Anyone into gardening here? | Page 20 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

In lieu of proper snow plowing the city here decided to send in a front-end loader to scrape up all the loose frozen asphalt and dump it onto my lawn and garden, along with gravel and ice.
Any advice on how to get it out?
I've raked it with a couple of different types of rakes, but now there's still some small stuff sitting on top of the grass.

In lieu of proper snow plowing the city here decided to send in a front-end loader to scrape up all the loose frozen asphalt and dump it onto my lawn and garden, along with gravel and ice.
Any advice on how to get it out?
I've raked it with a couple of different types of rakes, but now there's still some small stuff sitting on top of the grass.
That sucks. I'd use a backpack blower and a strong fan rake and just spend the time.

None of my cold weather seeds that I sowed outdoors have sprouted. I may have to re-sow them.

I knew a guy that had a competition going with his BIL over who would get tomatoes first. Then BIL moved to Vancouver and figured he's get a head start. Not so. The soil temps were lower even though there wasn't frost or snow and tomatoes need 55° F to get going. BIL lost the bet.

I used to work for a company that sold soil heating cables for just that reason.

I have quite a few tomatoes that are doing quite nicely indoors. I may have spotted some radish germination outside. I will investigate further.

Seems all the spring flowering trees and shrubs and ephemerals are putting out lots of flowers this year. The cherry trees in High Park and elsewhere are pretty stunning. My front yard is exploding right now and every day new stuff is either blooming or growing like crazy.

Hey guys I've been looking to Bonsai a Japanese Maple. I've got one in the back fully grown, any good guides out there on how to Bonsai that?

Hey guys I've been looking to Bonsai a Japanese Maple. I've got one in the back fully grown, any good guides out there on how to Bonsai that?
Paging @shanekingsley

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

It's too late. Plus you don't have 50 years do ya? I was into bonsai ages ago. Had I kept up I'd have great ones now.

If you want to start you need to take a cutting from it and start there. https://www.bonsaiempire.com/basics

There are no short-cuts. Moreover its the journey not the destination, that is the pursuit.

here...20 min to bonsai...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anyWlUK6E-k

lol

I like the root ball method though. And since you already have the mature tree, I'd go that root. :)

Last edited:
I'm young, 23. I've got loads of time ?. Thanks for the link.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I've got sunflowers, cukes, tomatoes, pumpkin, and 4 o'clocks from seed, courtesy of the the window at work. Just waiting to ground em. Plus basil, onions and cilantro for my planters.

MAY your gardens grow.

Outside I have spinach, arugula, shallots, garlic and spring onions all up and growing. Under cover I've got a selection of tomatoes (early, late and kind of middle plus some Tumbler hanging basket toms), some melon plants up, couple of cucumbers but they don't look very well. Bunch of herb seedlings up too under cover. Got an amazingly strong looking lovage plant come back up in the garden too. Some interesting salads this year I think. Sowed lettuce, and a ton of flower seeds this weekend too. Lots of marigolds that I plan to put among the veggies. I read they keep some bugs away. The cheap jysk greenhouse also withstood the storms these past few days and seems to have been a great investment.

I have outdoor germination from my spinach, lettuce and kale. My leeks, as far as I know, haven't appeared yet and my beets are still tiny.

My indoor melon collection is getting large, as are my peppers and tomatoes.

This weekend I will be snipping some strawberry runners and propagating them elsewhere in my yard.

That thing looks pretty sweet. and puts out a lot of light for just starting plants. I like that it has a pretty low power consumption, puts out a relatively full spectrum of light for veg and flowering growth and I'm interested to read more about how the IR light affects plant growth.

How much did that thing cost delivered to your door?

$280. for the 2000 watt. I went big because I was told they aren't that powerful (wrong!). Things are growing like crazy under it. I almost already have zucchinis and the tomatoes look like they're going to start flowering soon. I have to raise it quite high or the leaves turn down because of too much light. Consider the 1000-1500 watt model. It occurs to me I could grow things year-round with this thing.

I'm really bummed about the weather. This weekend will be frost up here. I should have things in the ground by now.

I covered my little sprouts with vapor barrier. I'll also be using the vapor barrier to heat up the soil when I attempt melons, peppers, corn and peanuts.

Shane, i need some houseplant information if you would be so kind.
I have a 50ish year old Jade plant that needs some attention. The pruning i think i can handle but watching too many Youtube clips on re-potting has me confused.
I know not to increase the size of the pot dramatically and earthenware is preferable but what soil should i be using?
Would equal parts, perlite, sand and indoor potting soil work?

Believe or not this brute has been in the same plastic tub with no drain holes for at least 45 years.
Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom