What's more dangerous? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's more dangerous?

You are right, the likelihood of one of these ignorant riders killing anyone but themselves is low; unfortunately when a near miss occurs and you are involved, the psychological trauma stays with you for a long time.

For me two examples of these fools occurred on the 401; two very separate and different occasions. Both happened at night.

I look at my mirrors at least every five seconds whether riding or driving. I am west-bound on Hwy 401 just west of Keele where for people that know the area there is an s-curve with a dip. I'm travelling a little above the speed limit and there are a few cars behind me. I see two riders approaching behind me at high rate of speed so now I start to focus on them; speed difference is quite large. Lead rider is about 6-8 bike lengths ahead; we are approaching the s-curve. All of a sudden lead rider does a wheelie and enters curve on rear wheel; passing me on rear wheel. If I had not been watching I would not have known where he was. What if I changed lane?

Second incident I wanted to change lane to right, signalled right, checked mirrors and blind spot. I typically take my time with lane changes so second observation is required (allowing signal to flash 3-6 times). Just as I check my blind spot to right for the second time and I am ready to lane change right, I see a rider on a SS passing me on the right; so I abort lane change. I was travelling at 130 km/h in my car; rider by my estimate travelling 160-180 km/h. I missed seeing him because of curves and elevation changes behind me as well as there was cross-over from the express lanes behind me. And for those that are thinking of saying I should have been looking better, I could not have done better. There was an open lane to my left, I am signalling lane change right, why not pass on my left?

I you are a so called good rider and you are riding much faster then traffic, how about looking at your environment and making the best decision for your own safety. I don't want your death on my conscience.

Last edited:
people so situationally unaware that they would be "surprised" or frightened by a passing bike are more dangerous than fast and aggressive riders or drivers.

look in your god damn mirrors...they're not on there as a decoration.

ESPECIALLY on a motorcycle, there is zero excuse for not knowing what is around you, and knowing what is approaching from behind you.

I'll take a road full of attentive aggressive people over a road full of passive scared idiots any day.

油井緋色;1806306 said:
This means all of those riders had more skill and balls than you.

Canadian driving is easy, if you think this **** is dangerous, go to Asia and ride in ANY major city.

And honestly, if you think it's dangerous and they really are endangering your life, do what your primal instincts are screaming; chase them down and beat the **** out of them. If you don't feel the urge to, it ain't dangerous...unless you aren't feeling cause you're dead.

:lmao:

Last edited:
Lol

I believe that riding in Asia is dangerous. Ive seen it first hand thousands of times: in Markham.

Dont ride through Markham with wearing full hear, flashing lights, and with a siren. And even then, try to ride through fields and on the sidewalk if you can. Its the only way to get out of there alive.

Cars - this weekend, a moron overtook me within my lane on an offramp from the 407 to the DVP. And then the moron proceeded to zigzag across lanes, slamming the brakes down on occasion because the concept of 'traffic flow' was clearly something alien to him.

I still find it hard to believe that we have a licensing system in Ontario considering the idiotic things I've seen on the highways and the GTA.

Reading this forum in particular, it's a bit strange that so many posts are about riders doing crazy stuff. From my experiences so far, I haven't witnessed riders endangering others on the road. Sure, I've seen a few of them speed but that's about it. And the speeding was no different from other traffic on the road. I can count on one hand traffic offences committed by bikers.
On the other hand, I lost count of the crazy drivers way back in May - speeding (check), driving slowly and braking suddenly in the left lane (check), u-turn without signaling on a curvy road with a blind turn (check), going the wrong way down a street (check), following too closely (check), randomly braking and interrupting traffic flow (check), weaving through traffic (check), crossing 3 lanes to make it onto the offramp (check), overtaking within a ramp (check), ignoring a stop sign (check), ignoring a red traffic light (check), merging onto a road without signalling or looking (check), honking/yelling driving aggressively on an inner city street (check) and so on

These are not exceptions by any means. I've seen them happen repeatedly. What the hell do the OPP do? People don't drive/ride recklessly as a one time thing. Reckless drivers would, I expect , tend to have bad practices/serious issues so the fact that this is such a prevalent occurrence means that licensing and enforcement are insufficient.

Any one of those could've led to a disaster. I haven't seen motorcyclists doing these things. Maybe I'm an exception in that respect but when we're talking about 'what's more dangerous', it's not a question nor a contest for me

Last edited:
These are not exceptions by any means. I've seen them happen repeatedly. What the hell do the OPP do?
Set up speed (revenue) traps on the highways instead of actually taking that stupid speed gun out of their hands and patrolling the roads for the deadly drivers.

people so situationally unaware that they would be "surprised" or frightened by a passing bike are more dangerous than fast and aggressive riders or drivers.

look in your god damn mirrors...they're not on there as a decoration.

ESPECIALLY on a motorcycle, there is zero excuse for not knowing what is around you, and knowing what is approaching from behind you.

I'll take a road full of attentive aggressive people over a road full of passive scared idiots any day.

Your post was just after my post. I'm wondering if it was a reply to my post or just located there by coincidence. If I was a response to my post, then I think that you didn't understand my point.

The point that I was trying to make is that if I (one who checks mirrors often) was surprised by the antics of these two riders imagine how many average drivers would have been surprised with the result of riders being hit. The average driver checks their mirrors every 10-15 seconds; some are even worse. I knew exactly where "wheelie guy" was and for the second guy I can't see around curves with my mirrors no matter how hard I try.

I think you mean confident people in your post not aggressive people; aggressive drivers don't give space while confident drivers/riders know how to do things well and understand that there are others out there that don't so you need space to deal with their mistakes.

Yup.....tho aggressive cagers in MY SPACE are informed of my displeasure in no uncertain terms. :D
Still they are more predictable dick heads than the uncertain ones who are just as likely to pull a U turn in front of you as not. :(

How about finding aggressive, timid or inattentive drivers/riders unacceptable? All can cause a collision.

How many riders are you assigning per finger and have you ever thought about auditioning for The Simpsons?

One. I only have four fingers . . . Per hand . . . And two thumbs.
For those who're mathematically challenged that's three people.
Oh, and you're not one of them :p

I tried, but they felt that Ned having a brother Red, or Krusty having twin brothers Rusty and Musty,
would be too much.

Cagers are very much dependent on the fact that I don't want to take the time, to deal with a collision, even though the fault would lie with them. Motorcyclists seem to take this dependency to a whole new level, since a collision would kill them.

The problem is that in either case, because of their own actions, they may meet someone who won't be charged, and DGAF at the time.

don't forget bikes make up only a tiny tiny fraction of the vehicles on the road.

Your post was just after my post. I'm wondering if it was a reply to my post or just located there by coincidence. If I was a response to my post, then I think that you didn't understand my point.

The point that I was trying to make is that if I (one who checks mirrors often) was surprised by the antics of these two riders imagine how many average drivers would have been surprised with the result of riders being hit. The average driver checks their mirrors every 10-15 seconds; some are even worse. I knew exactly where "wheelie guy" was and for the second guy I can't see around curves with my mirrors no matter how hard I try.

I think you mean confident people in your post not aggressive people; aggressive drivers don't give space while confident drivers/riders know how to do things well and understand that there are others out there that don't so you need space to deal with their mistakes.

nah my post was directed at the OP; if you read between the lines hes white knuckling it and should focus on improving so he isn't "startled" by other riders

My apology; it appeared that I was being criticized and since you would have not been the first on this forum (I became sensitive) I wanted to ask why.

Don't know where civility has gone while driving; people will risk being involved in a collision simply to get to a red traffic light before you.

Once worked with a rider who kept a child's small hardwood baseball bat in a pouch attached to the bottom-side of his seat. When a cage behaved badly (caused a near miss or scaring the hell out of him) he would chase it down, pull out his sturdy bat and whack off his side mirror. One time after whacking off the cage's mirror, the cage tried to bounce him into the guardrail.

Sounds a little like Mad Max and this rider had a history of multiple admission to mental health facilities.

Once worked with a rider who kept a child's small hardwood baseball bat in a pouch attached to the bottom-side of his seat. When a cage behaved badly (caused a near miss or scaring the hell out of him) he would chase it down, pull out his sturdy bat and whack off his side mirror. One time after whacking off the cage's mirror, the cage tried to bounce him into the guardrail.

Sounds a little like Mad Max and this rider had a history of multiple admission to mental health facilities.

No need for the bat, if you have good gloves you can just punch them off...but I advise against doing so unless the person really tried to block or hit you on purpose, and even then you better be good enough to get away with ease.

I've taken off mirrors twice in the entire time I've been riding, and both times the person was swerving at me deliberately outside of their lane, multiple times.

I know we all want to smash the mirror off that inattentive prius, but that's not fair...there are lots of ****** drivers, they don't deserve to have property damage just for being bad at driving...just shrug and move on.

I really don't know how you guys do it out here! I just moved from BC and I'm finding the people out here to be amazingly friendly, but the drivers to be insanely aggressive and unpredictable. In the last 3 days I've had some dumbass pull U-turn in front of me almost causing me to go over my handlebars at 45kph (he wasn't even in my lane, just parked on the side and decided to pull out) and countless amounts of tailgaters. One guy yesterday tailgated me for 5 minutes, I tapped my rear break a couple of times to let him know to back off. Then he swerves past my back wheel to cut in right in front of me, giving me the finger in the process.

Crazy - going to take some getting used to.

How do you guys deal with tailgaters out here? Obviously the rear break tap doesn't work? Also, taxis and other cagers downtown who use the right lane to speed past like 2 cars to realise theres a car in that lane and cut you off trying to get back in.

I really don't know how you guys do it out here! I just moved from BC and I'm finding the people out here to be amazingly friendly, but the drivers to be insanely aggressive and unpredictable. In the last 3 days I've had some dumbass pull U-turn in front of me almost causing me to go over my handlebars at 45kph (he wasn't even in my lane, just parked on the side and decided to pull out) and countless amounts of tailgaters. One guy yesterday tailgated me for 5 minutes, I tapped my rear break a couple of times to let him know to back off. Then he swerves past my back wheel to cut in right in front of me, giving me the finger in the process.

Crazy - going to take some getting used to.

How do you guys deal with tailgaters out here? Obviously the rear break tap doesn't work? Also, taxis and other cagers downtown who use the right lane to speed past like 2 cars to realise theres a car in that lane and cut you off trying to get back in.

I never have an issue with tailgaters...and I've been commuting to work downtown for the past 3 years. Maybe that's because I don't ride like a dick at or below the speed limit when the flow is above that like a lot of "safe drivers" out there...maybe you need to take a look at your riding...

Stop riding so slowly, or move right and let them pass. If cars are behind you getting frustrated you're going too slow and creating an unsafe situation for yourself by creating an aggravating situation for them.

If you're scared to ride just a bit faster than traffic so you're not holding it up, then if you have an aggressive driver behind you, go ahead and pull to the side and wave them past.

The idea that you're entitled to slow down other people because you're "already" going the speed limit or <x> speed is just silly rationalizing and doesn't much respect the fact that they are driving thousands of lbs on four wheels vs your two wheeler.

Back
Top Bottom