600cc bikes in Superbike/Open - You can do it! | GTAMotorcycle.com

600cc bikes in Superbike/Open - You can do it!

caboose56

Site Supporter
If you’re on a 600 and are exploring the options of what classes you could run in, I suggest taking a closer look at Open Sprint and Superbike. Realistically Grand Bend and TMP do not offer any advantage to the big cc bikes. What they gain in horsepower down the straight sections they lose in agility in the tight sections.

Further, if you think about your chances of doing well you’re far more likely to collect some tire money and get on a podium in Superbike or Open Sprint than you are in 600 Extreme even though you’re on a 600. Don’t be intimidated just because you’re on a 600, if you do well in 600 Extreme you’ll do even better in Superbike or Open. For the tires that pay contingency, if you finish 5[SUP]th[/SUP] in either class you’ll pretty much earn back your entry fee so it is almost a free class! ;) If you’re no longer able to run Rookie due to experience there are a lot of guys that choose 600 Extreme and Superbike. As you newer guys graduate from Rookie and perhaps are looking for a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] class to replace it I would suggest either Superbike or Open Sprint.

I like bigger grids! Come get some tire money! Come play with the big bikes! Actually, at SOAR round 2 this year I was on the only 1000cc bike in Open Sprint and there were only two of us in Superbike.

Discuss? Why? Why not?

Go!

Totally agree , you can enter twice as many classes and like you said the "big" bike really dosen't have any advantage on most tracks. Even a longer and super fast track like mosport,I'm pretty sure the big bikes were only at most two seconds faster and that can be pretty much entirely attributed to that extremely long straightaway where you can actually use "all" of a bike.

Go for it.

At the club racing level, and on some of the tracks we ride, its entirely possible for a 600 to beat a 1000 in open, and sb. Will it be a challenge for the 600 rider? Sure, but that's what racing is all about. It's my opinion that the 600 rider riding against the 1000's will become a better RACER (racing, not riding) quicker than the 1000 riders they're racing against. Riding a bike fast is one thing, but racing a bike up against a sometimes serious HP deficit is a totally different challenge laid on top of it. It does nothing but cause frustration, build racecraft, and reward hard work and perseverance. I love watching (and being in) those David/Goliath battles.

Go for it.

At the club racing level, and on some of the tracks we ride, its entirely possible for a 600 to beat a 1000 in open, and sb. Will it be a challenge for the 600 rider? Sure, but that's what racing is all about. It's my opinion that the 600 rider riding against the 1000's will become a better RACER (racing, not riding) quicker than the 1000 riders they're racing against. Riding a bike fast is one thing, but racing a bike up against a sometimes serious HP deficit is a totally different challenge laid on top of it. It does nothing but cause frustration, build racecraft, and reward hard work and perseverance. I love watching (and being in) those David/Goliath battles.

It's entirely possible and happens quite often. Will Hornblower and Tony Lanni are both riding their 600s very well this year and both of them are going to make it very difficult for me in Superbike.

Go for it!

As the sponsor for SOAR's Novice Open class, we can confirm that the winners at round 1 & 2 were both on 600s. Jamie Young won on his CBR600RR at Round 1, as did Paul Skene on his GSXR600 at Round 2. They each picked up a snazzy trophy and are in the running for the year-end cash prize. The year-end payouts for the Novice Open class are $250 for 1st Place, $150 for 2nd, and $100 for 3rd Overall in the season championship. There is also a $50 Gift Certificate redeemable at Trackside Cuts, given away each Round to one of the class participants by random draw at the podium presentations.

Let's go racing!!

Go for it!

As the sponsor for SOAR's Novice Open class, we can confirm that the winners at round 1 & 2 were both on 600s. Jamie Young won on his CBR600RR at Round 1, as did Paul Skene on his GSXR600 at Round 2. They each picked up a snazzy trophy and are in the running for the year-end cash prize. The year-end payouts for the Novice Open class are $250 for 1st Place, $150 for 2nd, and $100 for 3rd Overall in the season championship. There is also a $50 Gift Certificate redeemable at Trackside Cuts, given away each Round to one of the class participants by random draw at the podium presentations.

Let's go racing!!

This too!

Also.. Drew and Sunny are great!

Go for it!

Let's go racing!!

Paul Skene is on a built 750.

My mistake. Is it a built motor?

Regardless, it further proves Tim's point...smaller displacement bikes can battle with the litre bikes at tracks like GBM and TMP.

I can't tell them apart!

My mistake. Is it a built motor?

Regardless, it further proves Tim's point...smaller displacement bikes can battle with the litre bikes at tracks like GBM and TMP.

So far there have been 4 races in Superbike and Open Sprint. Two winners on 600s, one on a 750 and one (me) on a 1000. Last year Ryan won the Open Sprint championship on a 600 and Aubrey won the Superbike championship on a 600.

yeah they look the same.

I am agreeing with you at THIS level. how many 600s have won a race in expert? why do you think u dont see 600s at the pro level in and superbike races. This argument has been going for a long time and the extra hp make a difference. you also claim that your bike weighs around 370lbs which is only about 10lbs heavier than my bike. Im pretty sure at this point that I am ten pounds heavier than you.

That puts our bikes pretty even other that the slightly heavier rotating mass in your engine (again should be almost unnoticeable at this level).

OHHH yeah and that 107HP that my bike makes (dyno rear wheel) and 160+ that your bike makes. Thats almost a 50% deficit.

Jodi Christie was running a 600 last weekend at Shannonville in the superbike class. There were a few others too but I don't know who they were.

I haven't weighed it yet so I don't know for sure.

You are correct about Expert/Pro level riders but I'm not too worried about that for the purposes of this discussion. How many riders currently in Rookie or Novice will ever even make it to black numbers?

The difference between Jodi Christie's best lap time and Andrew Nelson's was less than a second , and this is at the pro level , where skill levels are typically a lot closer. At the novice/amateur level the riders skill level would make more of a difference than the bike , making any advantage , if any, on a 1000 negligible on most tracks.

Oh ya, that guy too. I don't think their bikes are putting out 107hp though either.

Heck I'd run a 600 in the SB class just so I could do more races.

The difference between Jodi Christie's best lap time and Andrew Nelson's was less than a second , and this is at the pro level , where skill levels are typically a lot closer. At the novice/amateur level the riders skill level would make more of a difference than the bike , making any advantage , if any, on a 1000 negligible on most tracks.

This is pretty much what I'm going for.

There's a lot of overlap between Nov 600 Extreme and Rookie but as riders graduate from Rookie they'll likely look for another class to ride in. From what I've noticed most riders like to have 2-3 classes to compete in. Superbike and/or Open Sprint are good choices IMO, but maybe some riders overlook them because they think the horsepower deficit makes a big difference.. when realistically it doesn't.

Come race in Open and/or Superbike!

Finish top 6 in Superbike and you can be a provisional expert and race in Expert Superbike at the end of the day. That's 'The Show', people! Do it!

Totally agree , you can enter twice as many classes and like you said the "big" bike really dosen't have any advantage on most tracks. Even a longer and super fast track like mosport,I'm pretty sure the big bikes were only at most two seconds faster and that can be pretty much entirely attributed to that extremely long straightaway where you can actually use "all" of a bike.

A 600 doesn't stand a chance against a superbike at Mosport... none at all.

IMO, as for comparing lap times, it may not be a valid comparision when it comes to "racing". A 600 may be faster through and out of the corner, but if all things are relatively equal, the 1000 will get to the corner first... and where does most passing happen? I don't care if you are quicker through the corner as you will be behind me. Now if the 600 got through and gapped, that would give it a fighting chance. And remember, I am talking about the top racers.

At the novice and am level (barring Mosport) it may not make that much of a difference. but 600's may still have to play some catch-up.

Back
Top Bottom