg

Waiting for the ferry
20zbf9t.jpg

Some indian reserve that rips you off for gas on Manitoulin Island
iehx68.jpg

In Elliot Lake
ad2mmv.jpg

Aubrey Falls Trading Post (only gas station between Chapleau and Thessalon). I ran out of gas before I made it back here from the campsite.
1088qv5.jpg

Wakami Lake Provincial Park Campground
2meptmx.jpg

Riding down 129
fawkeu.jpg

Back at the Trading Post, on the way back.
2moo6yp.jpg

Just past Little Current, before Espanola
16gh43r.jpg

The restaurant we ate at, while waiting for the ferry.
15g4hl4.jpg

Parked in line, awaiting our boat ride.
hvwdmx.jpg

Finally home!
308uwjn.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a great trip. Definitely wouldn't want to take a 125 touring, but good for you for doing it. Guess it's a good thing there's no chance of getting a speeding ticket on one.

... just to give people an idea of how far we actually went on our 125s, here's a map:

16863nq.jpg

Back
Top Bottom