Tire pressure warning systems | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire pressure warning systems

MacDoc

Site Supporter
The Burgman is an absolute pain to get at with the smaller wheels to check airpressure. Some riders have used the warning caps and others this real time reporting system.

41NVUrbnrlL._SS500_.jpg

* Wireless technology allows the Sensor and Monitor to connect automatically.
* Real-time highly accurate sensor and monitor with powerful Graphical User Interface.
* Fully adjustable pressure and temperature warning range
* Both Sensor and Monitor are battery powered with a low battery indicator
* These new enhanced TPMS now include a soft silicon monitor skin for added protection.

Given the cost of tires and a change - seems money well spent if it works well and I notice some of the luxury rides come with them.

These are much cheaper
accupressure_300.jpg

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/accu-pressure-safety-caps-one-cap/part/ASE-X

Reading around the web seems to indicate some leakage problem with the AccuPressure caps.

Any feed back??

Last edited:
i've got a digital TPMS mounted (on the rims). it's been 6 years now and still going strong.
very accurate and love the instant monitoring as i'm riding.
it was pricey but great peace of mind.

the system actually identified a tire leak (nail in tire) WHILE i was riding.

the caps are useless while you're riding.

Yeah - think you are correct - gonna grab that motorcycle dedicated system.
Can use in Australia as well.

Thanks for real world report.

Tried those safety caps (or maybe something very very similar, I don't remember the brand name I used) on cars. Huge pieces of crap, never properly indicated pressure and 7 out of 8 blew apart. I won't put them anywhere near any vehicle I own again.

I tried the valve-cap type motorcycle TPMS kit at Princess Auto and ended up returning it the next day. It was slow to pick up the sensors (up to 10 minutes) but they also leaked like crazy. After 4 hours of screwing around with them trying to find a torque where they wouldn't leak, and watching my pressures continually drop I figured I'd never be able to trust them. And now I'm reluctant to consider the valve-cap types again.

The other major option is the valve-stem type, which is mounted internally and replaces the entire valve stem. You need to unmount & remount the tire to install these, but this is what almost all of the new TPMS-equipped cars have. All new cars sold in the US now have TPMS, so they seem pretty reliable. Google "orange motorcycle TPMS" to see an aftermarket kit for motorcycles.

I've been considering trying one of the valve-stem kits, but they seem to be motion activated, so they only send a signal once you are in motion in order to conserve the sensor's battery. And it can take a couple of minutes for the signal to register. I don't really care about the constant pressure monitoring while I'm riding, I just want to hit a button before I ride and get an instantaneous pressure reading.

The Burgman is an absolute pain to get at with the smaller wheels to check airpressure. Some riders have used the warning caps and others this real time reporting system.

Not another accessory! I feel enough like an ISS astronaut as it is. Checking pressure with stock valves is a pain though. I'll be switching to angled steel stems (45 deg) once I change the tires this week. My mechanic gave me six after a cleanup, so I can send you some if they pan out.

my system gives a reading after a few metres of tire roll above 10kmph.
pretty instantaneous.

the good thing about ongoing monitoring is that you will get a warning if the tire pressure begins to drop below an unsafe level.

I have built in TPS which is nice, can check anytime I am riding. Not sure if its a feature I would pay extra for if it was an option, but certainly nice to have and convenient.

very well ....4 years and several bikes later.
Easy to replace the batteries in the sender units and all works as when it was new.

Last fall I got the tire pressure senders for my Garmin Zumo 590. They work quite well although you pretty much have to learn to not overthink the pressure changes most of the time as the pressures change with outside temperature, speed and load quite a bit. It gives pressure to the tenth of a PSI. You can set what should be the "normal" Pressure as well as the pressure that gives a low pressure warning. The senders just replace your normal valve caps but require metal valve stems. The Zumo also records your tire pressures and can show a graph of the changes. (Great for any nerdish tendencies you might have.)

(While the Zumo is expensive, it's pretty cool that you can be riding home in the rain, check your tire pressures, look at the latest radar display to see where the rain gets more severe or ends and check the temperature that will be along the route, get traffic warnings and notifications of delays along your route, check traffic cameras and all the while be listening to Music. (And yes talk on the phone if so inclined.)

..Tom

Back
Top Bottom