Got caught speeding 33 km/h over in Caledon advice needed | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got caught speeding 33 km/h over in Caledon advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The speed limits in caledon Village do not match the actual law. read RRO619, schedule 12, part 3 and 5. this outlines the speed limits on provincial roads. schedule 12 part 3 outlines the 80 zones and state they are from brampton to 610 meters south of highway 24(Charlston road center of caledon village) and from 600 meters north of highway 24 till orangeville. however the signs are posted a 60 there, 20 under what the law is. and part 5 outlines the 60 zones which are where the 50 zones are posted. If you got a ticket there, they are all bogus. go get your money and points back, the entire zone is mis-posted.

I sometimes wonder how it is that someone joins and their very first post is to resurrect a thread nearly 4 years dead. How do they find it? Why do they think anything said now is relevant to the OP?

So strange...

Ok thanks for clearing that up. Does anyone have any experience in the Caledon court? Im kind of intimidated by it because i know in small towns the officers, the prosecutor and the judge all know each other:(

Yeah, I've dealt with Caledon before. Meet with the CP, he should offer you a reduction (usually about 12kph) in the charge. Judges are absolutely nasty in Caledon, and the OPP are jerks. Take the deal from the CP or be prepared to argue your case to the judge.

I sometimes wonder how it is that someone joins and their very first post is to resurrect a thread nearly 4 years dead. How do they find it? Why do they think anything said now is relevant to the OP?

So strange...

It's not relevant to the original post, but I did a fact check on his post, and it appears that he is at least partly correct. (I haven't gone there to double check the actual distances from the intersection, and since I haven't gotten a ticket there, I will leave this to others.) There is some sort of discrepancy between the posted speed limits on highway 10 through the village of Caledon and what the actual registered speed limits are. This means that anyone who got a speeding ticket on Highway 10 in the village of Caledon (in the posted 60 or 50 zones) would do well to continue with that research ... if the signs don't match what the law says, the ticket isn't valid. Cops sit in a side street north of Charleston sideroad (a.k.a. "24") all the time where the posted limits drop quickly from 80 to 60 then 50.

I wouldn't count on this getting you out of a ticket for doing 100 km/h through the village, though. You're still over the speed limit ... but perhaps not by as much.

Are speed limits on provincial roads mandated/standardized...? I always thought that if said highway passed within the jurisdiction of a city/town/whatnot, said municipality had the ability to adjust the limits as they saw fit, hence all the "speed limit xxx unless otherwise marked" signs you typically see in many areas as you enter the jurisdiction/municipality.

The speed limits in caledon Village do not match the actual law. read RRO619, schedule 12, part 3 and 5. this outlines the speed limits on provincial roads. schedule 12 part 3 outlines the 80 zones and state they are from brampton to 610 meters south of highway 24(Charlston road center of caledon village) and from 600 meters north of highway 24 till orangeville. however the signs are posted a 60 there, 20 under what the law is. and part 5 outlines the 60 zones which are where the 50 zones are posted. If you got a ticket there, they are all bogus. go get your money and points back, the entire zone is mis-posted.

Nice try but no dice. You would have a better defence using the freeman on the land argument.

For highways passing through municipal areas, local bylaws may override the speed set out in the HTA regulations.

[h=4]128. Regulation[/h](1.1) The Minister may by regulation prescribe the municipalities to which clause (1) (b) applies. 2002, c. 17, Sched. C, s. 15 (2).
[h=4]Rate of speed by by-law[/h](2) The council of a municipality may, for motor vehicles driven on a highway or portion of a highway under its jurisdiction, by by-law prescribe a rate of speed different from the rate set out in subsection (1) that is not greater than 100 kilometres per hour and may prescribe different rates of speed for different times of day. 2006, c. 32, Sched. D, s. 4 (3).

That regulation only covers provincial highways - and I'm not sure if it is actually up to date. They're using "highway 24" for the name of the main road that crosses highway 10 in Caledon village. It used to be called that - it's within a time that I can remember but it is a heck of a long time ago that it changed to "highway 124" (which is now a municipally administered road). It used to be that highway 24 came through Guelph and Erin and then at Caledon village, it joined highway 10 north to 89 then west following 89 into Shelburne and then north to Collingwood. Now the piece from Guelph to Caledon is 124 and the piece from Shelburne to Collingwood is 124 but the piece concurrent with highway 10 vanished. But we digress ...

The way that regulation looks, appears to document each and every speed limit change on every provincially-administered highway, whether it's within a town or not.

edit: Simul-posting. The ability of local councils to overrule what's set out in the regulation pretty much means the regulation is useless. One would have to dig into the bylaws to find out what the speed limit is actually set to.

That regulation only covers provincial highways - and I'm not sure if it is actually up to date. They're using "highway 24" for the name of the main road that crosses highway 10 in Caledon village. It used to be called that - it's within a time that I can remember but it is a heck of a long time ago that it changed to "highway 124" (which is now a municipally administered road). It used to be that highway 24 came through Guelph and Erin and then at Caledon village, it joined highway 10 north to 89 then west following 89 into Shelburne and then north to Collingwood. Now the piece from Guelph to Caledon is 124 and the piece from Shelburne to Collingwood is 124 but the piece concurrent with highway 10 vanished. But we digress ...

The way that regulation looks, appears to document each and every speed limit change on every provincially-administered highway, whether it's within a town or not.

Overridden by local bylaws within Caledon municipal area. http://www.caledon.ca/uploads/5/Doc_635888286781410280.pdf

You guys are aware the original post is from 2012.
I'm pretty sure this has been settled by now.

Not only that, but the post that dragged this thread up from the dead turns out to be a red herring. I'll make sure it stays dead now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom