Anyone into gardening here? | Page 27 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

I gave a jar of my crabapple jelly to my daughter and she did a pork tenderloin using the jelly as a glaze. She said it was good but I never got a taste.
That's not right....not right at all!

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

So my dad planted parsley and basil in my garden. I have dried some of the parsley, but there is a ton more. And nobody here likes pesto but me....
So if anyone wants to pass by, the basil and parsley is yours.

So my dad planted parsley and basil in my garden. I have dried some of the parsley, but there is a ton more. And nobody here likes pesto but me....
So if anyone wants to pass by, the basil and parsley is yours.

What kind of weirdo doesn't like good pesto?

What kind of weirdo doesn't like good pesto?
...my wife and kids....although, not sure if you can call my pesto 'good'.

Mmm pesto. Most of my herbs got bugged this year.

Have a 10ft sunflower in front yard, still hasn't shown her face. Pretty impressive though.

Tomatoes are still going but cukes few and stunted. My Hops along the fence are growing like crazy and morning glories didn't bloom but spread along back fence. Funny things.

Grr - still have grass growing, by this time I normally don't have to worry about front

I think I saw ground beef on sale. I have a lot of time on my hands right now, might try that recipe this week. Thanks @nobbie48
@meme you gonna be around my hood anytime? Basil is yours.
Cukes died early as well.
Zucchini was great at first, but after everything happening here, garden was neglected.
The tomatoes now are not as juicy as the earlier ones...they remind me of store bought commercially farmed ones.
I have a few green peppers starting to get big.

My toms are nearly all frost damaged sadly. Morning Glory...same....lots of leaves, no flowers yet. Still harvesting chillies and there's a couple of small cantaloupes but I think the season will end before they ripen. I got two nice ones of the plants a while back though. The squirrels have left me one large sunflower in full bloom....so anyday now they will hack it down and steal it.

I have 4 large brussel sprouts plants growing in the same bed. One of them is utterly infested with aphids and the other 3 don't have a thing on them. All four plants are a bout the same size and I don't fertilize anything - just heavily amend my beds with homemade compost. Weird.

I take a few cuttings of basil and leave them in a glass cup on a window ledge all winter and it produces fresh leaves whenever I need them.

Still have a few tomato plants producing but that doesn't look like it will last much longer. Once these temps go down the kale and swiss chard should start to pick up again. I planted Lemon Verbena and Rosemary this year directly into the garden and it grew really well. That stuff smells awesome.

Somewhere I heard that tomatoes needed soil temperatures above 55° F or they won't grow.

The end of September used to be a love / hate thing for me. The first frost killed the ragweed that had me sniffling all summer but it also meant a return to plastic tomatoes.

When is the right time to lop a few of the higher branches off my crab-apple tree?

Had a decent crop this year so a bit of nice jelly but it's hard to get to the top ones.

Sorry haven't been here in a bit to see this. For the soil type to use, just use straight up potting mix, because a decent potting mix already has perlite and vermiculite in it as well as peat. No need to add sand, because the drainage will be sufficient with the perlite and vermiculite in there, while water retention is gained by the peat. You should make sure that the plant is pre-moistened before the transplanting. After transplanting, water it well. About 2-3 weeks later, water it with a 50% diluted solution of 20-20-20. Repeat this same fert regimen again within the next 4 weeks. After a minimum of 6-8 weeks have passed since transplanting, you can now use a regular strength solution of 20-20-20 as needed and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps and let me know if you still have questions. Good luck!

Finally some follow-up on my Jade plant resto.
I wanted to make sure it was still alive after the first repot in 50 years.
I just brought it in the house and the whole package still weighs 100 pounds after a massive trimming. Still needs some final cuts.
Shane, thank you so much for the help.

Last edited:
For the 2018 season, I'm planning to get rid of my front lawn and only have flowers, herbs and vegetables.

In the backyard, I built many raised beds in the fall which I will fill with compost and leaves in the spring. I'm also going to make some hoop houses to start the growing season early.
I've started churning out cold frames that I will put inside the hoop houses to make things even better for the spring plants.

For the 2018 season, I'm planning to get rid of my front lawn and only have flowers, herbs and vegetables.

In the backyard, I built many raised beds in the fall which I will fill with compost and leaves in the spring. I'm also going to make some hoop houses to start the growing season early.
I've started churning out cold frames that I will put inside the hoop houses to make things even better for the spring plants.

Need any glass? I'm throwing out a bunch of window glass, 3/16" and 1/8" from old sashless sliders.

When got rid of my front lawn 5yrs ago, I rented a sod cutter from Home Depot. They typically work really well if there are no major tree roots to tangle with. Once the sod was cut, I then turned all the grass upside down. and laid it neatly on the lawn and waited a few days for it to dry out. I was planning on dumping about 6" of nice new soil on top of it and then another 3" of mulch, so this added material was going to smother any still living grass. If I could not add that much soil/mulch, then I would have laid cardboard down on top of the upside down sod and it would smother it out completely, so that the grass would not start growing. I did the cardboard thing in my backyard for my veggie gardens and it works really well. the After laying my new soil down I planted it up. My garden grows really strong now with this deep root zone I have given it.

When you make your hoop houses, remember that they can reach insanely hot temps inside even during the early spring if it's sunny out, so ensure adequate ventilation, especially if you are going to have coldframes inside the hoop houses.

Your garden will be pretty awesome next year!

And SteveM: That's a pretty sweet indoor garden you have. Glad the Jade worked out and now it looks like you have enough to give lots away.

Help.

Ficus plant. About 7-8 feet tall.

Got it a few months ago from a friend who was moving. Watering it once a week seemed to be okay (it's not too dry, but not wet per say)

With fall/winter, its started losing its leafs a lot with same regimen.

Any tips to revive/revivify? I'm thinking of swapping out the soil in the huge clay pot it's in and add in a bit of fertilizer.

Probably not enough sunlight

In addition to the issue of too little light, a ficus tree growing indoors can be a bit finicky if it has recently been moved. A change in the environment either by moving from one location to another or by the change in seasons can often cause the tree to drop leaves. Is it now located near a window? If so, think about the colder temps near the plant and how they may be affecting the local space around the tree. The ideal location would be bright and warm. Both a cool draft or reduction in sunlight could cause leaf drop, but a reduction in sunlight will also show up as a yellowing or whitening of the newer leaves emerging. A frequent, but marginal amount of leaf drop can be always expected with these trees especially when the seasons change, but if it's shedding more than it is producing, then there could be another stress causing it.

Also make sure that it the soil it is in has good drainage. It can be a little root bound and it won't hurt it. You can tell when it's time to water it by checking to see that the top few inches of the soil profile have started to dry out. Don't overwater it and don't underwater it. Clay pots also tend to draw moisture out of the soil, so if you do transplant it into a different pot to revivify it, it may require a different watering regimen. Lastly, if you do transplant it, start fertilizing it with a high Phosphorus blend @50% strength to aid in root establishment, then move to a more balanced fertilizer regimen after several weeks.

There was a clients place near Casa Loma I used to take care of and she had a 25foot Ficus tree in her house with a massive skylight above it. There was a 3 story elevator that would run up and down beside the tree that had white Italian leather. The tree was always dropping some leaves each day and the housekeeper would sweep the marble floor every day.

So yes, you can revivify it!

Who has started their indoor sowing?

Indoor? Canada? April 17?

GxTbHAh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom