Need Help! 2009 Honda CBR600RR chokes at high RPM (7000+) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need Help! 2009 Honda CBR600RR chokes at high RPM (7000+)

Enzo

Need Help! 2009 Honda CBR600RR chokes/dies in higher RPM (5000+)

Hi Guys,

I need your help. My bike kinda chokes in higher RPM when I accelerate; when RPM goes back to zero and after couple second comes back on when I let the throttle go. This happens in hard acceleration or anytime the bike reaches to higher RPM (7000+). The bike runs great in idle and revs up with no problem. I have to mention that the bike was dropped on its side (side stand gone to a damn hot asphalt!!!) and couple days after it was washed with high pressure water (blame it on me, my first time!!!). here are the things I have done so far to resolve the issue:

1- Changing the air filter in order to eliminate the possible issue of clogged filter
2- making sure the battery is secure and tight in its place and all the connections are good.
3- Looked for tip over sensor (someone said it is a possibility!) but could not find it!
4- Used Lucas fuel injector cleaner to clean up fuel lines and injector due to the possible dirt from pressure washing.

I have gone to forums and read similar posts and some have suggested to change the spark plugs. Please let me know what do think? thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Maybe the fuel filter, my R6 was doing a similar thing except it would choke at F/T around 10k. I changed the Fuel Filter and it seemed to rectify the problem (given my R6 is carbed).

Cheers,
Geoff

Fuel filter is in the tank. I would doubt the fuel filter unless there are alot of kms on the bike...or for some reason the tank is rusting inside. Is the FI light on, on the dash? Has anyone had the bike apart recently?

A couple common things on this bike. Ensure the fuel tank vent hose is not kinked. It runs from beneath the gas tank, down the left side of the bike and exits at the lower fairing by the kickstand.

There is a very small vacuum hose connection at the MAP sensor located at the very base of the air box. It is visible from the gas tank side, but the tank will need to be removed. This hose quite often gets forgotten when reinstalling the air box. Use care, this sensor is easily broken at the vacuum port.

UM, have you ever heard of a rev limiter?

If you find that ruling out the fuel filter and/or kinked fuel or vacuum lines (also quite suspect as no mechanic ever lets the tank back down with the care that an owner in-the-know does after a service), then next suspicion to rule out would be a bad coil(s) maybe due to getting a bit squished during the fall? Not sure their location. Coils can go bad though with no damage. And if they do, it is usually when demanding a high rpm out of them. My bet though is fuel system to one degree or another.

This happens randomly, so I do no think rev limiter would be the cause!

Unfreaking believable..think about it..
Don't get it? You get some useful info in your thread about your question from a few posters and the only poster you acknowledge has the least helpful post.
And I can't believe how often this happens. Unsubscribed.

Hope it's not the a green 600rr i sold...
Anyhow i doubt a standing drop will do this. It has full fairing sides that take the impact, very unlikely i think.

Bro, I appreciate the useful info. I acknowledge all the posts that is why I am responding you now! I had to respond to Low Rider in a polite way since he was wrong.

I thought the original thread header did not say CBR.
I thought it just said 600r
There are many many bikes signified by 600r.
My bad.

No, I have fueled up a few times since and also I have put Lucas fuel and injector cleaner but no changes.

I have to mention that this gets really worse in hot weather!!!

that leads me to think plugs or Coil (COP). Its common for a Coil to "break up" when it gets hot as they can become cracked and the crack gets larger with the heat of the engine. Grab a repair manual to start I will for warn you the plugs on this bike are not easy to change. You have to do them by lowering the rad and wedging your arm in between. Its not fun at all!

Thanks Bro, I called Markham Honda and talked to them they said it is a possibility also we have to check the ECU as well. Anyways I am taking the bike to mechanic this Tuesday to troubleshoot the issue. I talked to him about your reply, hopefully I can fix it because for past few days it is become even worse since the bike dies 5000+ RPM!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom