Highbeams? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Highbeams?

Do you remember what section it was in? I don't see anything in the chapter on "visibility" that refers to it. At any rate there are some places I disagree with the handbook, particularly on lane position.

I have to double check. I was tired while reading, and may be mistaken. A quick look only found where it says to drive with high beams on at night except when following or approaching another vehicle. I will check again later.

I dont know about others but i notice when i ride with my high beams on, im much more visible to cars , specially at night.

When i run a single light, ive had more instances of cars cutting me off in my own lane since they didnt notice me but that annoying (and yes not so friendly) high beam at least gets you noticed.

Agree to disagree but i think a few seconds of annoyance for someone is a good trade off for someone not noticing me at all.

Also, when i ride in single lane roads (city of country) or if im behind the same car for a while like a long stretch of the highway thats not crowded with cars, , i turn my high beam off

I'll chip into this thread as well.

I've been riding 2 weeks with high beam ON, and now just finished 2 weeks with high beam OFF.

I noticed that with high beams ON, much less cars cut me off or pull out in front of me (from a turn).
I maintained a high beam ON for entire riding for 1st week, and on 2nd week, I tried it on but turn it off occasionally when I have cars in front of me.
3rd and 4th week were with high beam OFF, and I counted 6 "close" calls where cars would pull up for a left turn in front of me.

I think having a high beam on during the high sun is not a big problem, but as sun goes down, it is important to make sure you don't blind others.

unrelated note: While riding north on Yonge, I was almost taken out by this woman in her black Honda SUV.... a car was making left turn ahead (entire car in my lane and finishing up the turn, waiting for pedestrian) and I was making a slight brake, and this woman decided it was a smart idea to drive past me less than a meter away from my handlebar, almost ramming the car that was making the left-turn. When I confronted the woman that what she did was dangerous, she got enraged, gave me the finger, "get the f*** off the road if you can't ride".... if I didn't mirror check as I braked and swerve to the right a little, I think I'd be in pain, with broken bike.

moral of the story; you gotta pay attention to what's behind you as well.

My first impulse when confronted by these "dimbulbs", is to give as well as receive, that is let them pass and then tail them with the highbeams on, or let them have it as they approach me from the front. Unfortunately, their driving skills would be inadequate, and I'd feel some remorse for their death.

My reaction tends to be to stay as far away from them as possible, they are a disaster waiting to happen, and I don't want to be dragged into it. Unfortunately, this tends to boost their perception of safety and encourage them, as everyone is giving these ignoramuses a wide berth.

Like I said above, best bet is to inform the authorities, and let them explain their high beam usage to them. Hopefully, they don't learn, and have their licenses removed quickly before they cause issues for others.

If you're having an issue where you feel the need to drive with your highbeams on, then you need to sit down, reassess, and change your driving style.

Last edited:
My first impulse when confronted by these "dimbulbs", is to give as well as receive, that is let them pass and then tail them with the highbeams on, or let them have it as they approach me from the front. Unfortunately, their driving skills would be inadequate, and I'd feel some remorse for their death.

My reaction tends to be to stay as far away from them as possible, they are a disaster waiting to happen, and I don't want to be dragged into it. Unfortunately, this tends to boost their perception of safety and encourage them, as everyone is giving these ignoramuses a wide berth.

Like I said above, best bet is to inform the authorities, and let them explain their high beam usage to them. Hopefully, they don't learn, and have their licenses removed quickly before they cause issues for others.

If you're having an issue where you feel the need to drive with your highbeams on, then you need to sit down, reassess, and change your driving style.

Wow quite the opinion .You can tell someones skill from their use of high beams . That`s quite the talent . I`m glad you would stay away from me . Then like the way you want to run to the police .Your must be quite the guy in your neighborhood . I re-assessed your post and I`m glad I don`t ride with you .

Wow quite the opinion .You can tell someones skill from their use of high beams . That`s quite the talent . I`m glad you would stay away from me . Then like the way you want to run to the police .Your must be quite the guy in your neighborhood . I re-assessed your post and I`m glad I don`t ride with you .

I had a guy like this as my neighbor and lets just say..... he suffered more than i do.

Lets see: he called cops, city and complained excessive noise (i was working on my HT, but only until 9pm), then he called city to complain about my water usage (i wash my bike too often..? ), then he called zoning office and said i have too many bikes ----> business in residential, then he called cops telling them i have illegal HIDs ( i retrofit my camry), then he called city that my shed is over the size limit by-law ( he can measure with his laser eyes ), then he called city and fire department with a tip that i use too much electricity and i do "something in my basement everynight" (he reads my meter) ..... now this isnt funny because my house was raid by cops included a detective and the chief of fire department. They didnt get a search warrant but they use fire hazard by-law to force into the dwelling.

The last one caused me to file a lawsuit against him .... he sold his home and moved within a month.

Last edited:
I had a guy like this as my neighbor and lets just say..... he suffered more than i do.

Lets see: he called cops, city and complained excessive noise (i was working on my HT, but only until 9pm), then he called city to complain about my water usage (i wash my bike too often..? ), then he called zoning office and said i have too many bikes ----> business in residential, then he called cops telling them i have illegal HIDs ( i retrofit my camry), then he called city that my shed is over the size limit by-law ( he can measure with his laser eyes ), then he called city and fire department with a tip that i use too much electricity and i do "something in my basement everynight" (he reads my meter) ..... now this isnt funny because my house was raid by cops included a detective and the chief of fire department. They didnt get a search warrant but they use fire hazard by-law to force into the dwelling.

The last one caused me to file a lawsuit against him .... he sold his home and moved within a month.

While I agree that calling police over someone having his high beams on is a bit excessive there is a difference between calling them for an actual infraction, and a clear pattern of harassment.

@Cool, from reading your posts I had a hunch, but in #106 you state you have a Camry...yup. Confirmed. You're out of your mind. :p
And your shed is too big.

@Cool, from reading your posts I had a hunch, but in #106 you state you have a Camry...yup. Confirmed. You're out of your mind. :p
And your shed is too big.

You gotta see the raid. Several patrols surround the house with a van that says forensic investigation parked down the street. The shock when everyone found out im an audio geek with a rack full of high end equipment and servers is priceless.

The detective wasnt happy. I guess he expected to be on news headline.

You gotta see the raid. Several patrols surround the house with a van that says forensic investigation parked down the street. The shock when everyone found out im an audio geek with a rack full of high end equipment and servers is priceless.

Funny now, must have been a b**ch then. Neighbour here complained about our shed, then built a greenhouse 15' feet high. Meh, he give me bags of figs, plums, tomatoes, zucchinis and cucumbers...I'm good.

that almost sounds true.

Back
Top Bottom