Anyone into gardening here? | Page 32 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

Need some advice.....ready to chop down the mulberry tree.
The other night a family of FIVE raccoons were munching away.
And tonight my wife was sitting on the deck and 2 huge ones wall through the backyard and start eating the ones on the ground.
Never had an issue before but this year the berries are everywhere.
If I get rid of the tree do I get rid of the unwanted guests?
Or suggestions??

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

And tonight my wife was sitting on the deck and 2 huge ones wall through the backyard and start eating the ones on the ground.
Or suggestions??

Eat all the mulberries

My tree from the City of Markham in the front yard is invaded by Japanese Beetles. What can I do? This has been the 3rd years. The leaves were all gone in mid-July last year and we caught more than 100 back then... they are here again this year, half of the leaves are eaten already.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Or suggestions??

Keep the tree, the berries will be gone in about a week, so will the Racoons. They will move along to cherries or whatever else is throwing off dinner in your neighborhood.

That's what my dad said.
Problem is that next year we will have the same issue.....besides, now the boss says maybe we should make room for a pool. :-\

I think the Shubert Chokecherry is on it's way out as well. Diseased again and makes a mess of the interlocking stone.

Will probably be asking soon for advice on low maintenance trees in the near future to replace it.
Keep the tree, the berries will be gone in about a week, so will the Racoons. They will move along to cherries or whatever else is throwing off dinner in your neighborhood.

Garden is producing nicely now. Lots of peas, onions, dill and chinese veg at the moment. Tons and tons of raspberries as well. Far too much in fact. Here's a recent picture.
attachment.php

Check out the 5 foot tall cherry tomato plant :toothy10::eek:ccasion9:
attachment.php

This is a new breed of blonde cucumber recently available for gardens here; it's called a martini cucumber and is excellent!
attachment.php

Here's a meal completely out of the garden. Cast iron skillet potatoes with fresh potatoes, onions and dill. Seasoned with Club House spicy pepper medley seasoning. Glorious. :agave:
attachment.php

attachment.php

My tree from the City of Markham in the front yard is invaded by Japanese Beetles. What can I do? This has been the 3rd years. The leaves were all gone in mid-July last year and we caught more than 100 back then... they are here again this year, half of the leaves are eaten already.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I have the same issue, here's what I do.

1) Spray. I use a mixture of 1 tsp of dishwash detergent to 1l of water, I spray all the impacted plants once a week including my trees.

2) I keep a a few cans 1/2 filled with cheap fruit cocttail -- let is sit in the sun and ferment, the beetles are attracted to is (so are wasps so be careful).

You're too late now, but in lates sept then again in June apply grub control to your lawn. Either Sevin or nematodes, same stuff you use for white grubs. This will control the local breeding.

I have the same issue, here's what I do.

1) Spray. I use a mixture of 1 tsp of dishwash detergent to 1l of water, I spray all the impacted plants once a week including my trees.

2) I keep a a few cans 1/2 filled with cheap fruit cocttail -- let is sit in the sun and ferment, the beetles are attracted to is (so are wasps so be careful).

You're too late now, but in lates sept then again in June apply grub control to your lawn. Either Sevin or nematodes, same stuff you use for white grubs. This will control the local breeding.

Does neem oil work on these critters? I’m a little concerned about something else as I saw some caterpillars hanging from silk this morning and am hoping I’m not about to get an infestation of the things like I did a few years back when they cocooned my apple trees.

Does neem oil work on these critters? I’m a little concerned about something else as I saw some caterpillars hanging from silk this morning and am hoping I’m not about to get an infestation of the things like I did a few years back when they cocooned my apple trees.
Look back in this thread last year or the year before sometime iirc. My chokecherry had a similar issue and Shane gave some advice. For the life of me I can't remember the name of them or the solution.

Neem does work, but it's only effective at stopping reproduction. If you have the beetles now, try the soapy solution. I use a 2 gallon garden sprayers and wand.

I shoot caterpillars nests down with a garden hose of pressure washer, you can also down an established nest with 'One Shop' wasp spray.

Thanks again Mike for the sunflowers tip. I have hedge of them between 3-7feet tall (diff varieties) the is about 20 feet long. They Re just starting to bloom. Reds and yellows.

Other than that I'm into my 3rd crop of peas, tomatoes are loving the heat and peppers are coming along nicely.

However cukes did not survive this year! Not sure what happened, the vines are growing but no cucumbers. The only other year I had this issue was with an earwig infestation and that is not happening this year.

My sister was saying the same thing yesterday about the cukes. I just figured they may be late?

Blossom end rot on a few toms.....slightly concerned. Hopefully it’s just the one variety, I had some cherry tomatoes this evening and they were fantastic.

More than almost anything in the garden I'd miss cucumbers. Sorry to hear about all the cucumber problems. I had a bad cucumber year last year with very little production and was hoping for much better results this year. So far, they haven't spread much but the cucumbers are producing at least, and in my volume I'm happy to be starting to see results.

At least three varieties of cucumbers. :)
attachment.php

i cut up fresh blonde cucumber (martini variety) with some fresh ground pepper, sea salt, ultra premium olive oil and some sugar. :agave:
attachment.php

I also cold-pickled three of the six cucumbers and I'm really looking forward to having them starting today. It's very very easy and very tasty, done fresh style. I'll post up a few pictures when I get a chance.

Some fresh Chinese greens (bok choy style) and Daikon radishes
attachment.php

Tons of fresh dill. I have another three bags too.
attachment.php

I checked out my tomatoes and I have a ton of fresh cherry tomatoes coming :D. Looking forward to that.

I'll be posting up pictures of various garden food in the what's for dinner thread. Check it out.

Cheers!

Last edited:
40 bottles of salsa, 6 different varieties put up in cold cellar yesterday. Should last us for a few months.

Go at it again late August when the Sheppard peppers come in, til then the tomatoes will get frozen

Back
Top Bottom