Alternative to Dupont Teflon Multi Use Lube?? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alternative to Dupont Teflon Multi Use Lube??

You guys are nuts, I use the DuPont multi-use and only apply it every 500-700km aside from wet conditions.
Just so you know, Dupont changed the formula and it's no longer recommended (by Dupont themselves, as well as a bunch of other places) for motorcycle chains :( If your bottle doesn't say "dry, wax" on it, you have the new/wrong stuff :(

dupontmultiuse14ozctrg.jpg

-Jamie M.

Where do you find that stuff?? Someone let me in on the secret!!

And screw you DuPont for changing the "Multi Use" formula. It sucks just as bad as "chain saver" now! lol.

-Jamie M.

Picked up a can of Chainsaver after I ran out of Multi Use, it's actually worse than I remember it. I gave my chain a thorough cleaning and applied the Chainsaver. Looked at it today, and it's grungy after only 400km of dry riding. Will definitely look into something else once this runs out.

I used white lithium, easy to get from Wal Mart, cheap and it doesn't fling off. It's an alternative if you can't find the Dupont.

Picked up a can of Chainsaver after I ran out of Multi Use, it's actually worse than I remember it. I gave my chain a thorough cleaning and applied the Chainsaver. Looked at it today, and it's grungy after only 400km of dry riding. Will definitely look into something else once this runs out.
Wurth HHS2000, available from Heritage Auto. It's as good as, if not better than, the old Dupont Multi Use Dry Wax stuff :)

I agree, the chain saver sucks too, about as crappy as the "new" multi-use :(

-Jamie M.

I use the Bel-Ray super clean. You can pick it up at any motorcycle shop. It does go on white (some people don,t like this). I actually prefer it, you can easily see where and how much has been applied. I lube my chain approx. every 800 km. I find the chain stays clean and the lube would last even longer if I wanted to go further. It doesn't fling off easily either. It is a little thicker than most lubes though , and thus takes longer to get off when cleaning the chain.

Here's what I bought from the Lowes in Vaughan yesterday:

chainlubes.jpg

It seems they have the old formula in little squeeze bottles only. I was going to pick up a few of those along with a can of chain-saver and walk out but then I took a look at the back of the multi-use can and noticed this...

dupontmultilube.jpg

So it is wax based whereas the new formulation shouldn't contain any wax. I've never used the original so I have no basis for comparison but, I have a hunch that the can pictured above is the old formula with a different label for our demographic.

Now, if the 2012 chain-saver truly is the same as the old multi-use (except for some extra moly & teflon) then the above lot should last me a lil while :D

chainlubes.jpg
The middle can is the new/not recommended stuff. Dupont specifically said the new formula doesn't contain wax! lol. Very strange it's still listed on the can!

-Jamie M.

The middle can is the new/not recommended stuff. Dupont specifically said the new formula doesn't contain wax! lol. Very strange it's still listed on the can!

Yea, that's what makes me think it's really the old formula. While the can pictured doesn't say "dry, wax" it also doesn't look exactly the same as the "new" cans either. Instead, it just has the french equivalent for "multi-use". I've seen one other can variation online that also claims to contain wax:

dupontteflonmultiusespe.jpg

This leads me to believe that the old formula had multiple can designs. I've been trying to find a photo of the rear label on the new can for comparison but I haven't been able to find one. Maybe someone here can post it up? Here's the description on the back of my can:

"DuPont Multi-Use is a patented, water repelling, wax based lubricant. Enhanced with Teflon fluoropolymer and organic molybdenum for optimum performance. Sets up with a clean, dry, long-lasting film which will not absorb dirt and grime.

USE ON : Chains, Cables, Garage Doors, Threaded Parts, Hinges, Windows, Locks, Rusted Bolts, Sliding Tracks, Wheels, Cams Pulleys, Zippers, Skate Bearings, Bike Parts, Firearms, Tools & more."

I also compared the contents of the 3 I bought and they all look very similar. The squeeze bottle comes out more runny at first so you don't see as much white in it due to more even distribution:

dupontlubetest.jpg

Last edited:
I use the Chain saver after they quit making the older formulation. I would say that wax based may not be the deciding factor on whether it's good for o-ring chains, they may have changed the formulation somewhat, the wax just makes it "dry".

That's a good point but that would imply that there's a third formula floating around out there under the name "Teflong Multi-Use". Maybe I'll contact Dupont to put the mystery to rest.

That's a good point but that would imply that there's a third formula floating around out there under the name "Teflong Multi-Use". Maybe I'll contact Dupont to put the mystery to rest.

Kudos to you for posting the different bottles and trying to get to the bottom of this. I would definitely be interested to read about what your conversation with Dupont reveals. Thanks!! It is certainly strange if they are telling consumer's that it doesn't have wax and yet on the bottle it clearly states that it is a wax based lubricant.

It seems they have the old formula in little squeeze bottles only. I was going to pick up a few of those along with a can of chain-saver and walk out but then I took a look at the back of the multi-use can and noticed this...

dupontmultilube.jpg

So it is wax based whereas the new formulation shouldn't contain any wax. I've never used the original so I have no basis for comparison but, I have a hunch that the can pictured above is the old formula with a different label for our demographic.

Try peeling off the top label.

I have a can of the new Chain Saver and noticed the Canadian label is just placed over top the US English/Spanish label. See if the US label also lists wax in the contents.

Could be a typo or it could be the old formula is still being sold in Canada.

Regarding Wurth HHS2000, the manufacturer states it's sticky? Doesn't it collect dirt?

webbikeworld which recommended the dupont stuff now recommends Liquid Performance Chain Lube, the Original Bike Spirits and Klotz KLR.

Regarding Wurth HHS2000, the manufacturer states it's sticky? Doesn't it collect dirt?

webbikeworld which recommended the dupont stuff now recommends Liquid Performance Chain Lube, the Original Bike Spirits and Klotz KLR.

I use Wurth on my VFR, and it is quite sticky. I have not noticed my chain getting dirty at all, and I NEVER clean it!

Kudos to you for posting the different bottles and trying to get to the bottom of this. I would definitely be interested to read about what your conversation with Dupont reveals. Thanks!! It is certainly strange if they are telling consumer's that it doesn't have wax and yet on the bottle it clearly states that it is a wax based lubricant.

Thanks Angel. I'm still waiting on a reply from DuPont and will post it here if/when I hear back.

Try peeling off the top label.

I have a can of the new Chain Saver and noticed the Canadian label is just placed over top the US English/Spanish label. See if the US label also lists wax in the contents.

Could be a typo or it could be the old formula is still being sold in Canada.

Good idea Dave. I did notice that the squeeze bottle had two labels stuck to the back but thought nothing of it. I'll check the cans tomorrow.

I use Wurth on my VFR, and it is quite sticky. I have not noticed my chain getting dirty at all, and I NEVER clean it!
+1. I never clean my chain, and it looks pretty when using the Wurth stuff. I think because when you apply it, it seems to wash the chain right off.

-Jamie M.

chainlubes.jpg

dupontmultilube.jpg

Now, if the 2012 chain-saver truly is the same as the old multi-use (except for some extra moly & teflon) then the above lot should last me a lil while :D

I also read the label of the "new" stuff and was confused. Since then I've tried it on my chain and it seems okay. I've also used the contents of the small bottle as well, just dripping it onto my chain.

My opinion, at the time, was that DuPont had removed chains as a recommendation from the label as they had launched their own chain specific lube (yellow can) and simply wanted to sell that above anything else.

The thing I find with these dry lube is the rollers do not get lubricated properly. After a long ride u can see the rollers become polished against the sprockets. I presently use them now, but if this can is done & they don't make 'em anymore, I'll just go back to Wax based chain lube.

Back
Top Bottom