Anyone into gardening here? | Page 37 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

Grind it up and put it on your garden. It insulates, great for most perennials, and in the spring worms devour leaf litter which helps the garden. It helps your perennial flowers, it works against your perennial grasses.

Don't slugs like it too or do they just hide in it?

Hey Shane, best way to get rid of a Ant colony?

b391827c1c87b672d7f48ff3df3a927b.jpg
Hey Jay,
There's lots of different things you can do. I prefer to do things naturally, so that could mean raking the area out once a week, or applying light dish soap solutions or light vinegar solutions, or diatomaceous earth.

Have a read here for lots of other things you can do:https://homeguides.sfgate.com/rid-ants-yard-naturally-48822.html

I have lots of brake cleaner laying around :)

Fun for one! Or two....invite me over to the show, I'll bring the Guinness!

Just about to try and winter my geraniums. See how that goes, first time trying it

Fun for one! Or two....invite me over to the show, I'll bring the Guinness!

Just about to try and winter my geraniums. See how that goes, first time trying it

Guinness in a can, that would kill the colony :)

Safety:

I'm not in the medical field so naive on many things medical. I'm aware of the history of Legionnaires disease but assumed that it was under control after the outbreak in the mid 1970's.

Then a few weeks ago cousin came down with it with a vengeance. Life support, kidney failure, induced coma, double pneumonia, etc. Hers may have been due to a poorly maintained hot tub but as I read up on the disease it turns out that compost is also a good way of picking up the nasty thing.

Apparently you're supposed to wear a respirator when flicking the crap about.

Are there other hidden surprises lurking in the garden?

The most obvious is the muscle / back issues from over zealous digging etc followed by falling out of the apple tree.

Raccoon crap contains a parasite that you can inhale from dried feces.

Then there's the Agatha Christie collection of garden shed poisons.

Any other head's ups?

Is anyone starting seedlings for a spring garden yet?
Too early for me. I like starting Mar 15, days are pretty short so you need a light garden to prevent seedlings from getting too leggy. The only ones I start now are Castors and brugmansia, I always plant a few for fun -- they get huge! I move stuff outside into coldframes late April, stuff is almost same as nursery stock by May 10.

My garden got destroyed in our home reno and the ground all over the front and back is super compacted now. Time to change things up!

My greenhouse is too cold to start seedlings inside it but I'll be starting rosemary indoors soon, along with broccoli. I'll pull the plastic wrap over my hoop houses and hope the soil will start to warm up by the time the broccoli is ready to go outside. I'm going to sow a lot of lettuce, kale, spinach and radishes and yank them all out once the frost dates are past and I can start on warm weather crops.

Is anyone starting seedlings for a spring garden yet?
I start this weekend. First thing is to wake up the dormant peppers, hibiscus, mandivilla and brugmansia - they come out of the coldroom and get their first sunlight and drink of the season.

Next are the seeds for cannas, castor beans, and dahlia rhizomes - they can all go under the lights now.

Heirloom pepper plants in 2 weeks, the rest I'm gonna buy this year.

Already set taps in the maples. Sap started running Feb 18th last year, still not a drop yet this year, could start running on Sunday.

I've had some germinations already for my indoor seeds. My broccoli and cauliflower have popped.

So who is growing marijuana this year? Allowed up to four plants. I was thinking of doing it as an experiment, just to see if I can do it. Worried neighbor's kids might raid my garden though, so I might put plants on my upstairs deck. Anyone trying it out?

Advice needed: We have two potted vine plants with scafolding. Similar to or is a
Heartleaf Philodendron
They have been easy to grow and have been fine for two years. The past 6mo they have barely any leaves and always look close to death. Tried putting in front of glass patio doors for sunshine and also tried miracle grow. Neither seemed to do any good. Any ideas?

Advice needed: We have two potted vine plants with scafolding. Similar to or is a
Heartleaf Philodendron
They have been easy to grow and have been fine for two years. The past 6mo they have barely any leaves and always look close to death. Tried putting in front of glass patio doors for sunshine and also tried miracle grow. Neither seemed to do any good. Any ideas?
Post up a pic to make sure it's the Philodendron. Check for pests, excessively root bound soil or maybe something else is going on in the soil. I've had a couple indoor plants in the past that some soil based pathogen and so I carefully removed the plants form the soil, washed the roots and then repotted them back into new pots with new soil and have not had any issues since.

So who is growing marijuana this year? Allowed up to four plants. I was thinking of doing it as an experiment, just to see if I can do it. Worried neighbor's kids might raid my garden though, so I might put plants on my upstairs deck. Anyone trying it out?
You can do it. It's no harder than riding a bike or doing an oil change. Just post your questions up here if you have problems.
I will incorporate them in to my garden and no one will even know they are there. I want to grow some strains I can give my MIL for her cancer therapy. Start them early and grow a QP per plant easily.

Philodendron is an easy plant to grow indoors -- they thrive on neglect. Here are a couple of things to check
  1. Any light is fine. The only caution is strong direct sunlight can stunt or make them go dormant for a while.
  2. They like tight shoes in well drained soil. The pot should be about 1-2" larger than the root ball.
  3. While the don't need much maintenance, they do need periodic cleaning as they will get choked by dust. In the summer just set them outside for a while, wind and rain will do the trick. Inside you need to wipe off both sides of the leaves with a soft cloth and water.
  4. Lots of water in the summer when they are growing, let soil go dry between watering because in the winter they hardly grow.

Heartleaf Philodendron

I had a really sick looking philodendron a few years back. I put it outside this past summer in a semi shaded spot with a decent bit of sunshine and it came back and grew a few feet. Keep it watered but not waterlogged, these are rainforest plants that climb trees to get their light. Did you provide a bit of support for it? They have suckers that help them climb.

Too early for me. I like starting Mar 15, days are pretty short so you need a light garden to prevent seedlings from getting too leggy. The only ones I start now are Castors and brugmansia, I always plant a few for fun -- they get huge! I move stuff outside into coldframes late April, stuff is almost same as nursery stock by May 10.

You know to watch those two with pets about? Only when they set seeds mainly though.

Sorry I'm no good at posting photos as I'm tech-challenged. There's maybe 4-5 leaves on each plant now so dusting them isn't a concern :(
The pots are around 12" across and the plants were about 2-3ft high (wooden lattice in pot). They were outside the past two years during summers in direct sun by the pool and did great. Even did well in winters by the window inside. Soil hasn't been changed in 3yrs but I did add a bit more to the top. Doesn't look disturbed so I don't think the cat has done anything in there. Maybe when it's warmer I'll pull them and change the soil and check how bunched up the roots are.

You know to watch those two with pets about? Only when they set seeds mainly though.
I don't worry about these -- my cat and dog as well as several squirrel, raccoon, skunk and rabbit families have survived my toxic garden. They are no more dangerous than other in my yard -- hydrangea, foxglove, lily of the valley and reapers come to mind.

My biggest fear is the teenagers using the walkway beside my house will figure out brugmansia is hallucinogenic. Here is a very unfortunate case of a 18 old using the flower as a drug.

Back
Top Bottom