Anyone into gardening here? | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

I got some heirloom seeds from a friend. I have about 7 to 8 varieties including purple ones, striped ones, some beef including a beefsteak yellow one called pineapple pig that is delicious and a few different cherry ones. I planted them so I'd have a range across the season but I got around to putting them in late so I'm only just getting my first ones now. Hoping the season is a little longer for the beefsteak ones to ripen.

If they taste like 7 or 8 varieties of tomato I'd say well done. Nutrition should be Job#1 but gosh darn it, how about a little taste?

My favourite tomato is the traditional beefsteak but they can be ugly Think Popeye sucking on a lemon.

Micro climates:

Earlier I lamented the lack of blossoms on my crab apple tree and Shane related the same problem with cherry blossoms in High Park, all due to the whacky weather in the spring. No blossoms = no fruit = no crab apple jelly.

About 10 kms west of me I found some trees loaded with fruit to the point the branches were sagging. This morning was a crab apple cook up.

A lot of my large tomatoes are suffering from blossom end rot but luckily my smaller cherry tomatoes don't have this problem.

I harvest beets and carrots today. I also replanted spinach, kale and sewed new seeds of cabbage.

Anyone have a good deterrent of plan of action against rabbits?
***** are back for another year, another burrow in my small backyard.

Thinking of a mixture of baby soap, vinegar, and cayenne pepper...

@MSRP raccoons took care of my rabbit problem.
Now I have a raccoon problem ?.
When the rabbits were at their worst, I resorted to putting a makeshift fence around the garden.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

@MSRP raccoons took care of my rabbit problem.
Now I have a raccoon problem .
When the rabbits were at their worst, I resorted to putting a makeshift fence around the garden.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Thankfully I have no garden for them to eat nor destroy besides a big basil plant.
I'm just irritated at the generational "memory" as these fiddlesticks have burrowed in the exact same spot as the previous two years... my kindness is growing thin... starting to think less and less of an volun-told eviction plan..

Just plant some carrots for the cute little bunnies.

Cayenne pepper is good - remember that it might wash away after a few rainfalls or a really heavy one. I know people that have had success with just using black pepper from the kitchen for raccoons. I used to have a big raccoon problem in Toronto and used the cayenne powder a few times over the season and that kept them away.

I remember the lawn grub craziness a few years back. Racoons and skunks were digging up backyards at a furious rate. Lots of cayenne pepper was sold but didn't seem to deter the critters much.

Haven't done vegetable gardening in years. Totally loved it, all the way from seeds and soil prep to homemade tomato sauces, roasted peppers and cucumber pickles (boiling vinegar and salt is a real witch's brew). I should probably start again soon, though our dearly departed cat won't be around to defend the territory from vermin.

My lawns were always a mess from the varmints until i started using nematodes spring and fall.

My tomatoes finally tomatoed!

happy chick!

That's late. Better late than never though. :) IME I do multiple plants because literally only 1 in every 3 or 4 really ever takes off. I do like the cherry mini tomato options because when they take off they produce early and produce often, all the way until the frost events.

It is late, and the cherry tomatoes are just coming too. Not sure what happened.

Sprouts in a mason jar are this summers' awesome discovery. My nephews and niece have their own kits and love watching them grow. Unfortunately they are not too keen on eating them so my sisters are cursing me as they can't consume them fast enough.

One of my kale varieties is getting some weird rot happening at the base of the stems and causing the leaves to mutate. It's the type of kale I am least fond of, so I'll be cutting it all down on Sunday.

A nice variety of cukes is the straight eight's. They are big and great.

Started my tomatoes on time this year and planted them in 12" of really rich compost mixed with nice soil. No fertilizer at all for any of the veggies - just the original compost/soil mix. This is today's harvest and have already picked this much at least 5 times so far. Not as flavourful as last year's varieties, but still quite good.
IMG_4662-L.jpg

Anybody know where I can get perennial seeds at a good price?

Back
Top Bottom