What's more dangerous? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's more dangerous?

Stop riding so slowly, or move right and let them pass.

The idea that you're entitled to slow down other people because you're "already" going the speed limit or <x> speed is just silly rationalizing and doesn't much respect the fact that they are driving thousands of lbs on four wheels vs your two wheeler.

So you're saying that you condone speeding?.... and I actually had nowhere to move to - there was a car in front of me by 2 car lengths. I was following at a safe distance, but the lovely guy behind me obviously thought otherwise

Last edited:
So you're saying that you condone speeding?

uh, yes?

Ontario and BC both have extremely low speed limits that nobody obeys, thanks to ICBC in BC and the general insurance lobby in Ontario...this should not be news to you and shouldn't be surprising in the slightest.

If someone is going crazy behind you, just move over and wave them by, no point in antagonizing them.

I never have an issue with tailgaters...and I've been commuting to work downtown for the past 3 years. Maybe that's because I don't ride like a dick at or below the speed limit when the flow is above that like a lot of "safe drivers" out there...maybe you need to take a look at your riding...

All I can say to start is "Wow".

Regardless whether someone feels that the speed limit is too slow that doesn't give anyone the right to follow closely. I'm getting annoyed with the people that justify ignorant driving by saying that it is the fault of the person that is following traffic laws. You want to pass, I'm not a Police Officer go ahead I can't give you a ticket for speeding. I'm also not going to swerve to keep you from passing; but you better not be tail-gating because if I'm not on a motorcycle all bets are off. You don't want to stop at a stop sign; again I'm not a Police Officer, pass me respectfully (giving me space) and you can do as you please; you better not brake late behind me, stop closely behind me and then swear at me because I actually stopped. I'm not the a-hole, I simply want the space that is legally mine, you are the a-hole.

When riding a motorcycle I typically ride slightly faster than the average cager speed but there are times when I have to go slow when the situation could go horribly wrong (someone waiting to turn angling vehicle etc.). Gassing-it isn't always the best option. There was a post in another thread regarding what can happen when you don't slow down when the situation warrants it; you end up crashing into vehicles that turn in front of you. If you are behind me and don't know why I'm slowing down give me the space that is legally mine; pass when you have a chance and we will both be happy.

People drive and ride on public roads as if they are on a race track; I drive to the conditions. That means my speed varies depending on the level of traction, and potential danger. If you want to race then go to the race track.

What kind of a society have we become when we put down people that are following traffic laws and condone reckless behaviour. Give other riders/drivers the space that they deserve or accept the consequences.

All I can say to start is "Wow".

Regardless whether someone feels that the speed limit is too slow that doesn't give anyone the right to follow closely. I'm getting annoyed with the people that justify ignorant driving by saying that it is the fault of the person that is following traffic laws. You want to pass, I'm not a Police Officer go ahead I can't give you a ticket for speeding. I'm also not going to swerve to keep you from passing; but you better not be tail-gating because if I'm not on a motorcycle all bets are off. You don't want to stop at a stop sign; again I'm not a Police Officer, pass me respectfully (giving me space) and you can do as you please; you better not brake late behind me, stop closely behind me and then swear at me because I actually stopped. I'm not the a-hole, I simply want the space that is legally mine, you are the a-hole.

When riding a motorcycle I typically ride slightly faster than the average cager speed but there are times when I have to go slow when the situation could go horribly wrong (someone waiting to turn angling vehicle etc.). Gassing-it isn't always the best option. There was a post in another thread regarding what can happen when you don't slow down when the situation warrants it; you end up crashing into vehicles that turn in front of you. If you are behind me and don't know why I'm slowing down give me the space that is legally mine; pass when you have a chance and we will both be happy.

People drive and ride on public roads as if they are on a race track; I drive to the conditions. That means my speed varies depending on the level of traction, and potential danger. If you want to race then go to the race track.

What kind of a society have we become when we put down people that are following traffic laws and condone reckless behaviour. Give other riders/drivers the space that they deserve or accept the consequences.

Thank you - could't have said it better myself. I don't want any speeding tickets - I'm a young rider as it is and insurance is through the roof for me without ANY violations as of yet. Besides - you have probably lived here for a long time, if not all your life and know the roads. Myself being brand new to this cities roads and highways and have no idea where I'm going. I'd rather not get the surprise of crashing into something/someone because I'm trying to pay attention to where I'm going as well as all the other challenges we face such as cagers, conditions (weather, wind, road surfaces, construction) and other aspects we've all known to accept as a two-wheeled road user.

anyways k193 - I don't really want to get into an argument with you about driving skills. You're previous posts on not only this thread shows that you disobey the law - would speed from cops if you're going over 50, and have no problem smashing off wing mirrors with your gloves if someone ****** you off.

You're the kind of person who's ruining things for bikers who want to respect other road users and the law. You really should be less aggressive because I really hope it doesn't, but it could put you into some trouble on the roads in future. This website is supposed to unite us bikers together into giving help and real answers, not aggressive, cocky and know-it-all conclusions.

I'm sorry if my post about reckless drivers offended you, but I'm sending my love and respect to you anyway.

I feel you frustration.

Actually my rant wasn't directed at K193 as he seems to be a pretty good guy; I've wanted to smash a few mirrors throughout my riding career. He seems to have a "laissez faire" attitude; which is sort of my attitude as long as you don't follow too closely (give me space). As I said I'm not a Police Officer so if you want to pass then pass; it's your licence, it's your life. You give me space and we won't have any problem.

He k193 makes the excellent point that when you are on a motorcycle it is not a good idea to argue with a cager as you will always lose that argument. Alex San on the other hand: what can be said about that attitude?

Welcome to the new Toronto driving/riding attitude. Actually it's not new it's been in effect for the past 7-10 years.

All I said is that you have to follow the traffic flow. If the flow is 70 kph in a 60 zone and you're doing 60, you frustrate other drivers. No cop will ticket you for going 10-20 above the limit. Yes, I heard it from cops. No sane person will tailgate you when driving with the flow.

anyways k193 - I don't really want to get into an argument with you about driving skills. You're previous posts on not only this thread shows that you disobey the law - would speed from cops if you're going over 50, and have no problem smashing off wing mirrors with your gloves if someone ****** you off.

You're the kind of person who's ruining things for bikers who want to respect other road users and the law. You really should be less aggressive because I really hope it doesn't, but it could put you into some trouble on the roads in future. This website is supposed to unite us bikers together into giving help and real answers, not aggressive, cocky and know-it-all conclusions.

Truly I have ridden enough miles that I would be dead by now if my riding style and attitude was going to create problems for me. The harsh tone of my posts is to ensure the point is not lost in the translation and nicety that people sugar coat things with when addressing newer riders.

The only variable you can control when you're riding is you...if cars are frequently getting ****** off at you, instead of lamenting their ****** behavior, you should change your own riding if you can to address it. If you're not comfortable going faster than traffic, just pull off once in awhile and let cars through, no shame in that.

Sorry Alex I don't know you and you may be a very nice person, a great person to have as a friend but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you.

There are times when I am riding or driving when I have traffic in front of me and I have nowhere to go (figuratively or literally). Where would you like me to go? Vehicles need a certain braking distance to stop; following closely is never the right decision.

Before people started getting all crazy (7-10) years ago some people as you say the ones that aren't sane would follow closely. That was then, today, most people follow too closely regardless of sex, age, or the vehicle that they drive. Maybe your definition of following too closely is much closer than my own and that could be where our differing perceptions/conclusions come from.

If you give space whether you agree or disagree everyone is less stressed. Your Central Nervous System has an automatic component which works without your help to effectively deal with stressful situations. Being surrounded by others that are close is one of those stressful situations. Guaranteed if you go on a long ride and everyone is giving you space by the end of your ride you will not be tired; you will think "What a great ride I just had."

I was at the lights on lakeshore in clarkson on my DR650. A guy pulls up in the next lane on one of those new bagger gold wings in full pirate attire. Tunes were blasting. I guess he felt he needed to show me how a real biker leaves the lights.

he takes off and misses the shift into second, does a face plant into the dash and the bike does a big swerve and I thought he was going down. I was dying laughing, that's what showing off gets you. He wound up in the other lane by the time he got it under control.

To people who tailgate you in bumper to bumper traffic...you can take advantage of your bike's superior acceleration to eventually correct their behavior

Keeping an eye in your mirror to ensure they see you and are slowing down, let off the gas and slow them down by 20-30km/h, and then rocket back up to the previous speed you were going...leaving them backed off.

2-3 times should be all it takes for them to get sick of wasting gas coming back up on you....if they persist anyway, just get off the road and back on, not worth dealing with a confrontation with a several thousand lb vehicle.

I don't normally advise "controlling" cars with our bikes, but if they're right on your *** and you have nowhere to go (1 lane of travel in your direction) there isn't much else you can do

As long as you're in the right lane or sometimes the middle lane, leave some space in front. You don't want to be a sandwich. The worst is slow motorcycles in the passing lane, because you can easily see all that space ahead of them. My new car pings at me if I tailgate lol. That being said it has decent rubber, brand new brakes, and can quickly decelerate to zero.

Back
Top Bottom