What's more dangerous? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's more dangerous?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
The cages that we encounter each and every day? Or riders who are f'in idiots on the roads???

I had a big boy harley pass me on the inside of my lane (I was in left track of right lane) today and it scared the **** out of me as he was far back when I last saw him. Then as he weaves in and out on Kipling he almost clipped a few cars and a bus around Queensway!

Not like we have enough to worry about being among the sheep and idiot n in attentive drivers but is this normal!? I'm not like other posts here where I'll loose my **** and go start a fight as its not worth it to me but what do you when you encounter such idiocy? Leave it be? Pick a fight? Call HR?

I almost took out an SV this morning..I signalled to pass another car, he was behind me, he was doing a shoulder check while gunning it to pass me on the same side I was passing the guy in front of me. Fortunately I saw in my mirror what he was doing and swerved back into my lane. I'm sure he was completely oblivious of the entire episode.

saw an idiot on a blue SS cutting through cars in heavy traffic on DVP making everyone slam their brakes so he could get a few car lengths ahead

Idiots drive cars and ride bikes . They don't change habits or attitudes when they change vehicles. I've seen plenty of ass hat riders here.

There are many, many times when we (collectively) are our own worst enemies.

Last Thursday, while approaching the stop sign at the east end of Mono Center road eastbound, a V-Strom made the left turn from northbound Airport Road onto Mono Center by severely cutting the corner (through the eastbound stop line). It's completely blind approaching from both directions at that corner. If I had been about three seconds earlier, it would have been a bike-to-bike head-on. If I had been driving a dump truck instead of a bike and it were three seconds eariler, he would have splatted himself across the bumper.

Both -- as others have said, it's the idiot that's either behind the wheel or the handlebars.

I know other bikes have startled me while riding, similar to what the OP said (passing in same lane), plus when riding I find it a lot harder to spot bikes in my mirrors as they are a lot smaller than cars and typically move a lot faster.

I've seen my share of idiot riders on bikes while in the car as well -- weaving between lanes every 1-2 seconds, lane-splitting down the DVP (while traffic was still flowing at 80km/h or more), wheelie-ing down the 401 in moderate traffic (tshirt, shorts, and no helmet), or passing/changing lanes when there is barely enough room for the bike to fit (or not enough, so they lane-split).

Honestly imo with cages it's more that the drivers are either too stupid/oblivious to be behind the wheel, or feel they can bully anything smaller than them/they have priority...whereas with bikes it's more a case of stupidity/darwinism in that they'll take stupid risks (to them and others), or will treat public roads as their own personal racetrack (grossly disobey limits, signs, lane markings, etc).

Long story short getting a license should be harder plus include some sort of psych eval/stupidity test -- the roads would be a much safer place for the rest of us lol.

Last edited:
It seems when you are on your bike, other riders somtimes feel compelled to show you how "skilled" they are.

The cages that we encounter each and every day? Or riders who are f'in idiots on the roads???

As the man said:

Idiots drive cars and ride bikes . They don't change habits or attitudes when they change vehicles. I've seen plenty of *** hat riders here.

With a couple of additional observations:

1. All else being equal, cages are definitely more dangerous. Bigger mass, harder to miss, idiot's in SUVs thinking they are invincible...

2. You do not fight idiots directly if you know what's good for you. Save your energy for learning how to detect and avoid them so they become someone else's problem. Most of the time they won't even understand what you are upset about. If you really feel like sticking it to them, engage the authorities - it's their job.

I have called several times to report dangerous drivers (severely aggressive, distracted or otherwise impaired). It doesn't really matter if they suffer any consequences right then. What matters is that the report of their behavior is recorded. If they behave like that often enough and enough people report them they will get theirs eventually. Not to sound like a highway Nazi, my tolerance for aggressive driving is pretty high and I don't report unless I'm confident that person deserves a dangerous driving charge. Even then, I won't bother to pull over just so I can report them.

Another point to consider: If you got scared, had to swerve, brake or engage in any other abrupt defensive maneuver that is in itself potentially dangerous - chances are very high that you didn't pay enough attention and did not protect your space properly. Some of my happiest moments on the road are those when I anticipate someone else's dangerous action before it's even begun and prevent it from affecting me in any way. I shake my head, congratulate myself on being attentive and proactive and happily continue riding/driving.

i was driving up the dvp last thursday, dumbass riders cruising in the left lane, i had to pass several bikes using the middle lane while on my travels up the dvp...it's not like any of them were in a group, they just decided to sit in the left lane while the middle was open up...must have been the L&L posers...

I've had a couple lately.

I was riding to the gym on a road that goes from an 80 to 50 zone and there's always cops. A GSX-R had pulled into the right tire track beside me. At the transition from 80-50kph, I flashed my brakes a couple times to let him know I was going to slow down, at which point he opened it up and passed me in my lane at well over 2x the speed limit.

Last week I had a lane splitter going southbound on Woodbine approaching Steeles. I thought he was going to die.

I'm not like other posts here where I'll loose my **** and go start a fight as its not worth it to me but what do you when you encounter such idiocy? Leave it be? Pick a fight? Call HR?

I believe you can ONLY get HR involved if you are "intentionally" re-ended.....

I was riding to the gym on a road that goes from an 80 to 50 zone and there's always cops. A GSX-R had pulled into the right tire track beside me. At the transition from 80-50kph, I flashed my brakes a couple times to let him know I was going to slow down, at which point he opened it up and passed me in my lane at well over 2x the speed limit.

Last week I had a lane splitter going southbound on Woodbine approaching Steeles. I thought he was going to die.

You know what this means? All of those riders were more skilled than oyu

This means all of those riders had more skill and balls than you.

Canadian driving is easy, if you think this **** is dangerous, go to Asia and ride in ANY major city.

And honestly, if you think it's dangerous and they really are endangering your life, do what your primal instincts are screaming; chase them down and beat the **** out of them. If you don't feel the urge to, it ain't dangerous...unless you aren't feeling cause you're dead.

I believe you can ONLY get HR involved if you are "intentionally" re-ended.....

I thought it was an intentional backing into that caused that stress!? LoL

Ah well...I guess the guy was a much more skilled rider than me...hell he weaved in b/w cars way better than I could or would.

In one place before starting my undergraduate lab work we took a safety lecture which consisted of being shown what happens when you dick about with dangerous things. We were shown uncensored pictures of people with missing limbs from explosions, terrible burns, people blinded by not wearing safety equipment etc etc. It worked for me, I was less dickish in dealing with dangerous chemicals. I honestly think that if more new drivers/riders were shown what can happen when you don't take care when dealing with things that can kill or injure they might take a little more care when using said equipment.

lots of people, lots of issues. While I know this doesn't include everyone, I will paint with a very wide brush

lots of sport bikes, who think they can go faster then everyone, so they do stupid moves at max speeds
lots of HD's and some other cruisers, think they have more right to the road because they have the largest displacement. Take a trip out to Dover on a Friday the 13th, more big bore HD's would ride you off the road if you are not on the right bike. if the fell you are impeding where they are looking to go.
Truck drivers that feel they have more right to the road because they are bigger, in fact one of my uncles who drove truck once remarked about "4 wheelers" being in his way cause he's out there making a living....:thefinger::mad:

Well i'm not sure how that gives you more right to the road then those going or coming from the place where they "make a living" or possibly after spending some part of their day "making a living" they are looking to spend some time with their loved ones...

Often you have BMW's/MB's/Cadillac's,... think that if they run up your back end or bumper they can "nudge" you out of their way, 'cause they obviously have something more important then you this happens in all lanes.

I think the general rule of thumb I see is if you have paid more or over paid for your vehicle, you have some belief system that you have more right to the road then the next guy.

Last edited:
I was at a traffic light on Jarvis northbound at rush hour and an idiot SS rider blew the red at high speed coming on the bike lane!! You wonder why people love bikers so much...

In one place before starting my undergraduate lab work we took a safety lecture which consisted of being shown what happens when you dick about with dangerous things. We were shown uncensored pictures of people with missing limbs from explosions, terrible burns, people blinded by not wearing safety equipment etc etc. It worked for me, I was less dickish in dealing with dangerous chemicals. I honestly think that if more new drivers/riders were shown what can happen when you don't take care when dealing with things that can kill or injure they might take a little more care when using said equipment.

i 100% agree with you. However I don't think the drivetest centers would appreciate having to clean up vomit on a daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom