Anyone into gardening here? | Page 24 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

A little of topic but anyone else have an ant issue? My interlock in the front is getting destoyed and I have 3 anthills in the back yard. Like my lawn wasn't in rough enough shape already.
Any suggestions? I've already partially dug up the backyard ones and doused them with the ant nest destoyer foam.
Let's just say:
Ant Hills - 3
Joe Bass - 0

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app
I had one out back, that I pinned one of those big giant ant baits near the entrances, and just left it as directed. They seem to have died or moved out.
I've also been told if you get the right mix of borax and honey or borax and sugar or borax and peanut butter, just make sure that other critters can't get at it.

DE (diatomaceous earth) ought to do the trick. Sharp, jagged dust that they won't want to crawl over.

I've found mulch effective too, and for my hostas I sprinkle egg shells at bases. Essentially the same theory as DE

A little of topic but anyone else have an ant issue? My interlock in the front is getting destoyed and I have 3 anthills in the back yard. Like my lawn wasn't in rough enough shape already.
Any suggestions? I've already partially dug up the backyard ones and doused them with the ant nest destoyer foam.
Let's just say:
Ant Hills - 3
Joe Bass - 0

I had a pretty big ant colony on my front lawn a couple of years ago, I used the stuff in a can where you insert the straw into one of the entrances, and spray until it starts to foam out. I ended up needing about 3 cans before foam started coming out of other entrances, but it did the trick. It must have been a huge colony.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I did the foam. Probably need more. Will try the ant bait traps.
This is them:
d1b6a1b65d90d0ae7d82db1b16003b2a.jpg
a05e868bb61b36a34bcc2acaebefd7d8.jpg
13c9264453f8fe2f40c5bfbd5f7419d1.jpg

And next issue: (looking at you Shane)
The roots from my Shubert Chokecherry (I think) are raised. And I have some suckers sprouting about 10 feet away as well. Any remedy to this? Ignore the condition of grass. Deck is the priority right now.
a4082f33d0a2fe862a3f62dfb64ba888.jpg
10d0552e6ac2306ba52629a1cfb176dd.jpg

Dad planted the veggies. Added some bagged dirt. Loaded with weeds. Need to turn these over.

ec0124321d050880bfad1534f427a0e8.jpg

And next issue: (looking at you Shane)
The roots from my Shubert Chokecherry (I think) are raised. And I have some suckers sprouting about 10 feet away as well. Any remedy to this? Ignore the condition of grass. Deck is the priority right now.
Usually you just repeatedly cut the suckers back to the main root. If the tree is healthy (making sure the root is not a major feeder for the tree and/or the tree isn't going under major heat/drought stress soon), then you might be able to cut and remove the length of root where the suckers are.
As for your veggie garden weeding - a really good tool for stand-up weeding which will slice the tops of all the tiny annual weed seeds germinating is called stirrup hoe. Awesome tool for really fast weeding of tiny plants.
image.jpg

And Shane, let's just say, for the people following this thread, how would they know if it was a main root or not? I mean, I would know, but how would they know?? ?

Let's just say:
Ant Hills - 3
Joe Bass - 0

years ago in my old house I poured gasoline down an ant hill to get rid of it....I also set it on fire. I may have been drinking a little. My wife no longer lets me get rid of the ants.

years ago in my old house I poured gasoline down an ant hill to get rid of it....I also set it on fire. I may have been drinking a little. My wife no longer lets me get rid of the ants.
I've heard of a similar method using propane... My mistake was telling my wife I was thinking of trying it.

I've heard of a similar method using propane... My mistake was telling my wife I was thinking of trying it.

Don't think for one second that both of these options aren't on my radar.

Last edited:
The base of my sunflowers keep rotting which causes the flowers to fall over and die. What would be causing this? It's just above soil level. I'm using straw as a mulch.

Don't think for one second that both of these options aren't on my radar.

Want me to bring over some tannerite?
Should get rid of the colony. ...and most of the grass, and the dirt. :)

Is this tree over-watered?

Seriously, I'm thinking about the Toronto Islands and the long term effects. They're off limits until the end of July, maybe longer.

Attachments

• 031r2.jpg
    031r2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Just saw this on the Twitter, thought it may be useful here.
b9672abcf985d89f2a9ed9e6fe8fa45e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom