Hamilton thread for "keep your license" group rides | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hamilton thread for "keep your license" group rides

Corsara

Site Supporter
I've been enjoying somewhat more spirited riding lately (on private roads, of course :), but also met with people not comfortable with such pace. Also I have the feeling that even the die-hard race junkies and stunt masters have days, when they just want to go easy, which theoretically is also safer, no matter how you look at it.

So fellow riders in/around Hamilton, if you find the idea good, use this thread to post upcoming rides. I personally find it much easier to be subscribed to a thread and get notifications for new posts, rather than browse in hope to find a ride. Getting a notification is also somehow 'inviting' to go out, even if you haven't planned it.

To make it easier, I list below some rules that should govern the rides organized through here, and feel free to suggest changes:

+ Stunting is not allowed throughout the ride. Of course, an involuntary power or shift wheelie can happen, but the rider should not make any effort to sustain it.

+ No speeding in residential areas!!

+ The highways, backroads and city streets with no driveways and live people around can enjoy a pace boost, but never more than 20 over.

+ If a rider cannot maintain their speed in the corners, they should just catch up in the straights.

+ The group should maintain a staggered formation, but in corners the riders can (and should!) use the whole width of the lane to choose their line. So make sure you leave enough space between each other in the corners.

+ No running red lights, blowing stop signs, breaking the traffic rules.

+ Passing cars could be an exception, but only if the group agreed to that before the ride starts, and the leader should stick to that agreement no matter what. It is best if this is announced in the thread before the meet, of course.

Ride safe, looking forward to join your rides soon :)

------
Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Well, I'm not exactly in the Hamilton area, but your thinking is very much in line with our Thursday Steeles/Financial ride (Mississauga), and it has worked well for us for the last few years.

I'll stay tuned in case you have one starting at a time and place that I can get to.

Corsara.....

Fire off a PM to "TheAssassin" about this thread and to lead the group rides. He's a very safe and slow rider. :)

Corsara.....

Fire off a PM to "TheAssassin" about this thread and to lead the group rides. He's a very safe and slow rider. :)

Hehe, I know the assassin, I've been on a ride with him before and I totally enjoyed it :) In fact, I'm really regretting I won't be joining his ride this upcoming weekend as I will be away.

Hence this thread---it's about posting rides that are NOT in the style of The Assassin! I went on a few rides recently and met new people, some were not comfortable going too fast and I thought this thread is very much needed. And I'm sure I'll enjoy the rides posted here as well, in fact I really want to slow down, and these rides with clear rules will help me do that.

Last edited:
This thread is a great idea. After all, how much fun would having a bike be without having a license? Good call, Corsara

So I rode with a guy, I went fast into some familiar curves then waited at a stop sign. Guy was coming too fast for his comfort level behind, saw in the mirror him trying to stop, rear apparently lost traction because I hear tire squealing, he blew the stop sign and stopped in the middle of the road. I felt endangered, also responsible---those curves are fine for me, done them many times at high speed, but other try to follow and almost crash in me...i don't think so.... so this thread is for rides that don't go too fast and are comfortable for everyone.

This thread is a great idea. After all, how much fun would having a bike be without having a license? Good call, Corsara

Thanks :) I'll start posting rides here myself starting next week when I'm available again.

So I rode with a guy, I went fast into some familiar curves then waited at a stop sign. Guy was coming too fast for his comfort level behind, saw in the mirror him trying to stop, rear apparently lost traction because I hear tire squealing, he blew the stop sign and stopped in the middle of the road. I felt endangered, also responsible---those curves are fine for me, done them many times at high speed, but other try to follow and almost crash in me...i don't think so.... so this thread is for rides that don't go too fast and are comfortable for everyone.

Some people don't always know their own limits. Group rides people should know their limits and others should be aware. Trust that the other riders will be on the other side of the twisties should they come through slower.

I don't ride spirited through an unknown set of twisties. I know that when I ride with my wife, I will need to wait at the other side, she rides differently then me, and I am ok with that. People really need to embrace "ride at your own pace" and if the ride says it will be at a higher pace, be aware of what that means and don't go beyond your limits, you licence and health (as well as others safety) are not worth it

I know what you mean. I recently went for a ride with a dude who was doubling speed limits, passing on unbroken yellows on curves on mountain accesses and pulling wheelies in traffic. I think people would do best to ride their own ride and remember the PACE principles.
People make mistakes when riding, probably not on purpose, either. I'm sure that person you were riding with felt incredibly embarassed and guilty about that situation. Perhaps it was an equipment issue?

I know what you mean. I recently went for a ride with a dude who was doubling speed limits, passing on unbroken yellows on curves on mountain accesses and pulling wheelies in traffic. I think people would do best to ride their own ride and remember the PACE principles.
People make mistakes when riding, probably not on purpose, either. I'm sure that person you were riding with felt incredibly embarassed and guilty about that situation. Perhaps it was an equipment issue?

I perfectly know how embarrassed the person probably felt, be it due to equipment issue or other---I've done such (and worse!) mistakes too. So I'm not mad or anything, lol... Just happy that noone got injured.

However, you'd be surprised how often group rides consist of doubling and even tripling the speed limit, passing on mountain access, even in turns, etc. It's actually harder nowadays to find a ride that is without all of that, so for those looking for rides without such kind of spirit, maybe they'll find it in this thread :) For god's sake, I even rode behind a small cruisers group once and they were doing the very same things normally attributed to sportbike rides, lol...for a moment there i even thought I'd lose them, hehe :)

I perfectly know how embarrassed the person probably felt, be it due to equipment issue or other---I've done such (and worse!) mistakes too. So I'm not mad or anything, lol... Just happy that noone got injured.

However, you'd be surprised how often group rides consist of doubling and even tripling the speed limit, passing on mountain access, even in turns, etc. It's actually harder nowadays to find a ride that is without all of that, so for those looking for rides without such kind of spirit, maybe they'll find it in this thread :) For god's sake, I even rode behind a small cruisers group once and they were doing the very same things normally attributed to sportbike rides, lol...for a moment there i even thought I'd lose them, hehe :)

:eek:ccasion5:

Just curious, was this your ride on Monday?

I'm glad to see this thread and look forward to upcoming rides.

I haven't been out much this season. Alot of the guys I used to ride with on here have since moved away or I don't hear from very often because of my schedule.

But I'd be in for the rides, Let me know when they will be and i'll try to bring some people that are responsible with me as well for the ride.

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for right now. I'm still a bit of a noob, so this pace, etc would be great for me. I'm basically just replying to subscribe to the thread to keep an eye on it, but thought I should type more than "subscribe". ;)

ALRIGHT, LET'S RIDE!

Date/time: Sat, July 7th, start meeting 8:30 am, leave 9:00 am.

Meeting location: Timmies @ Mud & 20 (http://goo.gl/maps/N4eZ)

Rules: see first post in this thread. In short--no stunting. Max: speed limit + 20. Go fast in corners, slow in straights, catch up in straights. Will wait at next stop/intersection/end of road if somebody lagging behind. No pressure, ride your own ride and regroup at next intersection.

Route: We'll take Ridge Rd, go down McNelly, up Fifty, then continue towards Niagara. Lots of twisties. End point will be a nice curvy road in Niagara, if you haven't been there---it's a must see! On the way back, we can do the same route (I'll opt for that), or if you want---take QEW back home.

EVERYBODY MUST KEEP THEIR LICENSE WITHOUT HAVING TO RUN FROM POLICE, SO NO RACING/STUNTING.

Hope the weather cooperates!

Reply here if you plan to join.

Show up with a FULL TANK OF GAS and EMPTY BLADDER :)

EDIT: The pace should be fine for a 250 to keep up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom