Anyone into gardening here? | Page 26 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170728/2b049d09a1bf46352f5418a4815c7fb7.jpg[/IMG

Obviously not in my garden but anyone have an idea what kind of tree this is in my backyard with all these berries?

Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90398]GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app [/url]

It was a mature one in a big pot with all kinds of babies waiting to mature and I hadn't tasted a real tomato for so long I was desperate. It also came with some tasty herbs.

Also I'm working on an experiment and, getting a late start, it would have cost me a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD2iYSKHHzo

I get the cheap tomato award. I planted beefsteak and cherry tomatoe seeds directly into the garden. The plants are 5'-6' tall with lots of green tomatoes but nothing red yet. the seeds came from tomatoes I harvested last season. The cherry are smaller 4'. I love being in the garden.

Round up is nasty poison to all life forms - good to see folks posting alternatives.
and yeah, my garden is all organic..

Last edited:
2b049d09a1bf46352f5418a4815c7fb7.jpg

Obviously not in my garden but anyone have an idea what kind of tree this is in my backyard with all these berries?
Looks like a Prunus virginiana - also known as a Chokecherry.

Looks like a Prunus virginiana - also known as a Chokecherry.
Ah. The dreaded Chokecherry. You may recall that I have the Shubert variety.
Black rot one year (or whatever you call it)
The caterpillar issue last year (the one that is killing all the trees)
I planted it when my oldest was born. I named it after him; "The Joshua Tree".
Has given me nothing but headaches since arrival...the tree as well.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Choke Cherries are the best. You can make jelly with them, juice, pretend you're like true native Indians and make pemmican with them. You need an indian pear tree next to them. But yeah, they really attract the tent caterpillars.

The birds love them.

Thanks, this is the first year I've noticed the berries on it, and there are a LOT.
My tree was a good size when I planted it. Berries came in iirc ~3 years later.

My tree was a good size when I planted it. Berries came in iirc ~3 years later.

There is a larger tree in the back corner of my lot that likely had berries on it in previous years without me noticing as it is behind a shed. This is a smaller tree towards the front of the shed near my garden that is likely only a few years old so that makes sense as to why I haven't seen the berries until this year.

Anyone got any good harvests this season?

I grew less veggies than in the past, but daily harvesting of herbs, greens and tomatoes are awesome.

I grew less veggies than in the past, but daily harvesting of herbs, greens and tomatoes are awesome.

Lots of crab-apples. And rhubarb. When the world ends rats, cockroaches and rhubarb will survive.

The cherry tomatoes came in late this year but have been plentiful since they did. Kale also did very well this year. The hot peppers had an issue with bugs earlier in the season so didn't yield quite as well as last year but still did reasonably well. Unfortunately the lettuce and celery were pretty much a write off.

Will not be doing lettuce next year.
I don't pick it quick enough and it turns into a stem. Not sure what the term is. In Italian we say "spiggata" (sp?). Will stick with tomates cukes zucchini peppers and onions

Biggest tomato harvest I ever had and there may be one more left. Wife has been canning them for weeks. Regularly picking 1lb+ beefsteaks off the plants and they taste great. Had all heritage varieties this year and the only one that disappointed was one called Pineapple Pig. A yellow beefsteak. Tastes amazing but the bugs really liked it, slugs attacked them when they could.

Need to have a tomato weigh-off. My tomatoes are huge this year. Cherry tomatoes galore too. Still haven't brought my Canteloupe in yet. Wet weather plants loved it this year.

I got two cantaloupes too a few weeks back. They were delicious. Mine were grown under cover though.

Here's something I've been meaning to get for a while and thought others would be interested; a tight weave net for catching crab apples on the lawn underneath my crab apple tree. I got this product and it's doing the job well. I'm quite happy with it so far.

https://www.amazon.ca/Easy-Gardener-6030-BirdBlock-28-Feet/dp/B00004RA0M/

I gave a jar of my crabapple jelly to my daughter and she did a pork tenderloin using the jelly as a glaze. She said it was good but I never got a taste.

Back
Top Bottom