Alternative to Dupont Teflon Multi Use Lube?? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alternative to Dupont Teflon Multi Use Lube??

Plot thickens... I ripped off the Canadian label as DaveTheCanuck suggested. Underneath it looks to me like the current 2012 US design. No mention of the word "wax" anywhere! This isn't conclusive since there are many possible reasons for this but it does raise an eyebrow. Maybe I'll email DuPont again and pretend to be doing a review to see if they respond faster ;)

dupontmultiusecanadabeh.jpg

It's hard to see in this pic but I noticed that it's still recommended for use on chains.

Oh and I used some of the 'multi-use dry, wax' squeeze bottle on my chain for the first time. Goes on really runny so I had to lay some cardboard underneath. It dried waxy though.

Plot thickens... I ripped off the Canadian label as DaveTheCanuck suggested. Underneath it looks to me like the current 2012 US design. No mention of the word "wax" anywhere! This isn't conclusive since there are many possible reasons for this but it does raise an eyebrow. Maybe I'll email DuPont again and pretend to be doing a review to see if they respond faster ;)

It's hard to see in this pic but I noticed that it's still recommended for use on chains.

Oh and I used some of the 'multi-use dry, wax' squeeze bottle on my chain for the first time. Goes on really runny so I had to lay some cardboard underneath. It dried waxy though.
Thanks for the investigation. If I had to guess, they had a bunch of extra bilingual labels kicking around, and the new formula USA can didn't have a bilingual label on it so they stuck the old label over it!!! Yikes!

When I e-mailed Dupont and asked why the new formula can still said "chains", they called me back (they REFUSED to answer by e-mail!) and their reply was "bicycle chains, etc.", it was specifically NOT recommended for motorcycle chains anymore, and to use the $3 more expensive per can "Chain Saver" product. I didn't believe them when they gave me that answer.

Wurth HHS-2000 FTW :)

Wurth_HHS2000.jpg

-Jamie M.

I don't get it...
Why don't you guys just go to a motorcycle store and buy chain lube?

I don't get it...
Cause it's messy, over priced, attracts dirt, etc ;)

-Jamie M.

Cause it's messy, over priced, attracts dirt, etc ;)

-Jamie M.

You need to clean your chain regardless of what lube you use.
Seems silly to me that you guys are looking for alternatives when you have a huge variety of moto related lubricants.
I use Maxima chain wax and there is no fling, doesn't trap dirt and keeps my gold chain blinging... ;)

You need to clean your chain regardless of what lube you use.
I've never cleaned any chain I've ever owned, ever, on any type of vehicle. I got 42,000km's out of my stock 08 R6 chain, through some serious abuse, and it didn't need to be replaced even, just wanted to change the gearing/go to 520.

-Jamie M.

Hm. Might want to email webBikeWorld too, they might find this very interesting.

They will probably be able to get more of a reply from Dupont too.

Hm. Might want to email webBikeWorld too, they might find this very interesting.

They will probably be able to get more of a reply from Dupont too.

Dave, you're like a good idea well. Maybe I will do that ;)

I don't get it...

It's just that DuPont's old formula was a favourite for a lot of people so there's some interest in finding a comparable alternative. Personally, I'm just in it for the mystery. I'm a first time DuPont user :D

Last edited:
I still haven't heard back from DuPont and at this point I'm not expecting to. But I did shoot a note over to WebBikeWorld and got the following response:

Interesting, I'm not sure what's up. The Finish Line/DuPont folks have been pretty quiet about why they had to make the formula changes, I get the feeling it was something to do with a patent or other issue. Perhaps it's possible that the formula is different in different countries, depending upon the patent protection.

Not a big deal though, as there are several other good lubes out there and we have some new favorites. Bottom line with lube is that keeping the chain clean is more important. Modern chains really don't need much lube and just about anything works.

I'll add your comments anonymously to the most recent article and we'll see if anyone knows anything different.

Thanks,
Rick.

Doesn't really help with the mystery but I found the 2nd paragraph somewhat interesting. He says to do the exact opposite of what many around here have suggested (lube more clean less).

I'm sure it's a distribution rights issue.
Wurth's own Teflon Dry Lube can't be sold here, unfortunately.

I used to be a CPR Instructor. Helping bringing it back to life. Singing, "Staying alive.

Never used it. Usually, when testing a a spray, I rub it between my thumb and finger. Gives me an idea as to what sort of reside it leaves. Sticky or smooth and the smell.

The reviews are pretty good, gives you a general idea.

Looks like Lowe's sells the Dupont Multi Use again.
Hamilton store shows 4 in stock.

Looks like Lowe's sells the Dupont Multi Use again.
Hamilton store shows 4 in stock.
It never went away. It's just totally different now. Multi-Use is no longer recommended for motorcycle chains. Chain Saver is recommended instead but it's still not the same.

More details here:

Back
Top Bottom