Anyone into gardening here? | Page 22 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

Ya know, acetic acid has been shown to have carcinogenic effects. But lets not get facts in the way of WAGs.

No, 24D does not cause cancer. It has been researched over and over.
http://www.producer.com/2016/04/24-d-doesnt-cause-cancer-health-canada/

24D is fine and no, people did not put so much on that it became a hazard, and no that wasn't the reason ON outlawed it. It has very low toxicity to non-weeds, and especially animals. I had a friend who's dog ate an entire 24D weed bar and the dog was fine.

It is considered the most studied and researched chemical on the planet, not to mention that it has been used for over 50 years. It has been reviewed as part of a class of chemicals that are amongst the most tightly and extensively evaluated, as well as routinely re-evaluated. Plus it is reviewed independently and redundantly across the world with many governments and organizations. Even with all sorts of testing it remains approved for use in Canada and many other places all over the world. The Canada PMRA recently re-reviewed again (and again and again) with approval.

24D banning in ON was another libtard political mouth exercise. There was no safety or health issue around the banning of it. Purely political.

Ontarian's get the type of government they deserve and voted for.

It's totally your choice, I never said 2,4D caused cancer I just said I prefer to use compounds that I know won't cause any adverse affects on my pets. I'm not all that fussed about a few weeds though, like I say, mow anything down and it all looks green.

Gosh I missed the bit written about acetic acid above. Ok, we can do a test, I'll drink some dilute acetic acid and you can drink some dilute 2,4D. Deal? Can I have some chips and a bit of battered fish with mine though please?

Ya know, acetic acid has been shown to have carcinogenic effects. But lets not get facts in the way of WAGs.

No, 24D does not cause cancer. It has been researched over and over.
http://www.producer.com/2016/04/24-d-doesnt-cause-cancer-health-canada/

24D is fine and no, people did not put so much on that it became a hazard, and no that wasn't the reason ON outlawed it. It has very low toxicity to non-weeds, and especially animals. I had a friend who's dog ate an entire 24D weed bar and the dog was fine.

It is considered the most studied and researched chemical on the planet, not to mention that it has been used for over 50 years. It has been reviewed as part of a class of chemicals that are amongst the most tightly and extensively evaluated, as well as routinely re-evaluated. Plus it is reviewed independently and redundantly across the world with many governments and organizations. Even with all sorts of testing it remains approved for use in Canada and many other places all over the world. The Canada PMRA recently re-reviewed again (and again and again) with approval.

24D banning in ON was another libtard political mouth exercise. There was no safety or health issue around the banning of it. Purely political.

Ontarian's get the type of government they deserve and voted for.

For the most part, I agree with what you're saying but it's not entirely harmless unless properly diluted. While I agree there is no evidence linking 2-4-D to cancer, even though it has been around for 50 years, there is evidence it does other things:

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/24-d-most-dangerous-pesticide-youve-never-heard

More conclusive is the proof that 2,4-D falls into a class of compounds called endocrine-disrupting chemicals, compounds that mimic or inhibit the body's hormones. Laboratory studies suggest that 2,4-D can impede the normal action of estrogen, androgen, and most conclusively, thyroid hormones. Dozens of epidemiological, animal, and laboratory studies have shown a link between 2,4-D and thyroid disorders. "That's really important when we're thinking about development," says Kristi Pullen, a staff scientist in NRDC's Health program. "Our thyroid works to ensure the proper timing and development of the brain."

Regardless, it is still very far from being a hazard when used properly. As for drinking a glass of it, I believe the CEO of Dupont did just that, undiluted, to prove that it is a harmless chemical. It does NOT cause cancer and the vast body of evidence available prove that. It is also NOT "Agent Orange" the stuff used in Vietnam that contained polychlorinated biphenyls like dioxin. Those lies have been suggestively spread around by the CBC and David Suzuki, among others.

It would be interesting to know if Patrick Brown will lift the ban on 2-4-D.

For the most part, I agree with what you're saying but it's not entirely harmless unless properly diluted. While I agree there is no evidence linking 2-4-D to cancer, even though it has been around for 50 years, there is evidence it does other things:

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/24-d-most-dangerous-pesticide-youve-never-heard

Regardless, it is still very far from being a hazard when used properly. As for drinking a glass of it, I believe the CEO of Dupont did just that, undiluted, to prove that it is a harmless chemical. It does NOT cause cancer and the vast body of evidence available prove that. It is also NOT "Agent Orange" the stuff used in Vietnam that contained polychlorinated biphenyls like dioxin. Those lies have been suggestively spread around by the CBC and David Suzuki, among others.

It would be interesting to know if Patrick Brown will lift the ban on 2-4-D.

I thought he declined to drink it. Regardless, I've worked in labs for 20 years, I'm not scared of "chemicals" in the slightest, I just know that when less toxic alternatives are available you should use them.

Does anyone have vanilla orchids?

Always wanted one. I have "normal" orchids. I've seen Vanilla orchids growing and was lucky enough to see one in flower (the flowers only last for a day so it's rare). It was growing like a long vine so pretty different to the ones I have at home.

Always wanted one. I have "normal" orchids. I've seen Vanilla orchids growing and was lucky enough to see one in flower (the flowers only last for a day so it's rare). It was growing like a long vine so pretty different to the ones I have at home.

I would love one too. i didn't realize that that they only lasted such a short time. it wasn't in Canada that u saw it was it?
if you like orchids you should see the ones they have in Japan they are huge compared to the ones we have here

I recall they had a really nice orchid display at the Niagara Botanical Gardens, but can't recall if they had any white ones there.

I would love one too. i didn't realize that that they only lasted such a short time. it wasn't in Canada that u saw it was it?
if you like orchids you should see the ones they have in Japan they are huge compared to the ones we have here

I went to an orchid reserve in Panama. I've been a few times to the same one. They preserve rare orchids in a nursery there and they have other weird and wonderful pants too. I have a (professional) interest in medicinal plants. No, not those kind of medicinal plants.

I just picked up an Eastern Redbud (Cercis canadensis) today. One of my favourite small trees.

Mine is really small right now, but hopefully I can get it to look like this after a few years
63d12071245cbd349f90adc60165c86b.jpg

Last edited:
Though not as impressive, I recently became the proud owner of some blueberry bushes.

Big @#$ garden in over May long. Something like 22 potato hills alone. I also planted a few cherry trees (5 and 6 ft at planting) and did a professional spring prep job on the raspberry bushes.

The garden also included snow peas and regular peas (6 rows), cucumbers, carrots, three types of onions, regular and cherry tomato plants, chinese greens, bok choi, chinese radish, chinese lettuce, etc. Ever present is a rhubarb plant, dill and I put in another milkweed plant for the monarch butterflies.

The expectations are for much goodness. :blob7:

Last edited:
Just heard on the radio Home Depot is selling ORGANIC garden soil.
What do I get if I go to another store? NOT-ORGANIC dirt?

Just heard on the radio Home Depot is selling ORGANIC garden soil.
What do I get if I go to another store? NOT-ORGANIC dirt?
Yes.
I'm not sure of all the details, but iirc dirt must be pesticide free for 7 years to be deemed organic. I sourced some when I made my vegetable garden. Doesn't make sense to grow your own organic food if the dirt is contaminated imho.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Damn. Now you made me google dirt!
Seems like soil with dead stuff in it can be called organic. No mention of being pesticide free.

Gov.on.ca : Organic soils, commonly called peat or muck, have developed from plant residues ...

Wiki: Soil organic matter (SOM) is the organic matter component of soil, consisting of plant and animal residues at various stages of decomposition

Dengarden.com: Organic soil contains carbon based material that is living or once-living....The scientific definition of organic soil is "Of, relating to, or derived from living matter."
Non-organic soil media consists of materials that have been manufactured and free of nutrients and contaminants. Perlite, vermiculite, expanded clay aggregate, and rockwool...

Meridian-Webster: soil composed mostly of plant material

Encyclopedia.com: Organic soil Soil with a high content of organic matter and water. The term usually refers to peat. The USDA defines an organic soil as one with a minimum of 20–30 per cent organic matter, ...

Now I want to go look at the bags at Home Depot. If it is not pesticide free dirt, then wtf is the point of labelling it organic? Besides the obvious that dirt is in fact organic matter (confirmed in post above?)

I went on and googled "pesticide free soil".

Scientific America: What makes organic farming different, then? It's not the use of pesticides, it's the origin of the pesticides used. Organic pesticides are those that are derived from natural sources and processed lightly if at all before use. This is different than the current pesticides used by conventional agriculture, which are generally synthetic.

Full article is a scary read.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...01-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/#

So my mum is a huge fan of gardening except our veggie garden is constantly being ravaged by squirrels and other uninvited furry creatures. Any suggestions on how to deter them from coming back?

So my mum is a huge fan of gardening except our veggie garden is constantly being ravaged by squirrels and other uninvited furry creatures. Any suggestions on how to deter them from coming back?
Fence.

Back
Top Bottom