Anyone into gardening here? | Page 31 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/discover/parksandgardens?paf_gear_id=9700018&itemId=200018

I think my daughter had a school trip here once.

Port Credit area on Mississauga.

"Peak Blooming Time at the Gardens
May 29 - Jun 12
Over the next week, rhododendrons and azaleas are expected to be at peak blooming. Some early bloomers are finished for this year but many more are set to open their buds over the coming days. Be sure to cross the bridge(s) to see the 7+ beds in the East Garden."

"Peak Blooming Time at the Gardens
May 29 - Jun 12
Over the next week, rhododendrons and azaleas are expected to be at peak blooming. Some early bloomers are finished for this year but many more are set to open their buds over the coming days. Be sure to cross the bridge(s) to see the 7+ beds in the East Garden."

Thats the only thing really stopping me from getting one is that they are done blooming soon. I want something that lasts all summer and if possible is fragrant.

Argh.....pic issues.
imagejpeg

I start sunflowers early I don't worry about them being floppy or leggy because they can be transplanted deep, right up to the top set of leaves. Less watering, earlier flowers and sturdier stalks.

Wow! This worked amazing! Thanks for the tip.

Rhubard and strawberries aplenty right now. I am attempting my very first homemade pie for dinner tonight with friends. Prob going to end up badly, look more like a crumble than a pie. Meh, as long as it tastes good.

Wow! This worked amazing! Thanks for the tip...
Yeah, nobody believes you can bury sunflowers to make them shorter and sturdier. I only planted a couple this year because the 10million squirrels that inhabit my yard know about sunflowers, they ravage them before they bloom.

Anyone know what type of tree/bush this may be and whether it can be saved? One side has gotten brittle and looks like its been burned. Someone had mentioned some type of Mulberry maybe?
M7tHT9Vh.jpg

TNhwrVLm.jpg
2SE3apXm.jpg
nGmMiwhm.jpg

Looks like a mulbury. You can cut those back almost to the trunk -- in fact they do better if well pruned. That scortched look comes from a blight that can infect mulbury trees - if you see small brown or black dots on the leaves or blackish stripes on new growth, you have blight. Cut off any branches that are dead, then cut back as much as possible in the fall once the leaves drop. Take a cutting of the scorched part to a good tree nursery, they will give you advice on saving the tree.

I'd agree too.

There are a couple of apps out there where you snap a pic of the leaf and it tries to ID it for you. I think one was called picture this. However it requires an android or iPhone to work so I've not been able to use it. Guy at work showed me and it worked well (we knew what the plants were, just confirming).

Besides rhubarb is there another food plant that produces all season? I like rhubarb pie but some variety would be nice.

The early settlers liked rhubarb because it was the first edible thing out of the ground in the spring.

Besides rhubarb is there another food plant that produces all season? I like rhubarb pie but some variety would be nice.

The early settlers liked rhubarb because it was the first edible thing out of the ground in the spring.
Rhubarb doesn't produce all season, it will head to seed soon and after that the stalks and leaves begin storing next year's energy -- if you harvest rhubarb after June your plants may suffer next year.

There is lots of food you can grow and continually harvest:

• Strawberries. Grow them in hanging baskets that get watered daily (or hydro towers) and they fruit all summer. If they slow down in the heat, don't worry -- a few cool days and they will be back.
  • Green Onions, Chives. These grow non-stop and can be continually harvested. Clip green onions a few mm above the root and they will resprout in a few days.
  • Kale. You can start cutting kale in the spring, it doesn't grow much in the summer, then harvest another bounty in the fall when it cools off. Cover kale with a foot high mound of leaves and it will come back in the spring.
  • Cherry tomatoes. They should start producing fruit early July if they were germinated at least 90 days ago. Plant deterministic types in black pots, they do best in full sun and when the roots are warm.
  • Herbs. Lots of herbs are fast growing (basils, parsley, cilantro), others like dill and sages can be harvested non stop.
  • Snap peas. If you harvest the pea early, they keep producing more pea pods.
  • Leafy lettuces. They grow best early and late in the season -- not well during the heat of summer. You can harvest leaves instead of the heads on many varieties. Any red lettuce, Simpson and Butter are the easiest to grow. If you harvest the leaves as you need them, the plant will continue to leaf and gives give you about 4 heads worth of lettuce before it gets tired. Once the plant seeds, chop it off at the ground, fertilize and keep it watered and it will go again in the fall.

@MadMike so instead of cutting my lettuce off at the soil just pull the leaves off?
And I lost you on the green onions. I usually just pull them right out. Are you saying do that, chop the bottom stringy thing off, and put that back in the ground?
Sorry
Still learning

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Borage will produce for a long time too. Often ready to start harvesting in early June and then it does pretty decent for about 4-5 months. And because it self seeds all over the place, I never have to replant it.

@MadMike so instead of cutting my lettuce off at the soil just pull the leaves off?
And I lost you on the green onions. I usually just pull them right out. Are you saying do that, chop the bottom stringy thing off, and put that back in the ground?
Sorry
Still learning

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk
Lettuce - yes, pluck the leaves as you need them instead of waiting til the lettuce is fully grown. It will keep producing leaves. Once it sends up it's seed stalk -- it's over -- cut the whole head off, leave the root in the ground and it will grow another lettuce as long as you keep it watered.

For the green onions, use a paring knife and cut them off just a hair above the roots -- they will immediately regrow another onion. If you prefer pulling the whole onion roots and all, snip off the root, soak it overnight in cool water then plant in back in the garden - it will grow another onion.

Do rabbits eat cucumber leaves/plants? They chomp on maple tree stems here.
I think rabbits will try almost anything. I have about 16 million rabbits in my yard (so many they are dropping their broods out in the open instead of underground), and I have a cat. Rabbits respect cats, they won't wander into cat territory.

I plant catnip (easy to grow perennial) near my gardens, it draws in the local cats -- they are always here partying. I think the scent of car keeps the rabbits at bay, they never nibble my stuff.

My cat is useless....my female dog though has an ever growing list of assassination targets that have been dispatched and laid on a sacrificial altar for us after she’s got bored with them.

My cat is useless....my female dog though has an ever growing list of assassination targets that have been dispatched and laid on a sacrificial altar for us after she’s got bored with them.
My cat is ruthless, anything in his territory is either faster than him or dead. He's 9lbs soaking wet, he thinks nothing of taking on turkeys, foxes, raccoons. He agitates the dogs in the hood too.

My dog, A Siberian, is a wimp. She will chase a squirrel, if the squirrel stops to face her she runs off tail between legs.

Back
Top Bottom